Add-on Classifieds for XF2

Hello everyone,

@Joe Link , we are glad you like Thread Filter add-on and would be glad to help with classified system development as well. Unfortunately, we are overloaded with custom add-on requests and supporting/enhancing our add-ons published here, so we can't provide any ETA when we would be able to develop the add-on on our own. However, we can handle the project as a funded project, either by a customer or by crowdfunding. We can discuss the options available and the exact terms with anyone interested via a Conversation.

Meanwhiles, we would like to collect a full specification/list of features to be available in the initial release. I have checked the thread fully, there are some details in some posts, but we would need some more clear and precise specification to be able to estimate the time and costs needed for the development.

We have experience building a classifieds system for a private customer for XenForo 1.x which was fully built based on forum structure, turning threads into ads, forums into ad categories, pre-designed forum into a "expired" ads category with ability to relist the ad, a separate image upload to be used as ad thumbnail, etc. XenForo 2.x has custom field system built-in which could fully power a classifieds system in combination with our Thread Filter add-on. So we see a great potential in re-using forum/thread system instead of developing a completely independent system. I would estimate at least 50% less time spent on development if forums would be taken as a base for the classifieds.

Please let us know your thoughts regarding product features and possible limitations of using forums and threads as a base. Once we have a clear specification, we will start a conversation with users who have expressed their wish to share the costs of a funded development and will discuss the final completion terms there.

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

@Joe Link , we are glad you like Thread Filter add-on and would be glad to help with classified system development as well. Unfortunately, we are overloaded with custom add-on requests and supporting/enhancing our add-ons published here, so we can't provide any ETA when we would be able to develop the add-on on our own. However, we can handle the project as a funded project, either by a customer or by crowdfunding. We can discuss the options available and the exact terms with anyone interested via a Conversation.

Meanwhiles, we would like to collect a full specification/list of features to be available in the initial release. I have checked the thread fully, there are some details in some posts, but we would need some more clear and precise specification to be able to estimate the time and costs needed for the development.

We have experience building a classifieds system for a private customer for XenForo 1.x which was fully built based on forum structure, turning threads into ads, forums into ad categories, pre-designed forum into a "expired" ads category with ability to relist the ad, a separate image upload to be used as ad thumbnail, etc. XenForo 2.x has custom field system built-in which could fully power a classifieds system in combination with our Thread Filter add-on. So we see a great potential in re-using forum/thread system instead of developing a completely independent system. I would estimate at least 50% less time spent on development if forums would be taken as a base for the classifieds.

Please let us know your thoughts regarding product features and possible limitations of using forums and threads as a base. Once we have a clear specification, we will start a conversation with users who have expressed their wish to share the costs of a funded development and will discuss the final completion terms there.

Thank you!
can be taken as an example for the start
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8311-classifieds-system/

I would 2nd that! I have that addon and it is simply brilliant although for XF it would need a slight downgrade in that this addon also utilises the eCommerce abilities of IPS but other than that an exact replica of that addon would be all the requirements needed, in my opinion.

I can provide a working IPS install of it for review and analysis if needed but what sort of ball park dollars would we be looking at?

Last edited:
Either or both. If someone needs to see everything that IPS Classifieds addon has in a working environment so they can do an analysis of it and see what functionality it has etc, then I can provide it as I already have a current IPS license plus I already have that classifieds addon.

In fact I had already asked the developer of it to do a copy for XF but no reply

Hello everyone,

@ibaker , @akhan please let us know what you think about stand-alone vs forum-based solution. Both will allow having essentially the same features.

Thank you!

I was going to do something with getting a Classifieds addon developed for XF but, like many others are now, at this stage moving to IPS
1.webp 2.webp 3.webp

Long story but in basic terms due to the very much older age group of my users who fight against any form of change I had to go back to XF v1 but this time I have gained a great IPS developer who has been making IPs default look and feel like my heavily modded XF site, plus extensive communication etc to help the users feel more acceptable to the benefits of moving to IPS...that is what and only what it was all about...my old aged users not comfortable with change...they even hated moving from my heavily modded XF v1 site to a standard XF v2 site in the same way as moving to a standard IPS site.

For example the vertical menu in the screen shot that I have in my XF v1 site has now been developed for IPS and much more similar things...as one vocal user said "I don't care what platform you go to as long as it looks exactly like it is now, I am too old to change"

Long story but in basic terms due to the very much older age group of my users who fight against any form of change I had to go back to XF v1 but this time I have gained a great IPS developer who has been making IPs default look and feel like my heavily modded XF site, plus extensive communication etc to help the users feel more acceptable to the benefits of moving to IPS...that is what and only what it was all about...my old aged users not comfortable with change...they even hated moving from my heavily modded XF v1 site to a standard XF v2 site in the same way as moving to a standard IPS site.

For example the vertical menu in the screen shot that I have in my XF v1 site has now been developed for IPS and much more similar things...as one vocal user said "I don't care what platform you go to as long as it looks exactly like it is now, I am too old to change"

When are you migrating to IPS?

Top Bottom