Add-on Classifieds for XF2

To let you know this is a mockup of what I am trying to get to and the developer that I engaged to do it is about 50% of the way there:
View attachment 202856
How do you plan on running the length of a listing?

A classifieds system I use now has packages (ie 5 days, 7 days, etc.), but I'd like user defined lengths of a term they select (1 day, 4 days, 20 days) instead as they might not be available after a predefined term.

With respect, there isn't any point in asking questions at this point till it is finished and it will be what it is however for any changes a person may need they can deal direct with the developer

Thats looking really good Ian - Looking forward to seeing the final version (am and definately in the market for a decent working one!!)
Cheers
Paul

Doesn’t sound like you hired a trusted developer. Probably won’t be contributing or installing this addon.

How on earth can you jump to that conclusion?? I hired someone to code a mod for me, and the last thing i wanted to do was tell everyone who i used, especially as it was early days and i didnt want people jumping in and hassling them. It was my mod, i paid for its development, and it was made freely available on here for others to use.

As it happened, the "little known" developer (at the time) has written a fair few other Add-ons since and is now fairly well known.. we all start somewhere, so no need to assassinate people just because you don't know who they are.

If you had your way, there would be 4 or 5 developers that everyone would be forced to use, just because in your eyes they are "trusted". I'm Sure Ian wont loose any sleep at night knowing you wont be contributing. If it has the functionality that i am looking for, would be happy to donate, and would also more than likely be happy to pay for additional features to be coded to suit my needs.

It is comments like that which is destroying XF and why several people I know have gone to IPS for the VERY REASON and haven't looked back. In fact one emailed me the other day saying his life and site are now much better without the worry of dealing with XF trolls. Thanks @Paul for your comments which I so completely agree with...in fact I have 3 developments under way at the moment including a full XF/Facebook integration one which sync's both forum threads and posts and facebook group threads and posts with each other making it that when a facebook user posts in Facebook it is shown in yhe forums and vice-a-versa. These solutions will be released FREE but only to selected XF users and non trolls

why several people I know have gone to IPS for the VERY REASON and haven't looked back

Whilst you could cut me in half and it would say "xenforo" all the way through, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't looking at the pros and cons of switching to IPS myself...

including a full XF/Facebook integration one which sync's both forum threads and posts and facebook group threads and posts with each other

Ohh that would be nice! Judging by the amount of changes/updates FB does I can imagine the maintenance costs of such an add-on would be high....

To let you know this is a mockup of what I am trying to get to and the developer that I engaged to do it is about 50% of the way there:
View attachment 202856

Soooo....Invision Commerce? :D

Look forward to seeing it :)

Unfortunately the developer wasn't a good one and whilst he got it nearly there I got sick and tired of waiting for the bugs to get fixed. Luckily I got my $250 deposit back from PayPal.

And yes, it was a copy of the Invision one but with some limitations as Invision integrates eCommerce into it and XF doesn't have an eCommerce module. Perhaps it is just better to go with Invision as there is a lot more than just Classifieds

Unfortunately the developer wasn't a good one and whilst he got it nearly there I got sick and tired of waiting for the bugs to get fixed. Luckily I got my $250 deposit back from PayPal.

You really expected to get a bug free, fully working classified add-on for $250? Wow!
It should be more like $2500.

That is because I am sick and tired of the Trolls here on XF to anything I post and your didn't exactly post something nice saying that I expected a bug free addon for $250 WOW

Mistakes were made. HWS, the post clearly said "deposit" so your comment was unnecessary. ibaker, whether you feel someone was rude to you first, or not, is irrelevant, it is wrong to call people names. Let's "pull up our big boy pants", ideally apologise, and just move on.

And yes, it was a copy of the Invision one but with some limitations as Invision integrates eCommerce into it and XF doesn't have an eCommerce module.
We kind of do.

We have a comprehensive framework for purchasable items and payment providers. Depending on how you want the payments to work, and who should receive the payments and whether any commission needs to be paid to the site owner, it might require some changes to make it work, but there's a strong basis for eCommerce uses there.

Chris, the key words here are:
We kind of do.
Yes the development of a classifieds addon that does do the same as what the Invision one does would require the development of the Classifieds addon but also require extensive development in XF itself to match the ecom capabilities.

The Classifieds addon that was being developed used as much of XF core as possible i.e. Custom Fields, Prefixes, Page etc and was a rework of the css and presentation of a opening post of a Classifieds forum thread. Each Classifieds category used a separate forum and a call to display like a Classifieds entry when one of those forums was called from a Classifieds page that used widgets to display thread lists from those different Classifieds forums. It works well if only the developer didn't go off on tangents so much with the biggest problem was communication gap.

If something like Pistonheads / autotrader is useful, I am currently working with a top notch dev in making something similar for XF2 for a client:

It wont be publicly available and the specification is pretty set in stone, but im sure some sort of arrangement could be made when its done and dusted for access, though for the avoidance of people wanting in for a few dollars, it would be upwards of 4 figures given the extensive development and complexity.

Attachments

• 2019-07-09 14_12_32.webp
    2019-07-09 14_12_32.webp
    118.2 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom