Resource icon

[CTA] Countdown Timer 1.7.5_00_EQnoble

No permission to download
Let me know that all is ok with this addon for you on your end...
Confirmed, working as expected now. Thanks.

when you or Mark can confirm that this solves your issue I will try and add an option to not display seconds.

Yes Please

Could you also please explain "Toggle UTC Adjustments" as I'm still confused. despite the explanation in options. Essentially, with this ticked do I enter the countdown date/time in UTC 00:00 timezone, and with it un-ticked I enter the countdown date/time in servers local timezone?

Confirmed, working as expected now. Thanks.

Yes Please

Could you also please explain "Toggle UTC Adjustments" as I'm still confused. despite the explanation in options. Essentially, with this ticked do I enter the countdown date/time in UTC 00:00 timezone, and with it un-ticked I enter the countdown date/time in servers local timezone?

Sure thing...it may be useful to explain that :-) and I am sorry that I didn't before...the reason being that after I had finished fixing the UTC/timezone problems I had put my face into my desk so many times that I was having trouble saying anything other than 'BLAH' for a good couple of hours.

I think an example it might make it easier to understand...so let's see

If you have utc checked and you have a timer set to end at 6:00 PM (1800 hours) it will end at that time respective to a viewers locale.

So for someone in the UK it goes off at 6:00 PM their time, for myself on the east coast US it will also go off at 6pm but that is 6pm my time also, which during daylight savings time which it is right now for me...is 4 hours behind UTC±00:00 so the timer adds four hours for me in my location. So my timer goes off 4 hours later.

With the utc option checked it takes into account the difference between my timezone and UTC±00:00/ GMT so it adds 4 hours to the timer because I am four hours behind 0 (EDT = UTC-4 )...so if you were in the AEST timezone your time would be UTC+10 being ten hours ahead of UTC±00:00/ GMT and the countdown accounting for that would subtract 10 hours making it end 10 hours before it would in let's say England and 14 hours before me in Connecticut.

If you have UTC option unchecked...it ends at the same time for everyone with time relative to UTC±00:00/ GMT, so if you set the timer to a time of 6pm (1800) it will end for me at 2pm UTC-4/EST(1600) , 6pm @ UTC±00:00/ GMT , and for you assuming UTC+10/AEST at 4am on the following day. Currently until I finish my offset switch option, an admin must do the conversion manually. This is the kind of thing you would use for like a football game which aired live at a specific time where timezone doesn't matter as you are looking to countdown to a specific moment of existence.

If there was a game airing live in AEST at 12 noon, the admin would set the timer to end at 2am as 12noon AEST is 2am in GMT.

Make sense at all? (Please say yes :-) but only if you mean it)

Make sense at all? (Please say yes :) but only if you mean it)
No, sorry. I still cannot see the difference between having this option ticked and unticked.
But, I think I understand that if I leave it unticked and then enter times as they would be at UTC 00:00 timezone, then I'll be fine.

So, if I am counting down to a race in Spain that starts at 12 midday local time (UTC +02:00) I would leave "Toggle UTC Adjustments" unticked and set the countdown timer to 10:00:00. For someone in London it would stop at 10:00am their time, someone in Spain it would stop at 12 midday their time, and someone in Australia it would stop at 18:00 their time.

Thanks.

No, sorry. I still cannot see the difference between having this option ticked and unticked.
But, I think I understand that if I leave it unticked and then enter times as they would be at UTC 00:00 timezone, then I'll be fine.

So, if I am counting down to a race in Spain that starts at 12 midday local time (UTC +02:00) I would leave "Toggle UTC Adjustments" unticked and set the countdown timer to 10:00:00. For someone in London it would stop at 10:00am their time, someone in Spain it would stop at 12 midday their time, and someone in Australia it would stop at 18:00 their time.

Thanks.

Sooooo.... do you want to do announcements for this addon...you seem to explain it better than I and get it as much as I get it...and I added the functionality. lol :)

In other words what I am trying to say is.... you understand and describe "Toggle UTC Adjustments"-[unchecked] perfectly.

----------------------------

Now...you would have "Toggle UTC Adjustments"-[checked] if it is not for a live event and you want it relative to the user.

Christmas day arrives in Spain before Connecticut and if you want to countdown to Christmas day and have it display correct for everyone you need the timer to account for their UTC offset.

Lets make believe Dec 25th @ midnight (0:00:00) is this very moment right now in Australia (UTC+10) and the timer expires right now...
In Spain (UTC+2) at the same moment it is Dec 24th at 4AM leaving 8 hours until Christmas day which is what will be displayed on the timer...
I am in EDT or (UTC-4) currently so it would reflect December 24th 10AM and have 14 hours left in the countdown.

Hopefully I didn't mash that explanation up too :).

Let me know that all is ok with this addon for you on your end...when you or Mark can confirm that this solves your issue I will try and add an option to not display seconds.

Worked like a charm, many thanks for the quick update.

Hi all, I need someone to test a new version of this.

I have changed this addon around so that there is one option stripped out and one added.

The option added allows an admin to choose to use default or custom styling,
  • if a user selects default the timer will match the rest of the sidebar blocks in visual appearance
  • if a user selects to use custom styling, they can go into style properties and edit the look from the acp without having to do any template edits.
If you are interested please ping my inbox and let me know.

I also have been working on a forked version of this addon which allows for 2 timers which I am planning on integrating into the released versions. Before I did that I figured it would be better to try and solve the issue of making it easier to make visual changes for those using this before adding more options. Once this version is tested I will also need someone to test the multi-timer functionality.

Was getting an error with this enabled. Firebug suggest that the error is a conflict with jquery.

View attachment 48231

Hmmm, I don't get that error...

vvcxccv.webp

It must be another addon conflicting with it. Have you tried disabling other addons? I have 23 addons installed on a testbed and this does not conflict with any of them or throw any errors so I would have to think it is not with this addon itself.

What's that link about?

Can you get a list of all of the addons she has installed? I can't reproduce the error so I can't really do anything about it at the moment and now that I look at it, the string in the error doesn't look like it represents anything contained within this addon.

Addons I have installed are your countdown one, Staff Forum Unread, Resource Manager and Prefix Forum Listing - I switched all of them off then tried each one in turn. The error turned up when the Countdown was switched on :)

Disable the "Enable sidebar block" option.. that's when it seems to be occuring for me. Just checked it, since I'd turned the sidebar block off for the moment since because the site isn't open yet.

Top Bottom