Add-on Classifieds for XF2

So I'm positively flabbergasted that a major dev hasn't picked up a prime opportunity to capitalize on this continued huge void in XF. There isn't a good classifieds addon and there isn't a good events/calendar addon (unrelated yet somehow relevant). @ThemeHouse and @Mike Creuzer you guys have built massive addons likely bigger than this by orders of magnitude, no interest here?

Seems to be a widespread allergy to tackling these (properly).

Is there behind the scenes work on XF core to add this functionality in the future that we're not aware of hence the reluctance? Is the ROI that bad? Is the sky blue?

It's kind of scary that with a highly evolved platform with a bonafide API and very active development in other areas we're still in this position more than 1.5 years after I post this thread. A lot of talk, a lot of promises, a lot of rumour but no kebab.

Last edited:
Well its an option, but we've kinda taken a backseat to community requests. They are always more work than its worth and underappreciated (typically) when completed. Hence why developers do jobs then abandon them.

We serve a very small and specific demographic. And our terms typically would be that a person or persons come with the full cost of development to build an add-on. We negotiate discounts for releasing it and what that would be from there. So if someone did want to fund this, we're here.

Out of curiosity what would this number be???? :unsure:
I would need a list of the features. And keep in mind we are not a freelance group. It would be far cheaper to get it done by a developer here. But on the other hand we have been in the community a long time and will maintain as well as we can the products we build.

If anyone is interested in creating your own Classifieds section on your site and in the way I was doing it and getting it done then...

NOTE: play around with this on a test development site, NOT on your live site

1. Create a Page called Classifieds and turn a navigation menu on for it
2. Under that page create a forum for each category you want in your classifieds
3. Add a Latest Threads widget for the category forums to the Classifieds page
4. Create thread prefixes of For Sale, Wanted, Free etc and assign them to your category forums
5. Create Custom Fields like Price, Location, Condition (New, Used) etc and show at top of entry
6. Assign those custom fields to your category forums

You now have a basic Classifieds section

Next and this is what I was just trying to get developed...design, change, edit etc the css and fields of the category forums thread display to make it look like a high quality Classifieds listing. You can use a separate Style just for the category forums or you could just split the thread_view template to single out your category forums IDs and create a whole new template just for classified listings like:
Code:
    <xf:if is="in_array({$forum.node_id}, [4,5,6,7])">
        <xf:include template="thread_view_classifieds" />
    <xf:else />
        <<the normal thread_view template content>>
    </xf:if>

From here the world is your oyster to create a classifieds view of what ever you like and my intention was to then to release a standard one for free and get everyone to contribute their templates so others have some to choose from...and all for free.

Don't forget there are a lot of fields you can call on in your template like the user's email address etc and by using the custom fields you can create say a contact types option that users can select whether a purchaser can contact by email...that's just one example.

The above is how these were being generated (although for the Classifieds page widget I used the Widget Thread Enhance addon to create a better listing look):
1.jpg 2.jpg

If you look at the actual listing you could:
Images = post attachments but with some click display mechanism
Advertiser = Thread starter username
Type of Advert = Thread Prefix
Item Condition = Custom field of select options
Time Left = Custom field the user enters a a close date and time and a calculation is made from thread creation date/time or instead of a custom field use a set # of days in the template calculation
Quantity = Custom field but user will have to edit each time they sell one to reduce to whats left
Price = Custom field
Test 1 = Custom field for PM seller
Test 2 = Custom field for Seller phone number (only display if entry in field)
Test 3 = Custom field for Seller email address covered with just text of "Email" (only display if entry in field) which triggers a mailto
Test 4 = Custom field for anything you want to add

See what I mean on how you can create a good working Classifieds system that through exchange of ideas with other users and helping each other you can grow from

Last edited:
Firstly sorry to hear it's all gone south Ian :(
Was really looking forward to a decent working classifieds add-on.

@Mike Creuzer - If people were to chip in i'd be more than happy to throw £200 in the hat.. just to get the ball rolling (I know that it would come in a lot more than that overall!). Maybe if x number of people would be willing to contribute then we could get a group together... maybe look at a base offering that works with the basics, and then charge people based upon their additional requirements, on the understanding that unless specifically against it, these enhancements would be made available to all.

Any idea what sort of amount we would be looking at here?

Is just a thought - how many others on here would be willing to chip in for something decent?

Here was me thinking this one was going slow.. however at least it works... https://xenforo.com/community/resources/classifieds.6703/

Last edited:
As a small car club we couldn't afford 4 figures but i'm happy to contribute £200 to start if @Mike Creuzer takes it on. My site is basically a TH showcase 😂

I'm currently using 'forum sales' I like how it allows you to set a % that gets sent directly to your paypal on forum sale. I would like to keep this feature but have it so you could set a % based on usergroup with an option of no fee being available (influence people to pay to upgrade usergroup to avoid fees).

I'm currently using 'forum sales' I like how it allows you to set a % that gets sent directly to your paypal on forum sale. I would like to keep this feature but have it so you could set a % based on usergroup with an option of no fee being available (influence people to pay to upgrade usergroup to avoid fees).

I guess it will depends on the model that people run. For me this wouldn't work since most transactions take place directly between the seller and the buyer. We rely on trust and donations for sales, however I have been thinking about alternatives...

We kind of do.

We have a comprehensive framework for purchasable items and payment providers. Depending on how you want the payments to work, and who should receive the payments and whether any commission needs to be paid to the site owner, it might require some changes to make it work, but there's a strong basis for eCommerce uses there.
What does it mean? Will there be an official add on?

The above is how these were being generated (although for the Classifieds page widget I used the Widget Thread Enhance addon to create a better listing look):
1.jpg 2.jpg
How about share the template code behind this? Especially the second screenshot. It could be very useful for many Xenforo admins.

We kind of do.

We have a comprehensive framework for purchasable items and payment providers. Depending on how you want the payments to work, and who should receive the payments and whether any commission needs to be paid to the site owner, it might require some changes to make it work, but there's a strong basis for eCommerce uses there.

You need to include payment providers that are 2A friendly.

I have been talking @ichpen through PM regarding this add-on. We are going to start on a classifieds add-on in the coming weeks.

Just to clarify I believe Myth is referring to his business partner not myself. Contrary to popular belief I'm currently not involved with him or indeed any other Classifieds development other than being the recipient of a few offers and conversations, and being the proud owner of this stepchild of a thread.

I will selfishly support any dev that can work out a proper Classifieds addon in the near future. In terms of funding, my hobby site does not warrant me a large budget but I will definitely consider funding an established dev or company should the risk be alleviated and spread with some other willing volunteers. As XF doesn't like crowd funding talk this should not be misconstrued as a proposal but a mere personal statement of where I stand on the topic.

I'm currently developing one, but it will be tailored towards the needs of my customer. If anyone is interested in extended functionality, feel free to contact me.

Hi @S Thomas , I am prospectively looking for an Add-On that enables users to host auctions for their products. I suspect that you were trying to build something like this already. Can we discuss if you'd be willing to make another one or offer me something similar.

Regards

Top Bottom