Central Registration System

I guess someone could build an authentication system like openid but why when there already is? I suggest we build on these already implemented ones and not "try and reinvent the wheel here but improve on the already built wheels"

I guess someone could build an authentication system like openid but why when there already is? I suggest we build on these already implemented ones and not "try and reinvent the wheel here but improve on the already built wheels"

I can see how it resembles OpenID however the point is to create a unified system in which people can keep the same username across your entire network. OpenID would ideally interface and allow you to register with the central registration system once. Afterwards, you simply login to any network site.

I don't see it as reinventing the wheel because OpenID would require you to register with each forum that makes up your site. A username would not be reserved for that particular user.

I like the idea, creating a federation of boards always helps users adopt the new sites as there is no additional registration process etc...

Supplying at least a method to do so would be nice, though it could be added later on, when they're not worried about getting a strong release out.

Supplying at least a method to do so would be nice, though it could be added later on, when they're not worried about getting a strong release out.

Agreed. On the other hand, it could be important to think this through before the first release because there may need to be certain things in place to make this happen. And those things may be awkward to change later.

I am not sure what the % of users will be that will really use this feature, but it is a great marketing tool to show why one forum software should be chosen over another.

Agreed. On the other hand, it could be important to think this through before the first release because there may need to be certain things in place to make this happen. And those things may be awkward to change later.

I am not sure what the % of users will be that will really use this feature, but it is a great marketing tool to show why one forum software should be chosen over another.

If they start by supplying a method (In the core), I think it would be the start of creating it as a full fledge feature, which is what I was getting at.

Yes, please

There are a good number of us that have sister sites that would definitely benefit from a central auth system. I run two vB boards that have cross-over members and that's the number one gripe.

After the vB4 debacle, and not wanting to renew after 3.X IPB's converge system is the only thing tempting my staff to jump platforms.

Whether it be a core feature of a pluggable system vis-a-vis LDAP, shibboleth , OpenID it would be a coup to have a CAS system :)

Also, Facebook is not an option for everyone -

I would definitely like this.

I plan on using XF for a new project, but I would like to extend the login to two other sites in the near future after the first site launches (I'm looking at 2 sites within 6 months or so). They both have similar subjects, and I'd love to be able to have the users sign into both automatically so I don't have to worry about them signing in for each one.

Top Bottom