BBcode MediaSites Package [Deleted]

Can I ask a technical question that I'm curious about? Why do the codes continually break? Are the sites constantly updating their code to block this sort of thing?

Can I ask a technical question that I'm curious about? Why do the codes continually break? Are the sites constantly updating their code to block this sort of thing?

Well...it is a multitude of reasons, the difference between these and lets say addons, is that in the most general sense, addons do work with data from your own server and display them there...mediasite bbcodes process posted links in order to get data to process from remote servers.

A site can change their url scheme, old links that were redirects might not exist any more, the embed code can change, assets can be moved and therefore the part of a link that is needed for a bbcode can change, in some cases everything appears to work but then they fix a trivial error their embed was throwing (good thing)...and then there is of course shear stupidity which is usually where I come in to play in this matter.

For instance, there is a bbcode with a regular expression that I wrote some time back, and I look at it now...and I wonder to myself, how in the hell did you publish that Ant? And then I wonder...why the hell does this still work. In that case nothing on their end changed nor is anything technically broken but that media-site needs to be updated.

Sites like IMDB are against scraping because they have no desire to serve content for you to embed....but you can literally download all of their records and make your own imdb as long as you don't call it that, a lot of sites are chincy with their bandwidth.

A site that is based on sharing video, would be stupid to try and block this because A: it can ALWAYS be updated, and B: they survive on viewers and people visiting their site...many sites I have made bbcodes for at this point I didn't even know existed until someone requested it, by that same token I am sure if I hadn't made some of those bbcodes myself, I would have only ever seen a video or audio from a site if someone else embedded it in their page.

Either way consider this a public posting to people who own these sites, if you don't want your site getting linked to and referred to please let me know and I will stop doing work for free related to your site because I don't want to bring peoples' eyes to your brand while working for free just so you can throw a hissy fit.

Last edited:
Ign stopped working.

fixed for the next update, probably today or tomorrow

If you want to patch it yourself paste this in the embed html: box.
Code:
<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/{$id}" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Twitter code seems to be busting my mobile responsive theme. Don't know if that's a solvable issue or not, but I wanted to let you know. I had a similar problem with another code a while back. Don't exactly remember which one it was.

The Twitter code seems to be busting my mobile responsive theme. Don't know if that's a solvable issue or not, but I wanted to let you know. I had a similar problem with another code a while back. Don't exactly remember which one it was.

Thanks. Yeah...pretty much all of the bbcodes are getting rewritten or modified in some way to support 1.2, I should be able to pull it off before 1.2 is declared stable and released. I am going to start doing that tonight after I finish my imdb +trailer bbcode over here.

I could probably use some help testing if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Thanks. Yeah...pretty much all of the bbcodes are getting rewritten or modified in some way to support 1.2, I should be able to pull it off before 1.2 is declared stable and released. I am going to start doing that tonight after I finish my imdb +trailer bbcode over here.

I could probably use some help testing if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Yeah man, sure. For all the hard work you do, I'm happy to help out. Would I need to use the 1.2beta? Or could I use my current setup?

Yeah man, sure. For all the hard work you do, I'm happy to help out. Would I need to use the 1.2beta? Or could I use my current setup?

Cool thanks.

Both if you can.

The beta would be preferable if you can just because the first priority is to make sure it works for default installations and then clean up anything after that arises and needs it.

Cool thanks.

Both if you can.

The beta would be preferable if you can just because the first priority is to make sure it works for default installations and then clean up anything after that arises and needs it.

Happy to help with the current version. I can't go with the beta yet because too many of my add-ons aren't using it.

I have a test forum. I suppose I could blank that out and install the 1.2 beta. Nothing local as I'm on a mac and every localhost software that I've seen sucks.

I have a test forum. I suppose I could blank that out and install the 1.2 beta. Nothing local as I'm on a mac and every localhost software that I've seen sucks.

tbh localhost on windows is much worse than mac and I can get along fine with Zend Server and they have a mac version available as well

I don't know if you tried it or not on a mac but in my experience it is the most straight forward and easiest to use WAMP stack that I have tried against windows 7.

If you haven't tried that already I recommend it based on what I have seen of the windows version.

At any rate, I am going to take a break form the imdb-ish bbcode and get started on this after I make and eat a late dinner.

Top Bottom