Resource icon

[bd] Forum Watch for XenForo 1.2+ 2.1.1b

No permission to download
I understand the point of this add-on is to alert users when there are new threads or posts, but it would be extremely helpful for very large boards like mine if you incorporated a "no notifications" option. Here's why:

By board has 28 main categories and about 365 separate forums. The most popular of these forums receive hundreds or thousands of posts per day. Before we migrated to Xenforo, we had a "Favorite Boards" feature where a user could add a board to their favorites list for easy reference and navigation, rather than having to wade through 365 forums to the ones they actually frequent.

While the notification feature is great for forums that don't get a lot of traffic, it would be awesome if the user had the ability to choose whether or not they receive alerts for a particular board. That way this addon could be used as both a favorites list and a notification tool.
I see this is a good feature. It will be added in the next release. Thank you.

Could you also add an ACP option to turn OFF email notification please?

Or perhaps just enable email for selected usergroups?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Is this compatible with the newest version of XenForo?
After i uploaded everything to the root, and try to install the XML via admin Panel addon installer, i get the following error:

Server Error

Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate entry 'forumwatch_alert_only-0' for key 'title'
  1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 574
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->insert() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1591
  5. XenForo_DataWriter->_insert() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1580
  6. XenForo_DataWriter->_save() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1381
  7. XenForo_DataWriter->save() in XenForo/Model/Phrase.php at line 1121
  8. XenForo_Model_Phrase->importPhrasesXml() in XenForo/Model/Phrase.php at line 1216
  9. XenForo_Model_Phrase->importPhrasesAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 321
  10. XenForo_Model_AddOn->importAddOnExtraDataFromXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 225
  11. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
  12. XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 178
  13. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstall() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  14. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  15. XenForo_FrontController->run() in forum/admin.php at line 13
This is the first addon I installed (or rather tried to do so). I am not using english language by default, if it makes any difference.

Someone above asked about making this an admin setting not user option.
That is admin can set it so a usergroup or user must watch selected forum. Not user option.
Is this done yet please?

Is this compatible with the newest version of XenForo?
After i uploaded everything to the root, and try to install the XML via admin Panel addon installer, i get the following error:

This is the first addon I installed (or rather tried to do so). I am not using english language by default, if it makes any difference.
Try re-install it then?

Someone above asked about making this an admin setting not user option.
That is admin can set it so a usergroup or user must watch selected forum. Not user option.
Is this done yet please?
Not yet. And probably will not be implemented the way you think. Probably I will add a section in the AdminCP where admin can manage user's watches. Something like that should be useful right?

Not yet. And probably will not be implemented the way you think. Probably I will add a section in the AdminCP where admin can manage user's watches. Something like that should be useful right?

Sorry, but no, not for the way I'd intended permissions to work anyway. :(

Ideally (for my big board) I would like to have a usergroup permission to use the feature so I can have:

Admin usergroup = Yes
Moderators usergroup = Yes
Premium member usergroup = Yes
Registered member usergroup = No

At the moment - with everyone being able to use it - my big board generates so much outgoing email that my server is then tar-pitted by Google, MS, Yahoo, etc. slowing down ALL emails from my board including alerts, PM notifications, and - most importantly - registration confirmations. :(

With usergroup permission I can control the number of outgoing emails by limiting the feature to a few usergroups that I know will be low volume (small admin team and very low number of Premium members). (y)

If you could add a usergroup permission - Can use Thread Watch - and allow us to turn it on/off per usergroup that would be fantastic. (y)

Cheers,

I asked admin can set it so a usergroup or user must watch selected forum. Not user option.
Is this done yet please?

Definitely. Though it might be better to administrate this per forum? Then you could see who is watching a forum, and add or delete them.

I am interested in using this for a small support forum so I'd Revoke ability to see others threads
and enable this addon so both the usergroup permitted to use this particular forum, and the admins servicing it, received notifications.

What I would also like is to display three admin usernames + brief description of their service, on the post form. Then a user writing in could select the relevant admin service and that selected admin - but NOT the other two - gets the notify.

Hi guys, this mod is great, is there anyway I could move the Watched Forum from the main menu to the Member Menu instead:

movefromto.png

Would be nice to have this in the options too, couple of ticks to enable and disable from both locations!

Wanted to move it to the member menu just under Watched Threads.

Many thanks :)

Hi guys, this mod is great, is there anyway I could move the Watched Forum from the main menu to the Member Menu instead:

Would be nice to have this in the options too, couple of ticks to enable and disable from both locations!

Wanted to move it to the member menu just under Watched Threads.

Many thanks :)
Sorry, you will have to edit the template to do that.

