Bookmarks

Bookmarks [Paid] 2.0.5

No permission to buy ($35.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Watched threads are watched threads. Bookmarks are bookmarks. If watched threads were available under bookmarks then thats a damn huge list. Just click on watched threads instead.

I took a closer look at bookmarking Pages and I don't think this is going to work very well.
The add-on code is designed for User generated content, which Pages are not.
Since Pages are created using either HTML or PHP CallBacks, it makes the process of displaying the contents as a bookmark a little difficult.
A page can produce a very complicated template as opposed to simple User generated text. So if I display a page in the bookmark overlay, I may end up with a form with multiple borders, images, and such as I cannot simply grab the inner text without knowing the page structure.
In addition, since Pages do not have an author attached to them, the bookmark will always display a default question mark avatar as it is needed in order to maintain the look of the bookmark list.
All this means that bookmarking a page limits us to the page title. While this may still be quite useful, it does mean the look of the bookmark in the bookmark list will seem completely out of place without a snippet of text from the bookmarked page.
What do you think?

Use the favico as the image ?
The point of the bookmarks is to be able to go back to pages you found useful. All I would need is the title.

What if we were to look for node-id.bookmark.png image? If it doesnt exist then it could use an admin specified default image.

Just an idea,

Rob

I just thought of a great use of this feature. Can you create an option to allow admins to create and tag bookmarks for their users?

How about giving members the option of letting at least one or two tags show up as a profile tab or that tag category as the default display when viewing their bookmarks? For instance, if they post music in a music thread, they can bookmark their music post and tag it as music, then when you view their profile, you'll see they have music tag as their bookmarks profile display.

I took a closer look at bookmarking Pages and I don't think this is going to work very well.
The add-on code is designed for User generated content, which Pages are not.
Since Pages are created using either HTML or PHP CallBacks, it makes the process of displaying the contents as a bookmark a little difficult.
A page can produce a very complicated template as opposed to simple User generated text. So if I display a page in the bookmark overlay, I may end up with a form with multiple borders, images, and such as I cannot simply grab the inner text without knowing the page structure.
In addition, since Pages do not have an author attached to them, the bookmark will always display a default question mark avatar as it is needed in order to maintain the look of the bookmark list.
All this means that bookmarking a page limits us to the page title. While this may still be quite useful, it does mean the look of the bookmark in the bookmark list will seem completely out of place without a snippet of text from the bookmarked page.
What do you think?

Will this affect the standard current bookmark listings Syndol?

Forgot to say excellent job on the bookmarks Syndol, I recently updated to the latest version as always no issues everything went smoothly.

I just thought of a great use of this feature. Can you create an option to allow admins to create and tag bookmarks for their users?

That's a great idea. I intend to offer the ability to create bookmarks to premium users only, though. If it could be made so that admins can assign a bookmark to everyone, but only people in "usergroup (s)with permissions" can create new ones, that'd be the bomb.

How do you see this working?
When you create or edit a bookmark, you can select it as 'Global', which inserts it into the Bookmarks list of each and every member on your site?
So even if that member does not have the Bookmarking privilege, they will still have the Bookmarks tabs on their account page (even when empty) which will only display 'Global' bookmarks. These of course will be un-editable so they will not be able to delete them. I assume the same applies to those with Bookmarking permission, or is this group allowed to edit/delete 'Global' ones. And if a 'Global' is marked as a quick-link it will also add the quick-link drop down menu for all users. I assume the Member page bookmarks tab is not necessary for 'Global' ones as it is not really "their" bookmark.

Something like this requires a lot of designing/planning/testing so will only attempt to do this if many of you want this feature.

I see it as a default bookmark for every user, that cannot be removed, ever. It'd be useful to add links to rules, premium membership offerings or something like that :) Could be a separate table altogether and if the admin never checked the box for "global" links, the table wouldn't be checked to begin with.

I just tried to move a thread and the following error popped up. I disabled the Bookmarks add-on and the error went away.

Screen shot 2012-05-18 at 5.50.04 PM.webp
And here is the info from the log:

Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined index: join - library/EWRporta/Model/Post.php:11
Generated By: Coop1979, 2 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /Sites/mytestsite/library/EWRporta/Model/Post.php(11): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/Sites/mytes...', 11, Array)
#1 /Sites/mytestsite/library/Bookmarks/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(26): EWRporta_Model_Post->getPostsInThread(105525)
#2 /Sites/mytestsite/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(310): Bookmarks_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionMove()
#3 /Sites/mytestsite/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /Sites/mytestsite/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(262) "http://mytestsite.com/threads/mysit...93240d8ae28dce99e798f4a7&_xfResponseType=json"
["_GET"] => array(5) {
["/threads/mysite-beta-post-your-questions-bugs-etc_105525/move"] => string(0) ""
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(60) "/threads/mysite-beta-post-your-questions-bugs-etc.105525/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(53) "2,1337377788,132e4297a7a691e093240d8ae28dce99e798f4a7"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

FYI
I will be away for a week.
Should you have any questions or concerns while I'm gone, you may still post them here, but I will not be able to respond until I return on June 03.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am not sure who to ask so I am asking both, upon moving an thread I receive this error.

Code:
Undefined index: join
XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in EWRporta/Model/Post.php at line 11
EWRporta_Model_Post->getPostsInThread() in Bookmarks/ControllerPublic/Thread.php at line 26
Bookmarks_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionMove() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/vhosts/downwithdestruction.net/httpdocs/forum/index.php at line 13

Top Bottom