CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Hi @Martok
i see on your site you replace author avatar with thread mini image like this one:
Capturer.webp

its awesome, can you share how to make like that?
thank you.

EDIT. Ah nevermind, foud it :), i love so much this featured thread feature :love:

Last edited:
This may have been asked and answered before: Is there way for the addon to reset the Featured time/date if a user posts a new comment/reply to an already Featured thread, bumping it to the top of the Featured list? I noticed this action in Facebook groups and saw that it def encourages more activity and commenting.

No, that's not an option.

You can though manually update the featured date which would push it to the top.

Is there an option to control maximum imbedded video size within a featured thread block? If not, is this achievable using CSS?

Last edited:
The content utilises the standard bb code for images, videos, etc., so you can just apply the constraints to those as required.

I can't recall whether XF1 has classes for video embeds (I don't believe so) - if not, you will have to create them in the bb code media site options.

If you only want the constraints to apply to featured thread elements, you will have to use a more specific selector if you use EXTRA.css, otherwise you can use the cta_featuredthreads.css template.

Hello,

I had a customer reporting a bug with one of my add-on along with the following error log :

Though the error is popped out from inside the code of my add-on, the reason behind is that you seem to be retrieving only some fields of the posts table and not the one that are at least expected throughout the default xF code, as the user_id field is missing, and still you are calling some default xF function like the one to merge attachments into posts.

I know I could just put an isset($post['user_id']) to my code but that would lack the functionalities that brings the add-on and I think I could happen to not be the only one that could experience that issue at some point.

Would it be feasible for you to at least ensure that default post fields are retrieved through your public forum controller ?

That would be appreciated,
Thanks

Clément
I only pull the post_id and the attach_count as that's all that's required but I can look at adding the user_id.
Hi,
I too am getting this error. Is there a solution to it? Thanks

I don't believe I ever made any changes for that issue.

I think I decided that it was up to other add-on authors to catch errors in their code, rather than me modifying my code to account for other add-ons (which is impractical as there are so many add-ons).

How are other boards handling this in terms of migrating to 2.x? Featured Threads has become such an integral part of our site that I do not see us being able to update unless there is a release for featured threads for 2.x.

How are other boards handling this in terms of migrating to 2.x? Featured Threads has become such an integral part of our site that I do not see us being able to update unless there is a release for featured threads for 2.x.

This is the same problem as with any XF1 add-on someone wants to use at an XF2 site:
Don't upgrade to XF2 now or stop using the add-on. ;)

Definitely in the same boat as a lot of you guys. I love this add-on, and I want to upgrade up to XF2... but I'm worried about upgrading & not having this add-on available anymore.

One idea I have is to have a page with widgets as homepage. Some widgets will have latest posts, etc. Some widgets will have static contents. That may be suitable to most forums until we have a better solution.

I'll be honest, real life is taking priority at the moment (and will for some time), and as I don't plan to upgrade my own site to XF2, there isn't an overwhelming urge to rewrite the add-on for XF2.

If and when I do, it's going to require a radical rethink as a lot of the functionality can now be achieved with built in XF code (widget positions and home page, for example).

So the first step would be looking at the existing feature set and deciding what to carry over and what to drop.
It may just be better to revert to pure featured thread functionality as it was originally, dropping the portal bit, as that can be achieved natively now.

Appreciate the fact that there is more important things than making this XF 2 compatible. We all have our priorities.
dropping the portal bit, as that can be achieved natively now.
I keep reading and thinking it's possible but not actually knowing exactly the step to do it: create router, pages, add widgets, etc.

Top Bottom