Rightclick the link on the top navbar, select Copy Link Location.
Paste the link in a document for now.

In admincp go to Appearances/ Templates
In the search box put "visitor"
Open the "navigation_visitor_tab" template.

Click in the template at the top/ Use Find (CTRL+F) to find "watched."
You will see a paragraph of code with this line in it for watched threads:
Rich (BB code):
<li><a href="{xen:link watched/threads}">{xen:phrase watched_threads}</a></li>
Use Return on the keyboard twice underneath that line to create workspace.
Copy and paste it in as a duplicate. That give you the code structure for your new link.

Change it to the link you want.

1. First put in COMMENT so you can esily find this again later if you need to change it or use it elsewhere.
<xen:comment>INSERT WATCHED FORUMS<</xen:comment>
Copy /paste this blue line of comment and then add your new line of code below it. I also suggest putting this and anything additional right over on the left to make it easier to find again.

2. The URL link. I don't know the link that this addon uses for "watched forums" on the navbar (you copied it earlier).
Simplest is replace {xen:link watched/threads} completely with the URL link you have.

3. The label - this is the text you see on the frontend to click.
Simplest is to replace {xen:phrase watched_threads} with watched forums.

4. Click Save all Changes button at the bottom.

4. TEST. Go to the frontend public page,
Refresh, and open the dropdown under your name. You should see your link there so you can click to test it.

If you like make your link the elegant way - but do the simple way first if you are inexperienced at tweaking templates.

LABEL - create a new phrase - surprisingly easy. You can do this even if you can't get the xen:link part to work the elegant way.
Copy and paste the URL of the admincp page into a new tab so you have a second admincp page - this is bev=cause we want the page template you were editing again so we keep it ready.
In the second admincp page click Phrases on the right.
Click button top right Create New Phrase.
In the title box put watched_forums
In the Phrase Text put Watched Forums
(Title is the code to go in the template. Phrase Text is what you will see on the frontend.)
Click Save Phrase.
Now return to the other admincp page and your navigation_visitor_tab template.
At the end of your line of code you can now put
{xen:phrase watched_forums}
Your copied link probably has " /watched/forums" on the end of it or something very similar. You can replace {xen:link watched/threads} in the line of code with {xen:link watched/forums} or whatever was on the end of your link. Careful to keep / slashes the same, and do not disturb the "quotes."
Click Save all Changes button at the bottom. Text to see if it works.

LINK Your copied link probably has " /watched/forums" on the end of it or something very similar.
You can replace {xen:link watched/threads} in the line of code with {xen:link watched/forums} or whatever was on the end of your link. Careful to keep / slashes the same, don't make a double slash! and do not disturb the "quotes."
Click Save all Changes button at the bottom. Test to see if it works. If it doesn't you can play with it a bit, and/or ask for help here - ask what to use in a xen:link Meanwhile you can always use the full URL.

Many thanks Shan, that worked a treat, managed to create the link in the members menu, question is how do I remove the other link from the main menu? Many thanks once again.

I've seen erratic performance lately. I have the Always Notify About New Reply option set. All my boards are set to Watch. But very frequently, these days, I don't get the messages about new posts.

I have a dedicated server, and I've monitored email received by the server, and these notifications just aren't being sent, so far as I can tell.

Suggestions?

I've seen erratic performance lately. I have the Always Notify About New Reply option set. All my boards are set to Watch. But very frequently, these days, I don't get the messages about new posts.

I have a dedicated server, and I've monitored email received by the server, and these notifications just aren't being sent, so far as I can tell.

Suggestions?

Have you checked your mail log to see whether it has been injected to send?

I had an issue where big freemail service providers were tar-pitting mail from my server due to the volume this add-on was generating - you could perhaps be experiencing something similar?

Cheers,

My server manages our email. It's a cPanel server using MailScanner to provide spam protection. I can consult the link to MailWatch, part of MailScanner, to check messages as they are processed by the server. During the time messages were posted in our forum (also on the same server), some email notifications weren't sent. Period.

My server manages our email. It's a cPanel server using MailScanner to provide spam protection. I can consult the link to MailWatch, part of MailScanner, to check messages as they are processed by the server. During the time messages were posted in our forum (also on the same server), some email notifications weren't sent. Period.
There are some cases IIRC that notification won't be sent out:
  • Message is not visible after posting (moderated or similar)
  • Thread is not visible at the time of reply
  • Notification has already been sent out (quote or thread watch)
  • The poster is in ignore list of subscriber
Can you do the following to debug the problem?
  • Check for aforementioned cases for posts that have problem
  • Find a problematic post and try to recreate it (trick the add-on to not sending out notification consistently)
Thank you.

Top Bottom