As designed Censor does not work on Usernames

Mr Lucky

It seems somebody can register with a name or part of a name that is on your censor list.

I have not tested with a newly signed up member, but I have found if they sign with a name you subsequently add to the censor, the censored word still shows in their username.

I have not tested with a newly signed up member
It is checked when a user registers.

but I have found if they sign with a name you subsequently add to the censor, the censored word still shows in their username.
This is definitely intentional. If this happened, you'd potentially have multiple users just named "****" or, depending on censoring config, multiple users that appear to be named identically.

Active moderation is the approach that should be taken here IMO.

The problem with this is we have to almost be psychic or know every single possible offensive word in advance. Yes we have contacted the member and politely suggested they choose another name as that word is against our rules, but I'd prefer if meanwhile the name temporarily displays with the censored version.

I can see how it might be annoying to have several users with the name ****, or even ********, but I would actually prefer that to people stumbling upon offensive usernames in the member list by accident.

I think it should be an option for this to work retrospectively.

Top Bottom