California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not unusual for newspapers or the media to miss the nuances of legal issues. This is greater than a nuance, but the principle is the same.

But, I think that media exposure for XF is generally a good thing.

"Net forumware giant vBulletin has abandoned its US lawsuit against its former lead developer and his new forumware company, the UK-based XenForo."

While I wish this were true, but didn't IB only drop their motion for a preliminary injunction? If so, that's much different than abandoning the lawsuit entirely -- as in the case will now run its normal course. This is exactly why I no longer follow much of what The Register reports anymore. They can sometimes be a good lead for a story, but rarely a great source for a story as most of what they report/post contains factual inaccuracies.
Its an Internet tabloid though, what do you expect?

Its an Internet tabloid though, what do you expect?

I don't expect much from them, but it seems people fail to realize it really is tabloid journalism. A lot of what The Register runs is not factual, but rather commentary on factual headlines, with the headline being the only factual statement in several cases (which isn't even true in this case, though, heh).

I don't expect much from them, but it seems people fail to realize it really is tabloid journalism. A lot of what The Register runs is not factual, but rather commentary on factual headlines, with the headline being the only factual statement in several cases (which isn't even true in this case, though, heh).
The same can be said for most reporting and journalism in the last decade, which is rather depressing.

coming in late and just read the last 2 pages. One question, is there any remaining active cases left from IB vs XF in either UK or US?

The media coverage is great. However, the article implies that the entire suit, rather than just the motion for a preliminary injunction, was withdrawn. As it stands now, the case is still moving forward (though, in an arguably weaker posture).

Cade updated the story after I pointed this out to him :)

I think a couple of us pointed this out to him (based on some of the now-deleted comments on the article too) ;) Nice to see the contiuing coverage though :)

Indeed. I tipped them off a while ago as well, when the first XF win was made, but back then they did not bother with the story. I figured it might be a good time now to try again :)

Regardless, I do enjoy reading The Register. Yes, they throw in opinions in their articles, but there's a few good writers on their staff, and heck, as a geek, I couldn't wish for a better way to keep up-to-date with lots of IT happenings.

And, of course, there's the BOFH articles :D

Indeed. I tipped them off a while ago as well, when the first XF win was made, but back then they did not bother with the story. I figured it might be a good time now to try again :)

Regardless, I do enjoy reading The Register. Yes, they throw in opinions in their articles, but there's a few good writers on their staff, and heck, as a geek, I couldn't wish for a better way to keep up-to-date with lots of IT happenings.

And, of course, there's the BOFH articles :D

Not to rag on The Register more than I already have, but as someone who works in the industry that would be one of the last places I checked, heh. Have you given GigaOM, Techmeme, The Next Web, Ars Technica, Hacker News or even TechCrunch a look?

Not to rag on The Register more than I already have, but as someone who works in the industry that would be one of the last places I checked, heh. Have you given GigaOM, Techmeme, The Next Web, Ars Technica, Hacker News or even TechCrunch a look?

Ack. I already have too many places I need to check daily :D

New file on PACER.
http://cl.ly/070s2L2N3X1w3V2O2k1L

Stipulation for protective order:
Both Defendant and Plaintiff seek protective measures of exchange of material pertinent to the case. This protects third parties from gaining access to trade secrets and additional information deemed sensitive.

Main post updated to reflect new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom