Apple Fall Event - iPhone 8, iPhone 7S and Watch 3

It only works if everyone else uses an iDevice though (something that uses Apple Messages)... which basically is just me in my family. :(

Last edited:
They removed the thing I like the most on the new iPhone X. Touch ID, I won't buy the iPhone X. It doesn't look convenient to swipe all the time and I'm not always watching my phone to unlock it. It's also way overpriced. Still Happy with my 6S plus.

I'm not an iBrainWashee and really don't get the hype over iProducts.
Careful you don't cut yourself on that edge :D

I didn't listen to the "big" announcement yesterday, but listened to an over enthusiastic NPR commentator yesterday talk about the new, exciting and groundbreaking features such as edge to edge display, no more home button, facial recognition to unlock the phone... I thought she was talking about the Galaxy 8, nope iPhone hype as if this was new stuff.
It is new stuff, on an iPhone. I don't want to insult your intelligence since I'm sure you understand the difference between "this is new, on a smartphone" and "this is new, on an iPhone", but if I assume you do understand that, then the only conclusion is you're trolling.

You wouldn't have liked it if someone came into a thread back when Samsung first introduced their fingerprint sensor to authenticate Android Pay payments and said "whoah for a second I thought I was watching the iPhone conference!" I'm sure.
I mean, I know people actually did it, because this is the internet and it's not just people who hate Apple products that are trolls, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

Tech companies copy each other all the time, it's how the industry moves forward. If only 1 phone manufacturer was allowed to have a touch screen, only 1 was allowed to have multi-touch gestures, only 1 was allowed to have a fingerprint sensor, [...] we would be living in an incredibly boring world.
As long as every company develops the tech on their own, or licence it within the law, copying is great for consumers :)

Fillip

Careful you don't cut yourself on that edge :D

It is new stuff, on an iPhone. I don't want to insult your intelligence since I'm sure you understand the difference between "this is new, on a smartphone" and "this is new, on an iPhone", but if I assume you do understand that, then the only conclusion is you're trolling.

You wouldn't have liked it if someone came into a thread back when Samsung first introduced their fingerprint sensor to authenticate Android Pay payments and said "whoah for a second I thought I was watching the iPhone conference!" I'm sure.
I mean, I know people actually did it, because this is the internet and it's not just people who hate Apple products that are trolls, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

Tech companies copy each other all the time, it's how the industry moves forward. If only 1 phone manufacturer was allowed to have a touch screen, only 1 was allowed to have multi-touch gestures, only 1 was allowed to have a fingerprint sensor, [...] we would be living in an incredibly boring world.
As long as every company develops the tech on their own, or licence it within the law, copying is great for consumers :)

Fillip

Fair points, to me I just don't understand the Apple fascination. They are adequate products, better at some things, behind in others.

I was at the mall when the iPad2 (or maybe 3 - I don't keep up with Apple products) was released. There was a line of people through the mall and spilling out on to the street. They hired many cops to manage the crowd. The Apple employees were going up and down the line chanting iPad2... iPad2... and the crowd was repeating it back. It was really something to see. We then went out to eat at the mall and we saw someone who must have been early in the line. He looked excited to take it out, played with it for less than 1 minute, and it went back in the bag seeming bored.

I'll admit Apple is amazing at marketing.

Again, with the skewed NPR story, the commentator seemed overly excited like these were novel technologies that Tim invented and waited to release with the new phone.

If you want an Apple, enjoy (I bought my mom one), if want an Android, enjoy. If you want a Windows phone, well...

funny-reactions-to-iphone-x-memes-9-59b8ed33d9b40__700.webp

Fair points, to me I just don't understand the Apple fascination. They are adequate products, better at some things, behind in others.
I realise this is 100% anecdotal and not relevant in 2017, but when I first switched to Apple for my phone line, it was for a few reasons. I had owned 2 Android phones (Sony Xperia X10, Xperia arc), and those phones were rubbish.
  • OS upgrades lagged behind the "head" Android version by 18 months or more.
  • Rollout of planned upgrades wasn't even uniform, they let carriers hold back updates for "certification"
  • Android OS wouldn't let me download apps to my SD card because my internal storage was below 20% free space
  • By the end of the arc's physical life, it was so laggy that I could not answer the phone because the slider didn't respond. I couldn't use my phone as a phone.
Furthermore, I spent more time messing with the OS trying to get things "just right" than I did actually using it for anything. You would think that being a huge nerd meant lots of customisation is perfect, right? Wrong. The more choice you give compulsive tinkerers like me, the less productive in the grand scale we are.

For instance, just look at people who are hard-core about running Linux as their PC OS of choice. They will absolutely spend hours recompiling kernels and such things because they want to control 100% of what's going on, and their current kernel isn't compatible with some obscure tweak they want.

The iPhone does everything I could ever need it to do, and it does it without bogging me down with billions of options (or the option of adding billions of options), so I can focus on using my phone. Not having the option of adding unneeded options means I accept things the way they are. "Haha you're letting Apple decide for you", so what? They don't restrict me from doing anything I need to do, so what's the problem exactly?

