Lack of interest Associate a resource has an old thread

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would guess that it isn't a core feature, but possibly could be done either via an add-on or MySQL queries.

I can only envisage at this stage, but I guess there's a database table, such as xf_resource which has a column called thread_id. Or a separate table that is purely for the link between resources and threads.

Maybe it's just as simple as changing the thread IDs and rebuilding some caches.

Only time will tell on that one unless the devs are kind enough to let us know :)

i suppose the title should read "Associate a resource with an old thread".

Well most of what's being suggested for RM has been already implemented by Bobster in his add-on Showcase. So let's catch hold of Bobster :P

I haven't tested this (I will on my local), but it should also be possible to create a resource and then merge the two threads.

I'll try that and report back.

Testing complete.

Simply adding the thread ID to xf_resource.discussion_thread_id is enough to associate the thread with the resource.
No cache rebuilding is required.

Merging a new resource thread with an existing thread also works - all you need to do is update the first post with the information that is normally automatically posted in a resource thread (optional).

Testing complete.

Simply adding the thread ID to xf_resource.discussion_thread_id is enough to associate the thread with the resource.

Merging a new resource thread with an existing thread also works - all you need to do is update the first post with the information that is normally automatically posted in a resource thread (optional).
Great news !

Thank you Paul ;)

As per bobster65's request, you can also associate more than one resource with the same thread by editing the database, should you ever wish to do that.

Testing complete.

We have so many threads with file attachments, so if we associate them with the resources, do we need to reupload files to make the "Download" button work? some threads have multiple attachments (in first post).

Well the attachments will need to be added to the RM, not the thread.

So effectively you will need to create the resource, uploading the files to it, then associate it with the existing thread.
You may want to then edit the thread to remove the existing attachments.

Well the attachments will need to be added to the RM, not the thread.

So effectively you will need to create the resource, uploading the files to it, then associate it with the existing thread.
You may want to then edit the thread to remove the existing attachments.
Thanks for the information.
But that's too much work then o_O We have about 1500+ threads with attachments.

Top Bottom