April Fools for Forums

intradox

Just wondering what April Fools jokes forum owners like to try? Was trying to think of something to try on April 1st that would be humorous but not really too intrusive.

One year we put up an all pink style, complete with flower icons. On a gaming site where the users are used to dark themes, this was a rather good trick... & some users ended up liking the style so much we made it selectable year round.

Personally though I'm not really into April Fool's jokes that cause major disruptions.

Put some ants onto their screen. :)

They'll be trying to scratch them off. ;)

antlarge.gif

antsmall.gif

Put some ants onto their screen. :)

They'll be trying to scratch them off. ;)
One of my moderators had a sig image that was this tiny little bug moving around the screen, it was even smaller than the small bug you posted. The first time I saw it on my laptop I have to admit I fell for it. :(

We were going to turn my site into a MLP fan site as it is probably the most cruel and annoying thing I could possibly do to my members. Sadly the staff member who was going to plan out most of the prank was busy and couldn't get around to it so we're not doing it for April Fools :(.

I once made everyone a moderator - not literally, I changed their custom title so it looked like they were. Caused quite a stir and gave them all something to talk about for a while (and really spooked some of them, seeing their forum nemesis made-up to mod status :ROFLMAO: ).

I once made everyone a moderator - not literally, I changed their custom title so it looked like they were. Caused quite a stir and gave them all something to talk about for a while (and really spooked some of them, seeing their forum nemesis made-up to mod status :ROFLMAO: ).

We did something similar using the [You] tags,making an announcement that [You] was now a mod :)

We've done a few over the years.

One year, we changed the colors to the most ungodly combinations we could come up with. We're talking U G L Y here. Years later, there are STILL references made to that prank and to never, ever let a certain individual (the site owner at the time) near the controls again.

Another year the owner and I staged a "coup" where I banned his account. Could hear the jaws dropping around the world.

Another year I put everyone on moderated status and announced I was going to review every single post made from then on in order to ensure it met the "new" requirements for posting. Only I didn't tell them what the requirements were. :D

Not sure if we're going to do anything this year. It's been rather hectic the past month or so, and I really don't have the time to generate another "classic".

Add to EXTRA.css:

Code:
/* April fools theme */
/* Rotate avatars, smilies and thread statistics 180 degrees */
.avatarScaler img,
.avatar .img,
.avatar img,
.mceSmilie,
.listBlock.stats dd {
transform: rotate(180deg);
-webkit-transform: rotate(180deg);
-moz-transform: rotate(180deg);
-o-transform: rotate(180deg);
-ms-transform: rotate(180deg);
-khtml-transform: rotate(180deg);
}

Add to EXTRA.css:

Code:
/* April fools theme */
.avatarScaler img,
.avatar .img,
.avatar img,
.mceSmilie,
.listBlock.stats dd {
}

Hmmm. Might be doing one this year after all. :D

Add to EXTRA.css:

Code:
/* April fools theme */
.avatarScaler img,
.avatar .img,
.avatar img,
.mceSmilie,
.listBlock.stats dd {
}

I might steal this for another forum I admin at :ROFLMAO:

javascript: R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.getElementsByTagName("img"); DIL=DI.length; function A(){for(i=0; i-DIL; i++){DIS=DI[ i ].style; DIS.position='absolute'; DIS.left=(Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5)+"px"; DIS.top=(Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5)+"px"}R++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0);

Note: doesn't do anything evil, just makes some fun with images on the page. You can simply paste this into the address bar of your browser (make sure, the browser doesn't remove the javascript: thing at the start of the line) to test it locally on any page with images or embed it inside $(document).ready(), window.onLoad or similar.

A bit more work is required to make this a useful prank. By default, the animations don't stop until you reload the page and this is probably more annoying than funny :)

Better readable version:
Code:
R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200;
DI=document.getElementsByTagName("img"); DIL=DI.length;

function A() {
    var i;
    var DIS;
    for(i=0; i-DIL; i++){
        DIS=DI[i].style;
        DIS.position='absolute';
        DIS.left=(Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5)+"px";
        DIS.top=(Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5)+"px"
    }
    R++
}
setInterval('A()',5);
void(0);

I'm going to make an announcement that I will be running for congress in 2014. A few of them have been bugging me about it anyways so they should take it hook, line, and sinker. :whistle:

If I do pursue political office it probably be in 10 years rather than sooner lol.

Top Bottom