Apple Fall Event - iPhone 8, iPhone 7S and Watch 3

It's fairly common though, both the Nexus and Pixel do that :p
I know. Doesn't mean it's any more intuitive. I'm sure it works, but trying to visualise it as if it was on the back on my iPhone results in awkward positioning of my fingers behind the phone. I guess you'd get used to it.

No touch ID at all, the face ID tech seems reasonable and the lack of a home button doesn't seem to be particularly problematic.

I've seen issues with the S8 in terms of having to swipe up to hit home/back etc. and I've watched people struggle with it.

The gestures on the iPhone X seem reasonable.

Not that I care. I'm not buying one.

I'm not buying one.

I am NOT buying one.

I'm not going to buy one...

******* it, when's it release?

I want one as well... I just need to find a spare £1000.

Or £60 a month. That works.

I know. Doesn't mean it's any more intuitive. I'm sure it works, but trying to visualise it as if it was on the back on my iPhone results in awkward positioning of my fingers behind the phone. I guess you'd get used to it.

Having used both, I do prefer the iPhones system. Makes completing purchases easier, although Android Pay doesn’t actually require authentication, so it’s a mostly moot point.

Being able to unlock the device with picking it up is a plus though.

Liam

But you can't just pick it up can you? Pretty sure you have to slide up while looking at it :p

That post was referring to Touch ID. Either way, I’ll take a train to the Stratford Apple store and have a look in person, when they’re there.

I'm sure people will laugh at it. Just like we all laughed that time Bill Gates was on stage showing Windows 98 and had a blue screen of death. But being realistic, teething problems are teething problems and it looks to me like NixFifty mentioned above that it was most likely just that the demo kit hadn't been set up properly - maybe the device had been rebooted or something.

Yeah, I'm not going to hold it against them. It's always fun when something goes wrong with a live demo, and to be fair Craig handled it very well.

I see the tech specs have bumped up the PPI even further!
  • 2436x1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
Does that mean we're going to start needing 3x image assets?

It's already been almost 5 hours and there's still no 3x image asset support in XenForo. Clearly this shows that XF2 is only the best of "what was" :P

I'm the sort of cabbage that's sold on the new tech, I'd have to be right proper careful to curb my addiction to installing iOS betas if I was to go for the X though, as if the swipe stops working or gets laggy, that's the worst experience of all time.

What I wish they did was make that side button that activates Siri also function as an old school home button. By all means, focus on the gestures, but if there was an option to have a hardware home button on the side, that'd massively reduce people's umming and ahhing about this phone, I feel. Right now, I think it'll mostly appeal to hard-core Apple fans (of which I count myself after having used their products for a few years now) and for people who love shiny new tech (of which I definitely count myself).

Fillip

Is it just me that wasn't very impressed with iPhone X for the thousand dollar price tag? Guess I'll still be sticking with my lil 'ole 5s still.

I'll be expecting some kind of FaceID XenForo login system utilising webcams to be shoehorned into the 2.0 release in order to make sure it's keeping up with the times. You've got 6 weeks until pre-orders, that should be enough time 😜

Have the option of upgrading as part of the upgrade programme. JUst don't think the X is worth the wait/cost so thinking I'll go from the 7+ to the 8+

I think what they probably wanted to do was touch ID inside the glass, but couldn't.

I don't think they ever seriously considered touch ID at the back. Just seems like a really unintuitive position IMO.

I don't mind it on the S8 being on the back you get used it to.

I worry more with iPhone being face only what happens when it's in a cradle in the car? It won't recognise the face for sure and will have to be password unlocked.

The S8 face detection is a pain and works probably once out ten goes.

I’m not sure if I’m a big fan of the edge to edge display... I like to be able to see all of the videos I watch on my phone.

Although, the aspect ratio is funky, so maybe that’ll be part of the pillar boxing...

Liam

Yeah, I'm not going to hold it against them. It's always fun when something goes wrong with a live demo, and to be fair Craig handled it very well.

I see the tech specs have bumped up the PPI even further!
  • 2436x1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
Does that mean we're going to start needing 3x image assets?
No it means SVG is king. ;)

I think what they probably wanted to do was touch ID inside the glass, but couldn't.

I don't think they ever seriously considered touch ID at the back. Just seems like a really unintuitive position IMO.
I happen to have an Android phone with fingerprint sensor on it's back. I had the same opinion at first, but after unlocking the phone with my index finger in the natural way I hold my phone, touching the home button at the bottom of the screen seemed like a hassle.

I'm not an iBrainWashee and really don't get the hype over iProducts.

I didn't listen to the "big" announcement yesterday, but listened to an over enthusiastic NPR commentator yesterday talk about the new, exciting and groundbreaking features such as edge to edge display, no more home button, facial recognition to unlock the phone... I thought she was talking about the Galaxy 8, nope iPhone hype as if this was new stuff.

Top Bottom