CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Another request: For users with no avatars, could you have a setting to exclude the big ugly gray question mark box that appears in place of the avatar? I'm finding that I don't want to feature threads by users with no avatars for this very reason--that the empty box will look stupid up there.
Agree, or maybe add some default featured thread avatar!

The default avatar is core XenForo functionality in the case of members who have chosen not to upload one.

Perhaps having their threads featured will encourage your members to upload one.

The default avatar is core XenForo functionality in the case of members who have chosen not to upload one.

I know that. But it's ugly in the featured thread box. That was my point. That avatar acts as a kind of visual accompaniment to the teaser text. It not only looks ugly when it's blank; it's also confusing because the stock no-avatar avatar is a question mark.

Perhaps having their threads featured will encourage your members to upload one.
Maybe, but default featured thread avatar could be nice too.

I won't be changing that I'm afraid.

There are several options: remove the avatar block, don't feature threads by members who haven't uploaded an avatar, or replace the default avatars.

There are several options: remove the avatar block, don't feature threads by members who haven't uploaded an avatar, or replace the default avatars.

Where are those options? I see only "maximum featured" and "maximum content length." Are those in the newest version?

I'm afraid to upgrade because I'm not sure yet whether that newer version breaks the layout we have, which I like.

Where are those options? I see only "maximum featured" and "maximum content length." Are those in the newest version?

I'm afraid to upgrade because I'm not sure yet whether that newer version breaks the layout we have, which I like.

Options at your disposal. you can venture into the style properties >> cta featured threads >> avatar and add in the css to hide it, or do it via extra.css template.

Options at your disposal. you can venture into the style properties >> cta featured threads >> avatar and add in the css to hide it, or do it via extra.css template.

Ah, I was looking for check boxes and such. Okay. Thanks.

The latest version (1.1.0) won't break anything from 1.0.0.

All it does is add a few features, improve the functionality and replace how the overlay loads - adapting to fit posts with a small or large amount of content.

I would (again) recommend reading the resource and update text to see what is available.

adapting to fit posts with a small or large amount of content.

This is the part that scares me. I don't necessarily want that box changing height all the time. Or maybe I do. Do you have a demo of the latest version running somewhere?

1.0.0 has a fixed height overlay content area, with the height set in the ACP.
This has issues with posts with limited content as there are large blank areas in the content area.

1.1.0 has a minimum number of rows, configurable in the ACP, with the content area automatically expanding up to 300px, if there is enough content.
For large posts it won't have any effect as the height will automatically expand to 300px.
For small posts it gets rid of the blank area.

1.0.0 has a fixed height overlay content area, with the height set in the ACP.
This has issues with posts with limited content as there are large blank areas in the content area.

1.1.0 has a minimum number of rows, configurable in the ACP, with the content area automatically expanding up to 300px, if there is enough content.
For large posts it won't have any effect as the height will automatically expand to 300px.
For small posts it gets rid of the blank area.

Okay, I will try it. Like most people, I like leaving well enough alone and am averse to change. A glass of wine on a good day, and I will be ready.

Oh, and by the way, one can get rid of blankness in the 1.0 version simply by editing the box before featuring.

I just want to say that I think that, for many, this plugin provides functionality that is preferable to xenporta. I know I was considering xenporta because I wanted a way to get something *featured* out front. The trouble with xenporta, for my purposes, was that it was a "portal" front page, divorced from the main forum, which is really what most users want to be in. So finding a way to *feature* content while keeping the user in the forum, where all of the other action is happening (and not by means of sidebar blocks of recent posts, etc.) is really where it's at.

This is my honest opinion.

divorced from the main forum, which is really what most users want to be in.
Which is exactly why I wanted a hybrid portal/index page, which this is part of.

BTW, I would appreciate it if anyone who hasn't yet rated and reviewed does so :)

A sneak preview of what's coming in the next release...

upload_2013-12-5_18-58-16.webp

upload_2013-12-5_19-0-21.webp

Those are two new unrelated features, to clear up any confusion.

Top Bottom