Confirmation Emails not being Sent

Vincent

Hey

For a few days already, my members haven't received any confirmation emails when registering.

I thought it was the hoster, so I contacted them. Now, they tell me the PHP Email function works fine, so that it should be XenForo's fault.

So, here I am.

Note: I recently changed hosts.

Is it just registration emails or also replies to threads, PC's, etc?

Can you try using the SMTP option to see if that makes a difference?

In the ACP you have the option of using the PHP mail function or SMTP.

In most cases the PHP mail function is adequate so this is just to see whether emails sent via SMTP are working.

acp_email_options.webp

May I ask what the '-f parameter' thingee is for?
If mail works with the -f parameter set on then that is better.

By default, sendmail won't let you change the "envelope address" of the email. That is the return address, so you often end up with nobody@your.server.name instead of a useful mail address.

This can harm you in the eyes of spam checks, though the -f param doesn't always work (it definitely doesn't work with safe_mode).
With -f, you can set that to an arbitrary email, which is better for spam and lets you actually control where bounce/delivery errors go

I would be inclined to run some email tests using the Contact Us form. That form sends mail to this address:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Contact Email Address

Try sending to several different addresses to ensure this is not a problem with one particular address. Of course you should check the spam folders. If none of the emails get through then you will have to examine the mail logs to see what is happening to the emails. If you are using the Default mail server then you need to ask your web host for the mail logs. For the SMTP server you need to check with the SMTP host.

Also, who is your web host? I am familiar with many web hosts, and I know some of them are particular about certain things. For example, some hosts place requirements on the 'from' address:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Default Email Address

I would be inclined to run some email tests using the Contact Us form. That form sends mail to this address:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Contact Email Address

Try sending to several different addresses to ensure this is not a problem with one particular address. Of course you should check the spam folders. If none of the emails get through then you will have to examine the mail logs to see what is happening to the emails. If you are using the Default mail server then you need to ask your web host for the mail logs. For the SMTP server you need to check with the SMTP host.

Also, who is your web host? I am familiar with many web hosts, and I know some of them are particular about certain things. For example, some hosts place requirements on the 'from' address:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Default Email Address

It is working there, with Contact Us. But not for Registration Email.

And I'm using BleuHost.com

Top Bottom