Best control / web panel for xenforo?!

Hi,

I know there is centminmod...

But the problem here is, that it relys on centOS 7. - And we all know that centOS' days are numbered, more or less...

Best is to use Debian / Ubuntu...

So my question: Which web/ control panel shall I install, before installing xenforo?!

Do you have any experience?!

There are quite many; and I am not savvy in this.
I know that hestia CP is quite good, as I used it one time.

There is also:
Cloudpanel
aapanel
Cyberpanel
virtualmin
webmin
keyhelp
Fastpanel
spanel
cPanel (paid)
DirectAdmin (paid)

Some use nginx as default, others apache.

Latest from AlmaLinux (my preferred poison currently)

Think this is pretty much RHEL's "issue"... give us the money!

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.59.17 AM.webp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.54.24 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.54.24 AM.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If its same, how can that be?
It's not the "same".... CentOS is more the "cutting edge/new" code source... once it is stabilized it got folded into RHEL.
Kind of like Debian and Ubuntu.... Debian doesn't "update" to the latest/greatest like Ubuntu does... they prefer to stay back on older stable packages until the "new" stuff is proven.

I use shared hosting so get cPanel as part of the package. Works fine for what I need. If I was doing a self-managed server of some form, I would look at other options, I guess.
Me too. I have shared hosting (which includes cPanel) for $5 US per month. Works fine for our purposes.

Cool. Not a bad deal for shared! Good tech support?
Acceptable, but nothing to brag about, although I am no expert on web hosting.
I don't like their email service. A lot of emails sent by XF were bouncing because of inadequate authentication which is why I moved that over to Amazon SES.
https://www.site5.com/support/
But as far as the server, it's reliable and suits our needs. To get the $5 rate we pay annually. We have used this same shared hosting arrangement for 19 years and the price has never increased. However, I'm not sure that they still offer the $5 rate. There are probably other providers that offer similar service & price.

CentminMod is what I use and it will be around for a long time. Hell, they are still on 7... they can upgrade to 8 and buy another 5 years.
Actually... CentOS 8 is no longer supported (EOL 12/2021)..... CentOS 7 loses support June 30, 2024.
Currently the continuing OS for CentMin is targeted at AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux.

It's not the "same".... CentOS is more the "cutting edge/new" code source... once it is stabilized it got folded into RHEL.
Kind of like Debian and Ubuntu.... Debian doesn't "update" to the latest/greatest like Ubuntu does... they prefer to stay back on older stable packages until the "new" stuff is proven.
I had to look that up cause I was sure you were wrong. I'll be damned! :D

Actually... CentOS 8 is no longer supported (EOL 12/2021)..... CentOS 7 loses support June 30, 2024.
Currently the continuing OS for CentMin is targeted at AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux.

Centmin Mod still in private beta for AlmaLinux 8 and Rocky Linux 8 testing but getting there. Just implemented some automation into my testing so should help :D

1688457617598.webp

Last edited:
If you're fast enough (that means before august 1st) you can still buy a personal license. It's missing the pro pack but that doesn't matter really.
1 admin and 10 domains for the price of 24 dollar per year!
As long as you have and pay it, it will keep existing for you, but it will be removed from selling options after August 1st anymore. Then you need to buy the personal plus license as cheapest license if you don't have one yet, which includes the pro pack.
I also got some lifetime licenses from back in the day. It's not like cPanel, it needs a bit of work for updating, but it's easy and there is enough support on the forums.

To be safe... 4 options.
cPanel
Centminmod (will get version 8 too) (free)
Directadmin
Plesk

Maybe webmin too, but I like professionl panels more. :)

Top Bottom