Lack of interest AJAX Mark Forum As Read (Click/Double Forum Marker)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This probably won't go down well but a small icon below the RSS icon which has a tooltip on hover "Mark this forum read" could be one solution?

Apologies for the rubbish tick icon, graphics aren't my strong point :D
Even something like this would suffice, just an easy way to mark a single forum as read from the main index.

Actually, I think I'll go apply this idea to my own forum.

Not liked, two reasons:

- Most will never discover this, so why introduce sneaky features that only add clutter to the code and only a very small percentage will ever use? Cost-benefit ratio is bad.
- Why mark a forum read anyway? You read threads, not forums, and threads get marked read automatically. So what's the point?

I use mark forum read all the time on my forum.
I would expect it to be standard code as it is on most (all?) other forum solutions.

I'm happy with the standard link though, that suits me fine.

Not at all, you demonstrate the primary reason we don't have it - double-click functionality is undiscoverable, and against the general web ui guidelines. In retrospect, I should not have introduced double-click behaviours into [the software I used to develop that you have all used] when I did.

You could introduce a single click.

Not liked, two reasons:

- Most will never discover this, so why introduce sneaky features that only add clutter to the code and only a very small percentage will ever use? Cost-benefit ratio is bad.
- Why mark a forum read anyway? You read threads, not forums, and threads get marked read automatically. So what's the point?
1. Many people mark forums as read, especially if they do nothing for them. For example, I ignore Test, Bug Reports, Resources, as I don't need to see them, and having them clutter my new posts means I have to spend extra time skipping them.
2. See #1. 

1. Many people mark forums as read, especially if they do nothing for them. For example, I ignore Test, Bug Reports, Resources, as I don't need to see them, and having them clutter my new posts means I have to spend extra time skipping them.
2. See #1.
1. My first point wasn't about that, it was about knowing about the double click functionality, which even Kier thinks it shouldn't be added.
2. If they really do not care about those forums, then why not add a 'exclude forums from What's New' functionality in the UCP. Seems much more effective to me.

1. My first point wasn't about that, it was about knowing about the double click functionality, which even Kier thinks it shouldn't be added.
2. If they really do not care about those forums, then why not add a 'exclude forums from What's New' functionality in the UCP. Seems much more effective to me.
1. I don't agree with double clicking either, but if there were a way to ignore from the the forum listing, I'd probably use it (Even if its an icon next to RSS to click).
2. Ignore/Filter system I suggested has that suggested as a feature. ;)

You could introduce a single click.
Gah, no. I didn't like that in IPB when I'd accidentally click a forum icon and the whole forum was marked read.

Perhaps hovering over the forum icon can switch it to the option to mark it read? However if the latter feature were added then it would be a great thing to have, providing that the administrator actually marks that forum as excluded on that page (unless it were user option to do so).

Generally as it is I have to mark the testing forum as read each time I go into What's New so I can go through threads with actual content (although lately even that is proving difficult with certain users, as even useless threads are showing up in otherwise useful forums).

I like the idea of either another icon or the hover menu over the forum icon. Either way, they'd be more noticeable than double clicking. I know that feature exists and yet, I never use it because it's not natural to double click anything on the web.

That being said, I'd also like to see the above mentioned "ignore" features put into place as well, I've suggested that myself and use a mod on my current forums for it.

How about you click the forum marker once and then it asks you if you really want to mark that forum as read or not, that way no accidentally marking a forum as read and no extra icons cluttering up the index page.

one of my members coded a vb mod that let's members double click on a thread icon to mark an individual thread read, and for admins and mods it's part of the inline moderation system - which I actually like better. Very useful on forums with lots of active topics :)

Do you have some screengrabs of this ?
Especially the inline moderation system with the "Read" button ?
Should the button say "Skip" ?

In my most important forums I want to read almost every post, but some AJAX "Read / Skip" button, especially on the "New Threads" list would be great, as suggested here.

Top Bottom