Best Hosting provider for XenForo?

It sounds to me like you have completely unrealistic expectations for your host. It is their job to take care of your server, keep it online, apply security patches, perhaps install 3rd party software (managed hosting), etc. It is NOT their job to manage your forum.

You obviously don't understand how the usernames work for XF, etc. That isn't their responsibility. What's next? Do you want them to moderate your forum for you too, and start participating and making posts? YOU need to learn how to manage your forum. YOU need to learn how to take care of the users, spam, etc. YOU need to take responsibility for your site, and if you don't know the absolute basics, you shouldn't be running your own forum. Hire some moderators or such to take care of this for you. That's not what your host is supposed to be doing.

As far as backups, it happens. I've seen it many times. Backups only copy what is on the main server, and if the files on the main server became corrupt, were damaged, etc., the backup just isn't going to work. That's why if you truly care about your data, you need to have multiple backups, not just what your host provides.
I agree but for that kind of money people relate to their host.
Today the motherboard of my server i broken so my forum is again for several hours out.
I'm not saying they are not good at Nimbus but i have not reached so many downtimes since ever.
Maybe it's just my bad luck.

Must be bad luck. Completely the opposite with us and Nimbus. We've never had so much up time.

For the moment i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
But i'm loosing members and money with all these problems so i hope it will turn around.

But i'm loosing members and money with all these problems so i hope it will turn around.
I also suffered the downtime at Nimbus today due to the failed motherboard.

However, I am happy with how they have dealt with it. It was a very unexpected failure as the node we were on was new. They kept me informed throughout the downtime and I have received a gesture of goodwill for this inconvenience, which lasted around 3 hours.

This is the first downtime I've had with them and I think it was just unlucky. I have every faith in their service, their customer support is great and I will continue to use them. :)

That makes it sound like Nimbus are somehow at fault when I doubt that is the case.

You did follow their advice for a test restore right?

The simple fact of the matter is that Nimbus do have a good foundation but as yet are simply not experienced enough as a host and are disproportionately expensive. I'll be shifting to an established U.S. - based host.

Reactions: rdn
The simple fact of the matter is that Nimbus do have a good foundation but as yet are simply not experienced enough as a host and are disproportionately expensive. I'll be shifting to an established U.S. - based host.

Nimbus are probably one of the most experienced UK managed hosts for forums. They host massive forums like AVF, etc. You've obviously made up your mind so it'd be interesting to hear exactly what was your problem in the end?

I see, fine, but as I said before KnownHost does indeed have security flaws especially since our database/forums vanished for no reason and @SchmitzIT will back this up. With Nimbus, their back up facility is of no use.
Before saying a host has security flaws you should be able to provide proof instead of just anecdotal problems you are having.

I, like several others here, am currently a KnownHost customer and if there are accusations of security issues being tossed around than proof should be given.

I also suffered the downtime at Nimbus today due to the failed motherboard.

However, I am happy with how they have dealt with it. It was a very unexpected failure as the node we were on was new. They kept me informed throughout the downtime and I have received a gesture of goodwill for this inconvenience, which lasted around 3 hours.

This is the first downtime I've had with them and I think it was just unlucky. I have every faith in their service, their customer support is great and I will continue to use them. :)
I also think that their service is good and the people are certainly very helpfull. I'm sticking on bad luck. I have also received a gesture so will do for now. Certainly not saying that they are bad.

Then you REALLY won't like it for the DMCA. The U.S. based hosts (since that is where the law is in effect at) are usually very stringent.

Hardware (even new hardware) fails. Anything made by man is subject to failure. :)

Sounds like your luck runs about like mine. I always plan for the worst (that's why I have every one of my current VPS containers backed up to my server and my Mac at the house). That way if the new server I got did fail, I wouldn't have to go back through setting up 10 separate VPS's again.

Must be bad luck. Completely the opposite with us and Nimbus. We've never had so much up time.
Which was my thought when the OP suggested KnownHost is somehow less than first cabin. As of the third of this month, I have been with KH for 6 years, to which @jwright can attest. In all that time, I think my site has been down three or four times, that were not self-inflicted. As for security, that is just a non-issue. And KH tech support is phenomenal. Waiting five or six minutes for response to a ticket is an eternity to those folks. I've never partnered with any other business that was so focused on customer service and customer satisfaction. There may be other hosts that are as good as KH, but I just cannot see how any of them could be better.

I agree but for that kind of money people relate to their host.

It really doesn't matter how much you are paying. They are a host, not a forum management company. If you want somebody to manage your forum for you, hire somebody to do that. There are plenty of people out there who do that. But you can't expect your host to do that for you. That's just silly.

As to the hardware failures, they happen with any host. You might want to ask them what kind of servers they are running though, as motherboard failures are extremely rare. Some hosts do indeed run consumer-grade equipment, that isn't meant to operate in a 24/7 commercial environment. In fact, you see it all the time. I7's instead of Xeons, Non-ECC RAM, non-enterprise hard drives, etc. Literally desktop computers put into a server case. That's a recipe for disaster.

It really doesn't matter how much you are paying. They are a host, not a forum management company. If you want somebody to manage your forum for you, hire somebody to do that. There are plenty of people out there who do that. But you can't expect your host to do that for you. That's just silly.

As to the hardware failures, they happen with any host. You might want to ask them what kind of servers they are running though, as motherboard failures are extremely rare. Some hosts do indeed run consumer-grade equipment, that isn't meant to operate in a 24/7 commercial environment. In fact, you see it all the time. I7's instead of Xeons, Non-ECC RAM, non-enterprise hard drives, etc. Literally desktop computers put into a server case. That's a recipe for disaster.
Your remark is just not to the point. I have never said they should manage a forum? I was saying that the downtime was huge. I think that is the responsability of the host. No?

Your remark is just not to the point. I have never said they should manage a forum? I was saying that the downtime was huge. I think that is the responsability of the host. No?

Sure, the downtime is absolutely the responsibility of the host. We are certainly in agreement there. What I am referring to is the fact that you have "phantom users" on your forum, no idea how to manage it, etc., and you are blaming Knownhost for not securing your server, and allowing these "phantom users" to sign up on your forum, etc. You need to be blaming yourself for having no clue how to manage your forum. That's my point.

I don't think his comment about managing a forum was targeted at you specifically (but I can't really speak for him). At least I didn't read it that way.
Downtime due to hardware/networking problems (unless you have shot yourself in the foot on configuring your system yourself) is the hosts responsibility.

Sure, the downtime is absolutely the responsibility of the host. We are certainly in agreement there. What I am referring to is the fact that you have "phantom users" on your forum, no idea how to manage it, etc., and you are blaming Knownhost for not securing your server, and allowing these "phantom users" to sign up on your forum, etc. You need to be blaming yourself for having no clue how to manage your forum. That's my point.
Uhhh... I think that was @OverHere that had that problem. @Robby suffered a motherboard failure. :D

Really?
Where am i saying something about knownhost or about phantom users?
I even don't know knowhost! What are you saying????
I'm with nimbus. Never said anything about managing a forum....

Last edited:
Oh lord. My apologies. I confused you with OverHere. Thank you Tracy, and sorry Robby.

Well then shame on them for their motherboard failures! :LOL: Like I mentioned, I would ask them what their server specs are. Motherboards don't fail all that often.

Oh lord. My apologies. I confused you with OverHere. Thank you Tracy, and sorry Robby.

Well then shame on them for their motherboard failures! :LOL: Like I mentioned, I would ask them what their server specs are. Motherboards don't fail all that often.
No prob, can happen.
:)

Top Bottom