XF 1.2 Board URL

Jim Giles

Sorry for the dumb question but I installed XenForo successfully but how do I get it to appear at my url, e.g., www.example.com? No forums/, etc. I want the board to appear when someone goes to my home page which I have deactivated from appearing in the navigation bar.

You have your forums closed to visitors. You can enable it via ACP -> Options -> Board Active.

I get the forums for both URLs. However, anything past that is a misconfigured server, which your host can help you with.

You have your forums closed to visitors. You can enable it via ACP -> Options -> Board Active.

I get the forums for both URLs. However, anything past that is a misconfigured server, which your host can help you with.

Yes sir, I understand 'Board is Active.' If the box is not checked then the forum is closed. And I do have it closed currently. But even closed my www.radiofreemississippi.org url does not show 'Error.'

Is this an issue for my host?

Thank you.

We may need you to open the board to see that.

However, this may be down to your configuration as to how multiple domains are resolving to the same one. Normally, you'd just do this with ServerAlias's in one vhost. Other setups may require you to uncomment and configure the RewriteBase line (to /) in the .htaccess.

That said, I wouldn't really recommend having a bunch of seemingly unrelated domains pointing to the same content. You're just going to be potentially reducing your link building effectiveness (SEO).

We may need you to open the board to see that.

However, this may be down to your configuration as to how multiple domains are resolving to the same one. Normally, you'd just do this with ServerAlias's in one vhost. Other setups may require you to uncomment and configure the RewriteBase line (to /) in the .htaccess.

That said, I wouldn't really recommend having a bunch of seemingly unrelated domains pointing to the same content. You're just going to be potentially reducing your link building effectiveness (SEO).

I briefly opened my forum and the error remained at the rebelarmy.com url. Is the multiple domain configuration you refer to an issue for my host or my XenForo settings?

It's usually a host/server configuration issue. I have no idea how the multiple domains are supposed to be pointing at the same system. Your host likely won't be willing to help though (and I can understand why, to some degree it is an app level thing). The RewriteBase is likely what needs to be setup because the configuration is doing something that confuses Apache (which is the documented reason for using RewriteBase).

I contacted my host and they had me clear my cache which resolved the problem. No more error messages.

Another question: Can I upload my logo to styles/default/xenforo/logo.png but use styles/default/xenforo/logo.jpg instead of .png?

I contacted my host and they had me clear my cache which resolved the problem. No more error messages.

Another question: Can I upload my logo to styles/default/xenforo/logo.png but use styles/default/xenforo/logo.jpg instead of .png?
Word of advice... make a child style of the default, create a new directory in your styles directory and copy all related images over from your /default/xenforo over to it and then point your child style logo path there. Makes it much easier to deal with (especially at upgrade time).

Word of advice... make a child style of the default, create a new directory in your styles directory and copy all related images over from your /default/xenforo over to it and then point your child style logo path there. Makes it much easier to deal with (especially at upgrade time).
I just upgraded to 1.2.2 and I had to re-upload my logo. Would your suggestion eliminate me from having to do this in the future?

Also, when I used vBulletin, after an install, I had to delete a file maybe it was install.htm or some other file for security reasons. Is that not an issue with xenForo?

It's a style property.
Yes, I see that but precisely, what are the steps? I don't understand precisely what the steps are. I don't understand precisely how to do the following:

make a child style of the default, create a new directory in your styles directory and copy all related images over from your /default/xenforo over to it and then point your child style logo path there.

Yes, I see that but precisely, what are the steps? I don't understand precisely what the steps are. I don't understand precisely how to do the following:
Very simple. I'll briefly detail how I did one on my Apple forum for a style I have
  1. Created a directory called jsa under the /styles directory in my base root forum folder
  2. copy my xenFoogle Pro directory under styles into the new one called jsa (in your case you would just copy the /default/xenforo to one you name, say my_custom - making sure that it is under the /styles directory
  3. Create New Style
  4. Parent Style - Select Default (or if using a paid style select that one)
  5. Give it a title
  6. Give it a description
  7. If you offer user selectable then click that option (if not deselect it)
  8. Click Save Style
  9. Go back into the Styles and Click (on the new style) the square Allow User Selection box and the round Default Style circle - and then click them off on the others (only if you are not offering user selectable styles).
  10. Go into the Control Panel -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> General (of your new style) and set the path to the directory you made above (example /styles/my_custom)
  11. Update the style
  12. You should be done

Last edited:
For example, what would step 1 be?

Create New Style? Click on Default Style and modify?
Oops.. yep, very important step I left out... duh.
  1. Create New Style
  2. Parent Style - Select Default (or if using a paid style select that one)
  3. Give it a title
  4. Give it a description
  5. If you offer user selectable then click that option (if not deselect it)
  6. Click Save Style
  7. Go back into the Styles and Click (on the new style) the square Allow User Selection box and the round Default Style circle - and then click them off on the others (only if you are not offering user selectable styles).
Sorry about that. Will add the above to my original post.

Very simple. I'll briefly detail how I did one on my Apple forum for a style I have
  1. Created a directory called jsa under the /styles directory in my base root forum folder
  2. copy my xenFoogle Pro directory under styles into the new one called jsa (in your case you would just copy the /default/xenforo to one you name, say my_custom - making sure that it is under the /styles directory
  3. Create New Style
  4. Parent Style - Select Default (or if using a paid style select that one)
  5. Give it a title
  6. Give it a description
  7. If you offer user selectable then click that option (if not deselect it)
  8. Click Save Style
  9. Go back into the Styles and Click (on the new style) the square Allow User Selection box and the round Default Style circle - and then click them off on the others (only if you are not offering user selectable styles).
  10. Go into the Control Panel -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> General (of your new style) and set the path to the directory you made above (example /styles/my_custom)
  11. Update the style
  12. You should be done

copy the /default/xenforo

What exactly needs to be copied? Multiple subfolders and files?

Top Bottom