Central Registration System

Cookie domain security issues?

Let me just say that this would be my first big request!

"Multisite Login allows a user to login to all sites in a multisite configuration, even though the multisites do not share domain names."

Each site would require a separate license. That way you can operate a network of communities and members can easily move in and out of the communities in your network without having to create a new account. This will promote forum growth by lowering the barriers to posting, i.e. attention span to get over a hurdle, like registration/confirmation, just to post a thought. Make it easy.

It is also imperative that this be supported by the software developer.

Big thumbs up. If I knew how to like this post other than through facebook, it would be done!

Edit: I guess you have to like individual posts? If so, I figured that out. Is there a way to like the thread as a whole? :D

I'll try, bit difficult on iPhone. How would one login to multiple sites on different domains? A cookie for a domain cannot be set unless that user has visited the domain. It's a large security risk as well.
I don't know how, but it can be done as I'm pretty sure the wetalk network has this feature. Perhaps Floris can explain. :)

Perhaps a cookie is put on a computer from site X which is a part of network A. If visitor goes to site Y on network A, then perhaps that cookie can be read, analyzed, and once it is determined that the visitor has already signed into the network, it can send a cookie for site Y. I am unclear on the logistics and quite frankly know little about cookies, but I am trying to piece a theory together. ;)

My first reaction is "No", but I'm browsing forums and blogs, I see one I want to comment on. Chances are I can sign into Facebook or Twitter to post on their site. Might make sense to add XenForo as an option, I don't know. If you are going for world domination, there are worse things than having a button on every site to Login. ;)

I can't see even 5% of users needing/wanting it

I think it depends, I do volunteer work for a game that run around 30 or so forums, one for each domain in that countries language. However I could easily see them wanting to save a lot of time for users by being able to make one account usable on all the forums. I think for bigger organisations and similar forums owned by one person this could be a useful feature.

IPB already has this good idea. And please make a login API so can easily integrate with 3rd party apps

idea is great. but the fact remains... most web users are likely to have either twitter or facebook accounts. both are going to be supported by XF. if they add openid, they add on support for a whole lot of more domains (yahoo for example).

idea is great. but the fact remains... most web users are likely to have either twitter or facebook accounts. both are going to be supported by XF. if they add openid, they add on support for a whole lot of more domains (yahoo for example).

While that may be true, such a system could still be useful outside of being used across multiple sites. For instance, it could make integrating completely unrelated systems within a single domain easier. We created a similar ad-hoc system, on one of the sites I'm involved with, so that we could achieve single sign-on for vBulletin, MediaWiki, JIRA, a CakePHP application and other miscellaneous applications while also sharing other user details.

I'm all for a simple API that would allow some basic integration with external applications.

the concept is pretty interesting. but it would also mean that a potential spammer can create one account and get access to multiple sites.

a centralized system like would also required a centralized system for banning users.

but a user can be considered spammer on one forum but not a spammer on the other one!

Maybe I don't understand the issues here ... but I'm happy to run several SECTIONS on one mother forum.
With usergroup access I have all the overlap and independent areas that I need.

A section can have its own front Page which is linked from another website/ domain.

My only discontent on this one isw that I'd like to hav e different themes on different sections but this will come I think.

You are right on, that way we can ban an IP range and be done with professional spambot operators on all our forums at one time instead of having to go to each one or have a separate tool for each domain to do it.

This could be an alternative to a software firewall (which most need in the first place) on the server.

vB had a mod that allowed you to use 1 forum as multiple sites (different domain names, so it also required multiple licenses). You could customize it a bit so that your members on one forum could access all or just one of the forums. My site was going to use it until we realized that we needed to dish out extra money for an additional license.

vB had a mod that allowed you to use 1 forum as multiple sites (different domain names, so it also required multiple licenses). You could customize it a bit so that your members on one forum could access all or just one of the forums. My site was going to use it until we realized that we needed to dish out extra money for an additional license.

That was more of a patch than a true central registration system.

A central registration system would be most appreciated. This way I can hook several XF forums together to power a small network of forums :p. Or any future XF products :p

I don't know why this is not a priority.

Business wise, this promotes people having more forums (and buying more licenses), since they would be able to just link the forums together with a central registration system and a common userbase. It has also been a real common request for vBulletin for some time. The Facebook login is nice for starting but one single account through a network of sites is also useful.

It is not only for the few person that operate several forums as a network. As soon as this feature is available and easy to use I would see more people getting more forums just because it is easy to link them together. I could certainly make use of it, it is annoying to ask the user to register again and again, we should be over that now.

Liked.

This is just one of those "duh" features. Makes good business sense to allow this type of connectivity, especially for people wanting to run more than one site. It's also one of the main features that led me to refer so many people to Invision Power Board and their software that already does this.

Top Bottom