Fixed Broken proxy images

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I've been seeing this sporadically throughout XenForo.com:

upload_2014-1-23_16-15-27.webp

These images are hosted on Imgur. But they are loading fine generally. I can only assume XenForo cached them during some period of downtime or latency. But if that's the case as these are valid, available images, will they always remain broken?

I actually just tweaked this code. There is a retry mechanism with decreasing frequency. Eventually (currently, after 10 consecutive failures), it will simply stop trying to recache it.

What I just tweaked was how it slowed down. It delays much less up front (only 1 minute after the first failure, for example) so hopefully this should go away more now.

Ah thanks Mike.

In the event this does happen -- maybe a site you're linking from/to goes down for an extended period -- I presume you just purge the cache by disabling the function?

I think you'd have to find the entry in the log and force a refresh. It would have to be down for an extended period or you'd have to be very unlucky though. :)

I actually just tweaked this code. There is a retry mechanism with decreasing frequency. Eventually (currently, after 10 consecutive failures), it will simply stop trying to recache it.

What I just tweaked was how it slowed down. It delays much less up front (only 1 minute after the first failure, for example) so hopefully this should go away more now.
How much time is there between the first and last attempt?

In theory, more than 2 weeks. (As I said, it gets increasingly more delayed -- there will be 10 requests made in total.)

I think you'd have to find the entry in the log and force a refresh. It would have to be down for an extended period or you'd have to be very unlucky though. :)
I think it has been noted that the sorting and filtering of this log is quite limited. Are there plans to improve upon that?

Either way thanks for the quick fix Mike.

Top Bottom