1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Confirmation email not sending to registered users

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by mcmedal001, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mcmedal001

mcmedal001 New Member

Hello, I just got xenforo running at www.ngscholars.com/comm and I was liking it until I found out that newly registered users were not getting their email confirmation message. I tried to use one of my own emails to register and I go the following in the error log. What could be wrong please?

Code:
    Server Error Log
    Error Info
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to ogundimu.ahmed@gmail.com failed: Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
    Generated By: meadow, Today at 5:34 PM
    Stack Trace

#0 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://mail.ngsc...')
    #1 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
    #2 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #3 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #4 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/Mail.php(177): Zend_Mail->send()
    #5 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/Mail.php(152): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #6 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/Model/UserConfirmation.php(136): XenForo_Mail->send('ogundimu.ahmed@...', 'meadow')
    #7 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php(103): XenForo_Model_UserConfirmation->sendEmailConfirmation(Array)
    #8 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionResend()
    #9 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #10 /home/ngschola/public_html/comm/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #11 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
      ["url"] => string(58) "http://www.ngscholars.com/comm/account-confirmation/resend"
      ["_GET"] => array(0) {
      }
      ["_POST"] => array(5) {
        ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
        ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
        ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(26) "/comm/forums/jobs-vacancy/"
        ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
        ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
      }
    }
    I have used both default and SMTP option.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a failure opening the connection to your SMTP server. If it's happening consistently, you need to use a different setup (such as a different SMTP server). It may be a connectivity issue between servers, a firewall, or some sort of SSL issue.

3. mcmedal001

mcmedal001 New Member

Thank you for the quick response. What would you recommend that I do? I cannot get started with this forum knowing that visitors can register but not confirm their email. What are my options?

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I assume you're on a shared server.

If the default method doesn't work, you would need to contact your host to resolve that.

In terms of SMTP, you could try a different configuration for the server you're using, if available. Contact your SMTP provider for more details. If that doesn't work, you could try a different SMTP server. Finally, you may need to contact your host if all sorts of outbound connections are being blocked.

Last resort could be a different host/different server.

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am using Gmail as my SMTP server on 2 forum and so far it seems to be working for me so give that a go and see how it goes for you.

LPH likes this.