Alpha testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a snide comment. It was a serious question. Someone abandons (leaves) xF for two years, the two hardest it will likely ever face, and wants to be in line for an Alpha testing...say 50-75 people get an Alpha test (if there even is one), and someone like Chris Deeming, Syndol, Shelley, Digital Point, tenants, Waindigo, 8thos, etc... gets left off because of that?

I certainly wouldn't want to see that. I'd rather see the ones that have been here helping many of the others, who have developed the add-ons, who have styled for it, etc. It's not my issue if others are fragile, and see it as a snide comment.

Many of us including myself were bitter towards the abandons and xF dooms days... But now it is time to put that all beyond us and treat everyone equal regardless if your member #10 or member #10,ooo to mend and rebuild our community great again. It's time to end all the drama and egos and work together to build xF in to that amazing bright future we all know it has.

This is why the alpha testers chosen would be under an NDA. No matter who gets in there will be those who think either that person shouldn't be in or someone else was more deserving.

Personally, I don't care if the person chosen had been gone for the whole time or here the whole time, as long as they were serious about the testing and had the ability I'd be cool with it.

This is why the alpha testers chosen would be under an NDA. No matter who gets in there will be those who think either that person shouldn't be in or someone else was more deserving.

Personally, I don't care if the person chosen had been gone for the whole time or here the whole time, as long as they were serious about the testing and had the ability I'd be cool with it.
Shelley or John will be able to correct me if I remember wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of us signed an NDA when we alpha tested for xenForo.

I've never been an Alpha tester before. Since I missed my chance can I be a Omega Tester? It sounds so much cooler.

Many of us including myself were bitter towards the abandons and xF dooms days... But now it is time to put that all beyond us and treat everyone equal regardless if your member #10 or member #10,ooo to mend and rebuild our community great again. It's time to end all the drama and egos and work together to build xF in to that amazing bright future we all know it has.

Ahh, at least you have changed from your stance on Brogan then, who just a few days ago you claimed you wanted to stay away, etc..
Edge.webp

It shows 7min ago because it is a cache from Google.

Remember, you stated this:

"But now it is time to put that all beyond us and treat everyone equal regardless if your member #10 or member #10,ooo to mend and rebuild our community great again. It's time to end all the drama and egos and work together to build xF in to that amazing bright future we all know it has."

Take your own advice.

Ahh, at least you have changed from your stance on Brogan then, who just a few days ago you claimed you wanted to stay away, etc..

Yeap, I have.. You forgot the first line I said... "Many of us including myself were bitter towards the abandons and xF dooms days..." If your going to quote someone, quote them fully.. Don't pick and choose lines to try to paint a picture that isn't there.

So what's your stance on Brogon.. Would you be upset if he was made a tester? I mean he did the exact thing as Grover.

I haven't seen him here. So its not a question really. Has he posted lately on xF?

And no, his situation and Grover's are NOWHERE near the same. fact

Either way, enjoy your day Mike Edge.

Shelley or John will be able to correct me if I remember wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of us signed an NDA when we alpha tested for xenForo.

An NDA was in place and stated in the e-mail if memory recalls. I'm 99% sure it was.

I'll need to hunt for the e-mail to confirm that though.

An NDA was in place and stated in the e-mail if memory recalls. I'm 99% sure it was.

I'll need to hunt for the e-mail to confirm that though.
I don't think there was an NDA because prior to the 1.0.0 people were able purchase licenses during the beta/RC phase (is how some people have license purchase dates prior to the actual 1.0.0 release).

I don't think there was an NDA because prior to the 1.0.0 people were able purchase licenses during the beta/RC phase (is how some people have license purchase dates prior to the actual 1.0.0 release).

I just checked and there was indeed one.

It wasn't a snide comment. It was a serious question. Someone abandons (leaves) xF for two years, the two hardest it will likely ever face, and wants to be in line for an Alpha testing...say 50-75 people get an Alpha test (if there even is one), and someone like Chris Deeming, Syndol, Shelley, Digital Point, tenants, Waindigo, 8thos, etc... gets left off because of that?

I certainly wouldn't want to see that. I'd rather see the ones that have been here helping many of the others, who have developed the add-ons, who have styled for it, etc. It's not my issue if others are fragile, and see it as a snide comment.
Alpha Testing is something you do to work out the initial bugs on an untested product. So you pick Alpha Testers based on things like who you have a repoire with and can communicate freely and readily, as well as a diversity of admins who have different levels of experience, as well as resources so you get a good idea of the spectrum of problems that can arise. As such, this is not a reward or a gift, as in most cases, no one should never be running untested software on a live site. It's more like a favor you ask to help you out with development. If someone wants to be a part of that, they're just being helpful and should be regarded as such.

I know what Alpha Testing is. I know the concept. I understand it. That is not any part of what I was talking about.

Alpha Testing is something you do to work out the initial bugs on an untested product. So you pick Alpha Testers based on things like who you have a repoire with and can communicate freely and readily, as well as a diversity of admins who have different levels of experience, as well as resources so you get a good idea of the spectrum of problems that can arise. As such, this is not a reward or a gift, as in most cases, no one should never be running untested software on a live site. It's more like a favor you ask to help you out with development. If someone wants to be a part of that, they're just being helpful and should be regarded as such.

Maybe your thinking of another product alpha team setup. Certainly not this one. The people hand picked came from many areas from designers, stylers, coders, developers and general users to give a balanced all round testing environment and feedback as well as bug hunting and minor fixes. Remember, this is xenforo and things were done properly and efficiently.

Either way, this thread has passed it's sell by date there is nobody being educated in this thread.

I know what Alpha Testing is. I know the concept. I understand it. That is not any part of what I was talking about.

Your missing the entire point.. Testing has nothing to do with how long you been in a community.. It has to do with aspects of having the ability to find and report bugs, look for loopholes and exploits, know how to crash PHP software and see if you can successfully do so. You don't gain any of that being active on a forum. Sadly your one of the only people still Stew not letting the past be the past and still feel just cause someone stuck around they are owned something. I stuck around because xF is the best out their and always had faith in it's future and I expect nothing in return or expect to be treated any better then any other customer for doing so. People move on and sometimes return back in all aspects.. It's part of life.

Maybe your thinking of another product alpha team setup. Certainly not this one. The people hand picked came from many areas from designers, stylers, coders, developers and general users to give a balanced all round testing environment and feedback as well as bug hunting and minor fixes. Remember, this is xenforo and things were done properly and efficiently.

o_O That's kinda what I said.

o_O That's kinda what I said.

I read it, looked at it that you were saying this wasn't the case. Apologies, with the bickering back and forth it's becoming a fragmented thread.

If there were an alpha stage again the best people currently here at xenforo is what the devs want to be looking for. If this means past alpha testers are not included then this is the way it is, has to be since they picked a good team back then, they'll pick a good team in the future if it happens. I'm personally not fussed if I'm not included and I suspect many others wouldn't be either if there outlook that the team do their job and want to see a great product being tested, which i'm sure it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom