Implemented Attachment mp3 player

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think it's better left as a modification, because not everyone would need it, and if it was stock it would only contribute to unnecessary bloat. Forum software needs to stick to its purpose: discussion and community building. :)

I think it's better left as a modification, because not everyone would need it, and if it was stock it would only contribute to unnecessary bloat. Forum software needs to stick to its purpose: discussion and community building. :)
I can hardly think of it as a bloat. Communities are drifting toward media rich content be it images, video or music.

Mike and Kier, is mp3 player even in the to-do list?

I couldn't agree anymore, it's a bit unneeded. I can only see a very small percentage of people using this, keep it as an add-on.

Yes, this feature is an absolute must for my forum - I run audio engineering community website where people post their work asking for comments and feedback.

Not everyone? Who's everyone? Can't that be said of video too? It'll be useful for entertainment/media forums that have both.

This feature could be useful if podcasts or interviews are featured on the forum. It would also be handy on music forums like Steve Hoffman's where users post snippets of CDs to compare mastering quality. If implemented well, perhaps it would encourage a new type of user generated content where some members could upload their own audio reviews, rants or whatever and other members could discuss it in the thread. Just a thought.

I think it is as much needed as showing thumbnails for picture attachments. I guess you wouldn't call that unnecessary bloat?

ok, this is the last feature missing in xenforo that keeps me from switching from vBulletin4 after Paul M created vb4>xenforo converter :)

It looks simple as a template mod in vbulletin. Perhaps someone could make something like this for Xenforo?

Code:
<!-- Embed Player -->  <vb:if condition="$attachment[attachmentextension] == mp3">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3247397568-audio-player.swf?audioUrl=attachment.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}attachmentid={vb:raw attachment.attachmentid}&amp;d={vb:raw attachment.dateline}" width="400" height="27" allowscriptaccess="never" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="window" flashvars="playerMode=embedded" /> </vb:if>  <!-- /Embed Player -->

If Xenforo implement this feature there should also consider one important feature:

- user who upload mp3 files should be able to choose if others can download the file or they can only stream the file (without the ability to download)

A temp fix?

On my IP Board I can do this by writing a custom BB Code. Has anyone tried writing custom BB code for xF? That would be the solution me thinks. When they release beta 2 and I can install xF then I will find out. But any of you that have already installed xF try it and post the entries you've made to make it happen.

Here's an example:

Attach your file noting the filename, example: mymusic.mp3

at the base of the post the following:
[attachmp3]mymusic.mp3[/attachmp3]

Submit and you're done :cool:

The good part about this is that you can control who has access to that BB code or not depending if BB codes can be controlled by user groups on xF that is, lol :D

I would be all for this feature, as I've got a couple of fan site forums that would use this immensely.
This and decent youtube implementation (something allowing the user to expand the video full screen) are just critical, at least to what I need

Top Bottom