Best CMS

we_are_borg

Well actually, no idea myself. But I'm being told by some, vB4 has improved a lot and the current version is good. And that's come from some of it's biggest critics around like Mark.B and a few others. It's not like them to say that, usually they can't wait to jump on vB4 telling people how chronic it is.

So make of that one what you will?

Well vBulletin is getting new features in but after two years thats about time.

But I'm being told by some, vB4 has improved a lot and the current version is good. And that's come from some of it's biggest critics around like Mark.B and a few others.

Don't believe everything you are told. When you have product as bad as vB4 you only have to remove some of the bugs for users to think it has "improved a lot". The forum is nowhere near as good as Xenforo and the CMS is nowhere near as good as Wordpress. I have no idea why Mark.B changed his mind about it, I cringed when I read his posts in the customer forum at vB. It was almost as if he'd suddenly been brainwashed by IB (or paid, or hypnotised etc..) ;)

Shamil thanks for this latest update.

Don't believe everything you are told. When you have product as bad as vB4 you only have to remove some of the bugs for users to think it has "improved a lot". The forum is nowhere near as good as Xenforo and the CMS is nowhere near as good as Wordpress. I have no idea why Mark.B changed his mind about it, I cringed when I read his posts in the customer forum at vB. It was almost as if he'd suddenly been brainwashed by IB (or paid, or hypnotised etc..) ;)

Shamil thanks for this latest update.
I wouldn't consider Wordpress a CMS. It is good at what it does. Blogging with comments. A CMS it's not.
But this thread isn't about vB's features, now is it?
It's about the California case.

Wordpress lets you manage content - it doesn't need to be blogs - I've seen wordpress power many non blog websites from company sites to portals. I've always seen it primarily as a CMS first, blogs second.

I think Drupal is much more a CMS really, used WordPress a few times and wouldn't class it as a CMS, it's more a Blog.

A CMS it's not

Yes it is. You don't have to use the blog/post feature. You can create a whole site using just static pages and custom menus. Or if you want to showcase or dynamically list content you can just dress up (or down) the blog side to make it look like articles and not blogs.

There are just so many people who when you mention Wordpress they say "Oh, I wouldn't use that, I don't want a blog" - all down to Wordpress's roots as a blog platform. I've failed to persuade many a web person to try it. But you'd be amazed what it can do. I stopped using Dreamweaver and hard coding sites years ago. It's Wordpress and custom, premium themes and templates now. Better results and the client can edit their own content.

Edit - Apologies for continuing the off-topicness :) Slavik will be getting the whip out.

Wordpress has evolved into a CMS, but was started as a blogging platform. Vast sites like the huffington post use it, so it has to be MUCH more than a blog.

I used EE for 9+ years - still use some parts of it. It's a good CMS, but maybe much more than most people need.

I have tried CMS Made Simple for a couple smaller projects and am very impressed. I was able to do everything and anything I wanted to do.

Sooner or later I'd like to move everything to the XF login.....of course, assuming that XF is here and in good standing. As of now, that probably means WP...I even tried a sample import of 100+ articles from EE to WP and it worked fine!

A bridge (sign in) to CMS made simple would be nice, but I like to look at things very long term so WP may be the best bet as the biggest packages would seem to have the most support from both their own communities and the XF developers who create bridges. The last thing I want is a "here today, gone tomorrow" solution!

CMS made simple, concrete 5... I use Pable WYSIWYG webbuilder which now has CMS, it is fantastic and inexpensive. I found Word Press, Joomla, and Drupal, to be over-hyped and far too complicated.

I've used Joomla in the past, and I really liked it and it is very extensible, and there are some great addons available for it. Using it with K2 really improves the default article handling. I've tried playing around with drupal as well, but Joomla was so much more easier to set up and use, so I just went with Joomla...

When it comes to wordpress, I am not sure why, but I don't really like it. It is great to use, and easy and understandable, but I just can't get around to really like it.

I think people need to get over something being the best.
Everyone gets comfortable with a particular software package.
It might be one they've been using for years.
I might be one that does the job.
It might be one that they can tinker with.
Everyone has different needs and skill sets.

Out of the box I have not found Drupal, Joomla or Wordpress to be easy to alter on my own.
Although Wordpress does make it easy to install styles.

Either use a custom one, or with a recent project have been trying out http://www.fork-cms.com/.

I prefer modular CMS that allow me to do what I need without all the fluff, otherwise its just a hassle dealing with.[/quot
Either use a custom one, or with a recent project have been trying out http://www.fork-cms.com/.

I prefer modular CMS that allow me to do what I need without all the fluff, otherwise its just a hassle dealing with.

Forking A, I like this CMS. Very easy. :)

Top Bottom