The small amount of tinkering I allow myself is the installation of updates. I know that when I read "Apple releases iOS 11.0.1", I can download that update right away (or within the next hour or so, depending on how fast the article writer was compared to Apple's CDN), I don't have to wait for some arbitrary phone manufacturer's custom UI and custom drivers to be updated, packaged, distributed, then certified by my carrier. I download the update, I reboot the phone and it's done.

Next, I want to talk about accessories. Not specifically charging cables, I hate the Lightning cable as much as the next person and I wish USB-C was a bigger standard than it is (Apple could help make that happen by making the iPhone charge with USB-C, but hey). I mean things like cases. I bet if I go to Amazon right now and search for "iPhone 8 case" I will be able to find manufacturers that aren't just spamming their titles for relevance, but actually have cases designed for the iPhone 8.

Could you say the same for when any random Android manufacturer releases their new flagship? Is there hundreds, if not thousands of accessory makers that are literally chomping at the bit to check their existing products if they fit, and if not, manufacture new versions? I'm willing to bet that for the majority of manufacturers (probably excluding Samsung with their Galaxy series), the answer is no.
So we're in a situation where, do you own an iPhone? There's thousands of certified accessories for you. Do you own a HTC SomePhone or Xperia somePhone? I hope you're willing to pay what HTC and Sony are charging you and that you don't want anything outside that range.

It's also worth mentioning that Apple supports their phones much farther into the future than any other manufacturer. You could argue that the iPhone 4 probably had the capabilities to render parallax effects or whatever the hell it was they disabled for that phone in iOS 10, but you're still talking about a four year old phone receiving the latest updates.
With Android, you're lucky if you receive 8-10 month old OS updates 6 months after purchasing the flagship phone of your favourite manufacturer.
You could say "just buy the Google Nexus / Google Pixel phone, you'll get mainstream updates!" Congratulations, you've just taken away literally the only advantage Android has (diverse phones in all shapes & sizes & build qualities & prices), by telling people to buy Google's iPhone.

Speaking of support, I have used Apple's customer service on multiple occasions and it has been nothing short of excellent. Anecdotal, but I have had nothing but good experiences with their support dept. You go on their site, it already knows what devices you own because you signed in with your Apple ID so they are registered to your account. It tells you how long the warranty lasts for. You can book an appointment with a real human and choose your most convenient Apple Store location & time, all without having to call someone and make on-the-spot decisions while on the phone. Unless you royally mangled it such as dropping it in the toilet, Which I Totally Have Never Done Because That Would Be Silly, they will help you out.
Twice I had to take my Mac in for service, twice they repaired it for free when they didn't have to.

I feel like Apple realises that customer service satisfaction is a part of a company's brand just as much as their products. You can think the Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War are both excellent games, but you're still going to look at WB with disdain because of the fact that they appear to be attempting for some form of record of how far they can jam their own foot in their mouth. Apple wants someone to have such a good experience buying, using and receiving support for their devices that they will reply to someone's criticism of their company with a 500 word essay.

The same can be said for Apple's stance on security and privacy. When you think of the list of companies you trust with your location and personal information, you're probably going to say Google and Apple. If you're the more paranoid sort, that list is probably only Apple, since Google's services are free, which means you are the product.
When the FBI wanted Apple to create a backdoor into iOS, Apple refused. I believe they didn't refuse specifically so that they could ride the PR wave, I believe they refused because they truly realise that creating that backdoor would be the textbook definition of a slippery slope. They realise that privacy & security is becoming more important to the customers, and they cannot have anything major tarnishing their brand in the eyes of those consumers. Those consumers are the ones all the non-technical consumers go to with "hey I read that evil hackers can read everything on my phone, they can't do that to my iPhone right?" and Apple wants the response to be "nah, iPhones are way more secure".
It just so happens that in this case, there was a major PR benefit to being public about the FBI's request and Apple's response. I believe Apple would have taken the same stance had that not been the case, they would have just taken said stance in silence.

When you buy an iPhone, you are not only getting a very polished OS that lets you focus on the things that should actually be important, you're getting a better all-round experience when you factor in things like security, how premium the phone feels, support (OS updates & customer service), and accessories.

That is my take on why people love iPhones. If you want to know why people go nuts for them beyond just being excited for a New Shiny Thing, it's the same reason why people go nuts for their favourite sports team. People make things they are a fan of part of their identity. That's not an Apple thing, and you know it.

Fillip

The more choice you give compulsive tinkerers like me, the less productive in the grand scale we are.

That's definitely true. I've disabled my Android phones for a few hours rooting and tinkering with them...

And I'm still tinkering with the router I bought my family a week ago...

As for Apple support, it's excellent. I bricked my iPhone trying to restore it back to iOS 10 from an 11 beta, and I took it into an Apple Store the next day. Replaced there and then, after a small amount of troubleshooting. No sending it away, and hoping they don't take that £500 authorisation they took on your card when they sent you a replacement (Google), no waiting ages for the replacement to arrive, then just missing it because the delivery company is ****e [oh come on, you're censoring '****'?].

And their backup system is excellent - all my iOS 10 apps were still on there when I restored. It was super easy.

Same with my MacBook - dead pixels, got a free screen replacement. Only took 3 days.

Liam

Buuuuut after paying $1k for that new phone you still can't plug it into your brand new macbook pro because USB C is the future, but not future enough to include one in the box so you have to pay for their ridiculouse $40 cable :cautious: lol

Top Bottom