Alert Improvements by Xon

Alert Improvements by Xon 2.10.13

No permission to download
Did you upgrade from XF2.0 => XF2.1/XF2.2 recently? If so, that is from a leftover XF2.0 add-on

I think my site is also having the alerts issues others have reported in this thread, gonna sadly have to disable this addon for now as I am sure Xon has a lot on his plate but just wanna express excitement for seeing this one fixed!

I haven't had time to work on this add-on recently. I'm hopeful in the next 1-3 weeks I'll have time.

The actual source of the issue is this code in the stock XenForo alerts src/XF/Notifier/AbstractNotifier.php;
PHP:
        protected function basicAlert(
                \XF\Entity\User $receiver, $senderId, $senderName,
                $contentType, $contentId, $action, array $extra = [], array $options = []
        )
        {
                // generic alerts default to autoRead=true, but notification alerts normally relate to specific content
                // so we can default them to false
              if (!isset($options['autoRead']))
              {
                      $options['autoRead'] = false;
              }
If you comment out this out, you'll get pre-XF2.2 behaviour
Sorry for double posting, but just trying to clarify -- doing this will fix the buggy alerts?

So after a few weeks of trying to use this addon post update from 2.1->2.2 and fix the issue of alerts returning they definitely still are. It does seem to be random who is having the problem but nothing I can do beyond disabling this addon will fix the problem.

My users really do love the Alert Improvements features but some members have over a hundred alerts that keep coming back and it's just not something I can accept as collateral damage.

Hopeful that you may update this addon with a rix soon Xon 🙏 I'd even be willing to pay premium addon prices, besides this one issue the addon is fantastic and worth paying for.

So after a few weeks of trying to use this addon post update from 2.1->2.2 and fix the issue of alerts returning they definitely still are. It does seem to be random who is having the problem but nothing I can do beyond disabling this addon will fix the problem.

My users really do love the Alert Improvements features but some members have over a hundred alerts that keep coming back and it's just not something I can accept as collateral damage.

Hopeful that you may update this addon with a rix soon Xon 🙏 I'd even be willing to pay premium addon prices, besides this one issue the addon is fantastic and worth paying for.

I agree, this is a fantastic add-on and @Xon should be charging for it :)

This alert issue is unfortunate, we're in the same boat (tons of members experiencing this). I really hate to modify PHP files, so we might have to disable it as well :(

I agree, this is a fantastic add-on and @Xon should be charging for it :)

This alert issue is unfortunate, we're in the same boat (tons of members experiencing this). I really hate to modify PHP files, so we might have to disable it as well :(
Man, I really hate that I don't know what fixed it for me. I would love to help you guys :cautious:

Not sure if this is working as designed or a bug, but

User Option to prevent summarization when accessing /accounts/alerts page.
User Option to adjust summarization threshold

are still being shown in user preferences even if alert summarization is turned off in ACP.

IMHO this doesn't make much sense and confuses users, I therefore think it would be better to not show those options if summarization is turned off.

Great addon with lots of fix and update and support and on top of that is free for everyone, no doubt that Xon doing this cuz he loves coding and fixing things especially from his products

It's give all post alerts ? If users not click every post watch button(And receive email notifications)
also . I hope I understand you sir

I'd like to just add my name to the list of affected folks where marking alerts as read randomly doesn't work for some members. We've simply disabled the addon for the time being but hopefully we can get an update to fix this behavior soon!

@Xon is the issue related to core XF code and if so is it a bug in the code or just a change in the way alerts operate from 2.1 to 2.2?

I'd like to just add my name to the list of affected folks where marking alerts as read randomly doesn't work for some members. We've simply disabled the addon for the time being but hopefully we can get an update to fix this behavior soon!

We're still experiencing it, too. I've spent days trying to figure out what might be causing it or at least what the affected members have in common. No luck, unfortunately.

We've simply disabled the addon for the time being but hopefully we can get an update to fix this behavior soon!

I'm afraid we might have to do the same for the time being :(

@Xon I noticed if I disable the addon, alerts display as normal, but when I enable it again the same alerts that couldn't be marked read re-appear as unread again (and again are unable to be marked read). We've been running this since the XF1 version released in 2015. Is there any chance uninstalling and reinstalling the addon might fix an odd issue like this?

Xon updated Alert Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

2.9.0 - Feature & bugfix update

• Require php 7.2+
  • Require XenForo 2.2+, remove XF2.1 support
  • Fix sticky unread alerts could unexpectedly occur due to (effectively undocumented) 'auto read' functionality in XF2.2
  • Fix confusion over view_date vs read_date not being correctly used in the expected places
  • Fix alerts pop-up not respecting "Days to retain viewed alerts in popup" option in all cases
  • Fix 'mark read' functionality could result in inconsistent view/read date for older alerts near the expiry...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Ensure xf_user_alert.summerize_id column has the same column size as xf_user_alert.alert_id. If alert_id has been to a bigint, this may be an expensive operation;

SQL:

alter table xf_user_alert modify column summerize_id bigint unsigned default null;

@Xon is this something the addon does automatically, or do we need to do this when upgrading?

Not sure if this is working as designed or a bug, but

are still being shown in user preferences even if alert summarization is turned off in ACP.

IMHO this doesn't make much sense and confuses users, I therefore think it would be better to not show those options if summarization is turned off.
I missed fixing this in the last major update, I'll do it for the next update which should be out fairly quickly.

@Xon is this something the addon does automatically, or do we need to do this when upgrading?
That SQL query is done if the xf_user_alert.alert_id column type has been update. The update notes where quite old and really needed a review pass which was skipped before releasing the update. That line was more for very large forums with very large number of alerts.

Top Bottom