Resource icon

[bd] Forum Watch for XenForo 1.2+ 2.1.1b

No permission to download
The first four don't apply, so the debugging process doesn't apply.

The problematic posts aren't consistent as to poster or time of post.

So I'm still at a loss here on how to proceed. You want me to ask a poster to post the same message a second time and see if I'm notified?

The first four don't apply, so the debugging process doesn't apply.

The problematic posts aren't consistent as to poster or time of post.

So I'm still at a loss here on how to proceed. You want me to ask a poster to post the same message a second time and see if I'm notified?
You will need some testing to see if it's the add-on problem or other software's. Of course I think something went wrong on your server. Basically if you find a reply's notification is missing, do your best to recreate the thread (new thread in the new forum, reply in the same order, with same content, etc.) and repost the reply and see if a notification is sent out. If no information is provided, there is nothing I can do. Sorry.

OK, so I have a thread that spans five or six pages. I am not getting all of the responses. It's not consistent. You want me to recreate the thread? Are you serious?

As to whether it's an add-on problem, you know this could entail an endless process of testing and retesting.

As to my server: Since this is the only function that is not working, why assume a problem with the server? It's the function that is controlled by your add-on.

Indeed the problem precedes a recent server migration (meaning it also happened on a different server with differences in OS and basic software versions), but I haven't had time to consider the problem until now.

Would you like access to my current server and one of my forums and see what's going on?

OK, so I have a thread that spans five or six pages. I am not getting all of the responses. It's not consistent. You want me to recreate the thread? Are you serious?

As to whether it's an add-on problem, you know this could entail an endless process of testing and retesting.

As to my server: Since this is the only function that is not working, why assume a problem with the server? It's the function that is controlled by your add-on.

Indeed the problem precedes a recent server migration (meaning it also happened on a different server with differences in OS and basic software versions), but I haven't had time to consider the problem until now.

Would you like access to my current server and one of my forums and see what's going on?
Of course you shouldn't pick the one with 5+ pages to test. As you mentioned, I assumed that happened quite a lot? Try to pick one with <5 posts. Or you can request your staff to post randomly in threads (with max 5 posts/thread) with different combination of contents. This kind of inconsistency is hard to track down FYI. I believe what you said so I don't need to access the server, I just need some more debug information.

Well, wouldn't it be better to actually be able to monitor the process your add-on operates as messages are posted to see what's going on? Perhaps you should add some debugging code, so I can submit a log to you?

What you are suggesting is merely going to force my staff to write posts with no assurance that anything is going to happen, or not happen.

Well, wouldn't it be better to actually be able to monitor the process your add-on operates as messages are posted to see what's going on? Perhaps you should add some debugging code, so I can submit a log to you?

What you are suggesting is merely going to force my staff to write posts with no assurance that anything is going to happen, or not happen.
Even with a logging facility, you still have to do basically the same debugging routine. Plus, adding logging is not very straightforward and quick thing to do.

Understood. But verifying the problem exists doesn't demonstrate how to fix it. I can point to one or more messages for which I never got the notice, but since there is no consistency in the poster or the thread, where do you go next?

Understood. But verifying the problem exists doesn't demonstrate how to fix it. I can point to one or more messages for which I never got the notice, but since there is no consistency in the poster or the thread, where do you go next?
If you can specify one consistently failed reply, I will dive in and check it. That will need access to your server db. Please start a conversation with me for this purpose.

Hi
I have downloaded this but I cant see the watch forum link at the top of each forum I just have selected threads but nothing else.
Can you advise please

Ignor this Im having a senior moment - found it!! :)

Sorry, you can't do that because watching a forum requires some record in the db so it's not possible to force watch forum. However, it's possible to modify the add-on so when a new user register, he/she will automatically watch a specific forum.

Are you still doing this?

We need a feature like this badly.

Looking over the code, xf_forum_watch seems to be the key database table.

INSERT INTO xf_forum_watch (user_id, forum_id, reply_subscribe, notification_method)
select 1,node_id,'0','2' from xf_forum;

should subscribe user 1 to all forum watches.

I created an add-on called Auto Watch Forum on Registration for someone, but sadly they haven't given me permission to release it. I will upload it to the RM if this changes.

In the meantime, Rizwan's code example is pretty much how to do it.

I created an add-on called Auto Watch Forum on Registration for someone, but sadly they haven't given me permission to release it. I will upload it to the RM if this changes.

In the meantime, Rizwan's code example is pretty much how to do it.

I have a big need for one of my forums to have all users auto-watch all forums upon registration. I also need to be able to set all existing users to watch all forums. I am more than willing to pay for it. I understand that this other client hasn't authorized release of that add-on, but perhaps someone else could code something for me? I am more than happy to pay for this to be made. Anyone interested?

Surely if ONE user can do a setting to Watch a forum
- then it must be possible to make it a batch (usergroup) AS IF all the users selected Watch?

Oh - is the problem that they could then opt out of it?

The users of this particular forum wouldn't opt out, but if they did, that wouldn't really be a problem.

@xfrocks

PHP:
    public static function uninstall() {
        // temporary leave our table alone...
        // TODO: drop it
    }

This is going to be a bit of a problem when XenForo 1.2 is released in a final state. The TODO might need to happen at some point soon ;)

Top Bottom