Resource icon

Aggregating Forums [Paid] 2.7.4

No permission to buy ($30.00)

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

Aggregating Forums - Allows viewing threads from sub-forums in the parent forum.

Allows viewing threads from sub-forums in the parent forum.

Admin's Opt-in a forum (by default or make it available), and users can then opt-out depending on if they have the permission.

New Thread in the parent forum prompts the user to post in a child forum (if they are allowed) even if posting in the parent forum isn't permitted.

Features
  • Display threads from child forums in parent forum
  • User configuration, with admin defaults
  • New Thread button offers to post in...

Read more about this resource...

I found the "aggregating forums" link under ACP> Forums, and the permissions setting within user group permissions.

Can this allow aggregating threads below a CATEGORY, not just a FORUM?

For instance, I have a "Classifieds" category, with multiple forum sections below...the thread summary only appears if the "top level" is a forum.

SO glad you've added this, it's been a "must have" for my 1.5 users, and they would have missed it in 2.1

Can this allow aggregating threads below a CATEGORY, not just a FORUM?
This add-on can only aggregate forums into other forums (and should work with the setup; forum - category - forum). You can just disable posting new threads in the parent forum to emulate a category.

hmm....oddly, this is domainname.com/categories/classifieds.4/ - the number "4" indicating it has been that number for more than 15 years. Starting over with number "365" doesn't seem like a good long-term SEO solution.

Solution: Perform this on my existing 1.5 database BEFORE the upgrade to XF2.1

Last edited:
With some SQL, you can rewrite a category into a forum.

But you'll need to setup a redirect so domainname.com/categories/classifieds.4/ => domainname.com/forums/classifieds.4/

SQL:
insert into xf_forum (node_id) values (4);

update xf_node
set node_type_id = 'Forum'
where node_id = 4;

delete from xf_category
where node_id = 4;

Once that is done;
  • Go to the forum list, Edit the newly converted Forum (fiddle with any setting) then "save".
  • Edit permissions for the new forum, and "revoke" the post new threads permission.
Then under Tools => Cache rebuild, run "Rebuild forums"

@Xon, the add-on is great. But I noticed that it ignores sticky threads.
If parent forum or any child forum has sticky posts they are not shown as sticky in agreagate forum. It would be really greate to have an option to control - stick threads in agregate forum or not.

Seems to be adding a load of extra queries on 2.1 aggregating 4 children to 1 parent?

24 queries have risen to 52?
You have some add-on conflict then, as stock queries when looking at a forum are a fraction of that. On a stock copy of XenForo;
  • 9 queries when forum aggregation is enabled, with Redis cache disabled
  • 9 queries when forum aggregation is disabled, with Redis cache disabled
  • 8 queries when forum aggregation is enabled, with Redis cache enabled
  • 8 queries when forum aggregation is disabled, with Redis cache enabled
Consider opening a ticket on my site, and I can troubleshoot why it goes from 24 => 52 but lowering it closer to stock will likely be a paid service.

You have some add-on conflict then, as stock queries when looking at a forum are a fraction of that. On a stock copy of XenForo;
  • 9 queries when forum aggregation is enabled, with Redis cache disabled
  • 9 queries when forum aggregation is disabled, with Redis cache disabled
  • 8 queries when forum aggregation is enabled, with Redis cache enabled
  • 8 queries when forum aggregation is disabled, with Redis cache enabled
Consider opening a ticket on my site, and I can troubleshoot why it goes from 24 => 52 but lowering it closer to stock will likely be a paid service.
You're 100% correct.. Disabled all other add-ons and 12 queries whether aggregation is enabled or disabled.

Not too worried about reducing it near stock level as my site is heavily customised.. I'll raise a ticket to discuss further, thanks.

@Xon

I'm probably missing a setting somewhere, but this might be a bug. In aggregated forums there's a link to the name of the forum which the thread is in, under the title just to the right of the date. I'm seeing these links in all forums, regardless of whether aggregation is setup for that forum or not.

@Joe Link currently aggregated forums only adds that link IF the the thread is from another forum.

To change this, edit the thread_list_macros template and add; <xf:set var="$forceShowForum" value="{{true}}" /> Just before <xf:css src="structured_list.less" />

@Joe Link currently aggregated forums only adds that link IF the the thread is from another forum.

To change this, edit the thread_list_macros template and add; <xf:set var="$forceShowForum" value="{{true}}" /> Just before <xf:css src="structured_list.less" />

Great, thank you! Is there a reason default behavior changed between 1.5 and 2.1?

@Xon I think we might be a little mixed up.

In the XF 1.5 version the link was added if it was in a subforum of the forum you were viewing.

If you entered that subforum the link was not displayed.

What I'm seeing in this version (before adding the code you mentioned) is that link in every forum for every thread, even when aggregation is turned off for that forum and/or there are no subforums.

The code you mentioned above doesn't seem to change anything. If I change that to false, none of the links show up.

Here's another example, with the link showing for the category I'm viewing.

Top Bottom