Lack of interest AJAX Mark Forum As Read (Click/Double Forum Marker)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Threads are marked read once they're opened. And why mark them read when you haven't opened/read them?
Then I guess the Mark Forum Read option should be removed? :p

There are some threads in a forum I really don't care about. Take here for example: I don't care about the Rugby, Ladies Lounge, or the First Flight thread. There's quite a few threads I just don't care about reading, and as it stand right now I have to open those threads just to mark them read so they don't show up in the What's New list the next time I run it (and I do so quite a bit each day).

It'd be nice to just mark those threads individually as read and be done with it than to open it just to close it again just so they don't appear.

I agree, that would be really handy - much handier than having to click on them and then on 'what's new' again to get them out of the way.

Do you have some screengrabs of this ?
Especially the inline moderation system with the "Read" button ?
Should the button say "Skip" ?

In my most important forums I want to read almost every post, but some AJAX "Read / Skip" button, especially on the "New Threads" list would be great, as suggested here.

Sorry mate - I missed this until now :)

Here you go. The member one you can see I've marked the top thread read by double-clicking on the thread icon (the envelope). It just shows as read - there's no special button or anything. For the admins/mods, it's part of the inline moderation as I said, so you select the thread as usual with the checkbox, then choose Mark Thread As Read from the Moderation dropdown. Again, nothing added (no buttons etc) to the design except another choice in the existing dropdown.

Attachments

• member_view.gif
    member_view.gif
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
  • admin_view.gif
    admin_view.gif
    67.5 KB · Views: 14
The admin view is too slow.
Double clicking the thread icon would be OK for me. I'd prefer just a single click !!!
It would be helpful if you hovered over the thread icon

The problem is .... double clicking the thread icon in xenforo is actually a link to their member card popup. So this isn't an option. :(

Here's another attempt with screenshots .. for a discrete Mark Thread Read !
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...hats-new-search-results-page.3161/#post-73155

xenforo-inline-ajax-skip-options-for-new-posts-jpg.3256

Hello,

This exists in vB for some time and it's pretty useful. I can just mark a forum "read" just by dobule clicking the forum icon in the forum index.

Thanks

Not at all, you demonstrate the primary reason we don't have it - double-click functionality is undiscoverable, and against the general web ui guidelines. In retrospect, I should not have introduced double-click behaviours into [the software I used to develop that you have all used] when I did.

LoL. This was funny :D

+1 to this suggestion. Much faster to mark a forum I don't really care as "read".

+1111111111111

This is much needed! About cost-effecient, how cost-effecient is it to have all users go into a forum, mark it as read and then go back to index just mark a forum as read? That's like.. 2 page loads instead of 0 page loads.

I also agree that double-click is bad. I much rather prefer 1 single click like IPB has it. However, having that click inside the forum-icon or a seperate button underneath RSS-button or wherever doesn't really matter for me.

This feature should not need to have a own button, its enough to make the forum icons click-able in order for users to mark that forum as read.

Generally as it is I have to mark the testing forum as read each time I go into What's New so I can go through threads with actual content (although lately even that is proving difficult with certain users, as even useless threads are showing up in otherwise useful forums).

... and it is getting even more difficult now since Xenforo.com has grown big time in the number of active forums overhere. 'What's New' has become 'What's Unfindable Today?'
wink.png
for me and I strongly believe functionality like this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sort-functionality-for-whats-new.9603/ is needed to make 'What's New' actually usable again.

This probably won't go down well but a small icon below the RSS icon which has a tooltip on hover "Mark this forum read" could be one solution?

Apologies for the rubbish tick icon, graphics aren't my strong point :D

View attachment 1558
This would be awesome. One of my bug bears with XenForo at the moment is that because in general categories can't be viewed as they take you to a homepage you can't mark sections of a forum read in one go. My standard method of reading most forums is mark the bits read I'm not interested in and then click "What's new" so I get a summary.

I see there is an Addon now for this: SK Mark Thread as Read.
- it is not quite as fast as I'd like for single threads. But you can mark a whole bunch at once with it.
- I guess I wanted to Read and Decide right then an there.
- I also think I'd like a "24 hour ignore" option for active threads I am not interested in.

I see there is an Addon now for this: SK Mark Thread as Read.
- it is not quite as fast as I'd like for single threads. But you can mark a whole bunch at once with it.
- I guess I wanted to Read and Decide right then an there.
- I also think I'd like a "24 hour ignore" option for active threads I am not interested in.

Let's not forget this sweet addon :)

Does anyone like this hover over the Blue circle method of marking a thread read ?
ajax.skip.thread.from.whats.new.list.webp

Top Bottom