1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Censor does not work on Usernames

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Mr Lucky, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

It seems somebody can register with a name or part of a name that is on your censor list.

I have not tested with a newly signed up member, but I have found if they sign with a name you subsequently add to the censor, the censored word still shows in their username.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It is checked when a user registers.

This is definitely intentional. If this happened, you'd potentially have multiple users just named "****" or, depending on censoring config, multiple users that appear to be named identically.

Active moderation is the approach that should be taken here IMO.
    Amaury likes this.
  3. Mr Lucky

The problem with this is we have to almost be psychic or know every single possible offensive word in advance. Yes we have contacted the member and politely suggested they choose another name as that word is against our rules, but I'd prefer if meanwhile the name temporarily displays with the censored version.

I can see how it might be annoying to have several users with the name ****, or even ********, but I would actually prefer that to people stumbling upon offensive usernames in the member list by accident.

I think it should be an option for this to work retrospectively.
  4. Dakota Storm

Dakota Storm Well-Known Member

Isn't there an option to disallow certain usernames? Pretty sure there was.
  5. Mr Lucky

Yes, but again, same applies. I just tested and it doesn't work on someone who's already registered.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

That would be a Suggestion.

There is, but it doesn't work retrospectively. Those names, along with names containing censored words, are checked for newly registering/added users.
  7. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Send them an ultimatum in a PM: Choose another username or your username is going to be "Something_Else".
  8. Mr Lucky

That's exactly what we have done.