Lack of interest Comment on a profile posting

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Grover

This is really not any issue at all actually, but I just stumbled upon this:

comment in profile.webp
Coming from Facebook (yes, I know XenForo is not Facebook) I am used now to enter a comment directly underneath the listed comments and that works great.

(edit 05/11/2010)
This is how it works in Facebook:

fb comment 1.webp

There is always this field 'Write a comment' available, which works in a very inviting way for the enduser to get motivated to write a comment. You just click in the field (which is in itself very unintuitive) and this appears:

fb comment 2.webp

The field get's bigger, it shows your Avatar and the [Comment]-button is added. Really great UI if you'd ask me.

(/edit)

However, in XenForo we need to click on 'Comment' for the comment-input field to show up underneath the existing comments. When there are lots of comments on 1 single posting, the 'Comment'-link can be positioned very far away from the last comment in that list, making the 'Comment'-link a bit out-of-context with the user process at hand. As illustrated by the following mighty example:

(edit 05/11/2010)
Here is an example taken from the mighty Facebook:

commenting all the way uuuuuuuup there.webp

Imagine that your XenForo powered social platform becomes one the most successful websites out there (and mine will :cool:) and that the social activity is enormously thriving. Then, having lots and lots of comments will result in the above screenshot, making it very hard to comment on anything, unless you expect your users to scroll up 'allllllllll the waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there!!!' :).

Okey, Okay... I don't see that kind of activity happening anytime soon, but who knows? One has to see the bigger picture, right?

(/edit)

I understand why the Comment link is positioned there and basically there's nothing wrong with it. I just found myself now a bit getting used to it now, coming from using FaceBook a lot lately. Just a thought.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmmm, what is going on? Because now it is even worse:

comment process.webp

This 'another' screen I am talking about it this:

comment on profile post.webp

Ofcourse I don't know what the reasons are, but this is obviously a step back in userfriendliness, I think most people will agree.

Do you have .js disabled?
Or perhaps it didn't load correctly.

That should be the only time that screen appears.

There have been some .js changes recently so try a hard refresh - CTRL+F5 - a few times.

That should clear out the old .js cache.

There have been some .js changes recently so try a hard refresh - CTRL+F5 - a few times.

That should clear out the old .js cache.

Thanks, I will try in a few. Just checked with FF and there it works fine.

edit: and now after Ctrl-F5 also Chrome works. Thank you :).

I've just update my first posting with some Facebook examples. XenForo already has a near-perfect UI on this matter (and I also understand the positioning of the 'Comment'-link), but still it feels sometimes a bit awkward to click a link in the upper right corner of that section to be able to post a comment in the bottom left corner of that section.

I guess Erich37 and me are the only ones? ;)

I use fixed width so for me it's in the perfect place :)

It also has synchronicity with Like Reply on forum posts.

By default only 3 comments are visible on the profile page so you will only encounter that situation if you show the rest.

Still not convinced ;)

By default only 3 comments are visible on the profile page....

TBH: I didn't realize this when I posted my in-depth suggestion. Thanks for pointing it out.

....so you will only encounter that situation if you show the rest.

.... which I do quite a lot (most of the time actually) on Facebook. It is -for me- very interesting to see the rest of the comments (it's a social network after all) and then comment on whatever I see fit to comment on.

Top Bottom