Add-on CMS and Portal

dvsDave: Guiltar is making a wiki ... I've seen it and it's looking good already.

I am considering using XenCarta Wiki, but I really need the ability to have wiki terms that show up in the forums be auto-linked to the terms' wiki entry. I, along with XF member, Moses, have offered $100 each to add this feature. I'm posting this here in hopes that you will consider adding this feature to, what is otherwise, for me, a complete wiki.

I am not sure about the auto-linking for forum to wiki posts.
Why do you really want it dvsDave ?
Convince me !

The auto-link feature has been a key feature for our community. The fact that the first time a wiki term is encountered in a thread, it unobtrusively links to the wiki entry.

This feature was introduced about 4 years ago and our wiki went from about one hundred entries with a couple entries a month to over three thousand entries in about a year. Having the wiki be such an intergral part of a community of technical discussions caused the users to want to make the wiki as extensive and complete as possible.

That's why I am offering a bounty for this feature. Is that convincing enough?

Hi Guiltar... How is this coming along... When (not asking for specifics, just in general) do you think it will reach RC level of maturity. Just interested because if we have something like this then we may be able to use Xenforo for an upcoming project. We are looking at different softwares and I would love to be able to use XF. :)

The auto-link feature has been a key feature for our community. The fact that the first time a wiki term is encountered in a thread, it unobtrusively links to the wiki entry.

Thanks for the explanation.
If it was possible to do it for the first time only, I think this could be helpful and not too obtrusive.

Would it be good or annoying to more visually identify the link in the posted thread ?

Example of a "wiki icon" to more easily identify a wiki link.

wiki.icon.in.text.webp

Just starting to use mediawiki.

Might want to wait for the upcoming native Xenforo wiki by Guiltar ..
I've seen it ... it's great already. It doesn't have everything that Mediawiki does ... and that's the good news.

A native Xenforo wiki with Integration into What's New will always be better than a Mediawiki by itself. On a forum-based community, one tab away from the action is a long way.

Mediawiki's WYSWIYG addon is essential if you want average forum users to contribute to the wiki.

Mediawiki's WYSWIYG addon is essential if you want average forum users to contribute to the wiki.

I'll have to check that out, thanks :) Mediawiki has a bit of advantage here however because most my sources came from another mediawiki site (in different language). Their existing templates are helping me a ton right now

http://wiki.gameofthronesfansite.com/Arya

It's going to grow quite huge I hope. Though finding Thai mediawiki users won't be easy.

Top Bottom