Alpha testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grover

Hi,

Ceremoniously I hereby close my XenForo break that started in March 2011 (y) .

xenforo break no more.webp

Thank God this appalling lawsuit is over once and for all! Now, I recall that there was the possibility to be involved in Alpha testing Xenforo way back in the days. I am feeling driven and motivated again to contribute ideas/suggestions to this (already) wonderful product. Will there be a chance again to sign up for Alpha testing a new XenForo version?

I don't recall any talk of some alpha testing thing?

That's correct, because their wasn't any in public :-) I joined a bit later, but this time I would like to be able to see/test an alpha version from the start. If there's going to be such an alpha testing phase to begin with ofcourse, I don't know.

Alpha testing, those were the days, :) Installed on a live site, no issues/bugs that I can remember. IIRC, the biggest issues were styling: should Mark Forums Read be the first link or the last? Or if the little blue ball was really needed to show unread threads. I doubt 1.2 will need Alpha testers, maybe when 2.0 comes about?

Welcome back Grover, good to see you here again. :)

Alpha testing, those were the days, :) Installed on a live site, no issues/bugs that I can remember. IIRC, the biggest issues were styling: should Mark Forums Read be the first link or the last? Or if the little blue ball was really needed to show unread threads. I doubt 1.2 will need Alpha testers, maybe when 2.0 comes about?

Welcome back Grover, good to see you here again. :)

Yeah as far as I can remember alpha days were good, everything flew very fast when we got our hands on it, stable and I'm sure everyone's jaw dropped when they seen how good it was. Alpha was more about refining some placements like "this would look better like this" or " that would be better suited over there".

I remember wowing at the template/styling system and saying how easy and intuitive it was yet powerful for the advance stylers that want to do a little more with it. I still say that to this day.

edit: we are talking about xenforo alpha testing right?

So you abandoned xF and want to come back and get in line for an Alpha, if there is one?

What about the members here who registered later, but yet with tons and tons of add-ons, help, troubleshooting, etc...? Should you get a place over them?

So you abandoned xF and want to come back and get in line for an Alpha, if there is one?

What about the members here who registered later, but yet with tons and tons of add-ons, help, troubleshooting, etc...? Should you get a place over them?

Oh, for goodness sake! No further comment...

That's correct, because their wasn't any in public :) I joined a bit later, but this time I would like to be able to see/test an alpha version from the start. If there's going to be such an alpha testing phase to begin with ofcourse, I don't know.
Ah, I recall what you're talking about now. I think that was a select number of people Kier and Mike approached, no? Just luck of the draw?

Let's try to be supportive please.

Well said.

To elaborate. 1.1 didn't have a alpha team for testing (or atlleast not that I was aware of) it was just released, I assume 1.2 will be the same. On that note, i think the best alpha testing team will be the whole community, at the same time once the devs are happy something is worth releasing and ready for testing. Just my 2 pence worth.

Let's try to be supportive please.
and this was productive how?
Snide comments will fritter away as the community gets back together - I hope, anyway. :)

It wasn't a snide comment. It was a serious question. Someone abandons (leaves) xF for two years, the two hardest it will likely ever face, and wants to be in line for an Alpha testing...say 50-75 people get an Alpha test (if there even is one), and someone like Chris Deeming, Syndol, Shelley, Digital Point, tenants, Waindigo, 8thos, etc... gets left off because of that?

I certainly wouldn't want to see that. I'd rather see the ones that have been here helping many of the others, who have developed the add-ons, who have styled for it, etc. It's not my issue if others are fragile, and see it as a snide comment.

It wasn't a snide comment. It was a serious question. Someone abandons (leaves) xF for two years, the two hardest it will likely ever face, and wants to be in line for an Alpha testing...say 50-75 people get an Alpha test (if there even is one), and someone like Chris Deeming, Syndol, Shelley, Digital Point, tenants, Waindigo, 8thos, etc... gets left off because of that?

I certainly wouldn't want to see that. I'd rather see the ones that have been here helping many of the others, who have developed the add-ons, who have styled for it, etc. It's not my issue if others are fragile, and see it as a snide comment.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People made their own choices regarding the software, as they will carry on doing in its future. If people are coming back, I welcome them. As I would welcome anyone. We are back to a level playing field in my eyes now. Lets keep the past where it belongs and focus on making xF excellent again.

If Grover was selected as an Alpha tester, I for one wouldn't be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom