Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
Interesting. Should be great for newer folks who have trouble with putting the files in the wrong directories. Truly a great idea! :)

Oh, I understand Chris. But, it's especially wonderful for those folks who are newer to file structure/directories and often have questions related to that. :)

Always thought that xF should have this sort of method of upgrading/installing add-ons similar to how Wordpress does it.

Yeah I suggested it to KAM a while ago.

I will also invite them to optimise the code and design and include it in the core. I'm sure they could write it themselves a million times better, but the invitation is there :)

Like the idea. I'm sure developers would jump on this as they have been with TMS!

Do you plan on providing an Uninstall as well? Would be nice to be able to uninstall and remove the add-on contents from the server ;)

Burning board is doing this for more than 4 years, so I always have been wondering why with other scripts people always have to upload files via FTP rather than just upload a zip/tar.gz package and let an installer do the rest. This is an incredible add-on and I highly suggest such auto-installer for XenForo 2.0.

Burning board is doing this for more than 4 years, so I always have been wondering why with other scripts people always have to upload files via FTP rather than just upload a zip/tar.gz package and let an installer do the rest. This is an incredible add-on and I highly suggest such auto-installer for XenForo 2.0.

SMF has it also.

Can you add an 'delete installed files from directory' uninstaller function to this too?

Can you do an automatic style installer and upgrader too?

Super stuff, gonna try it out now :).

One question, does/can it check that an addon adheres to the file structure?
You might notice this is currently version 0.1. I normally begin my add-ons at 1.0.

The reason for the much lower version number is because I'd technically still class this as a beta. There is some basic error checking - but it's not fantastic. One error you might see is "Cannot find upload folder". This would suggest that the structure either doesn't have an upload folder or the upload folder is in another subdirectory.

There may even be the possibility of really ugly PHP errors. All of this will improve over time with feedback from you fine people :)

Let me know how you get on with it.

Can you add an 'delete installed files from directory' uninstaller function to this too?

Can you do an automatic style installer and upgrader too?
The "delete installed files" issue is a bit contentious. I did some testing with this and unfortunately you tend to get permissions errors - at least I did in Windows, my test box. Maybe it would work on Linux. Just not tested it yet.

It would certainly be useful.

So my upcoming features list will include Styles and Uninstaller.

You might notice this is currently version 0.1. I normally begin my add-ons at 1.0.

The reason for the much lower version number is because I'd technically still class this as a beta. There is some basic error checking - but it's not fantastic. One error you might see is "Cannot find upload folder". This would suggest that the structure either doesn't have an upload folder or the upload folder is in another subdirectory.

There may even be the possibility of really ugly PHP errors. All of this will improve over time with feedback from you fine people :)

Let me know how you get on with it.

I did come across the error you mentioned, it was due to the addon developer having the upload folder in caps lol, just changed it to lower case in the zip and everything worked just fine :).

Great addon, takes me back to the days when we just started and used SMF ...*sniff, starting to get all teary-eyed now, gotta go ...

One suggestion, where it says Install, or Upgrade, from uploaded file might want to mention it has to be a zip or rar file.

The "delete installed files" issue is a bit contentious. I did some testing with this and unfortunately you tend to get permissions errors - at least I did in Windows, my test box. Maybe it would work on Linux. Just not tested it yet.

It would certainly be useful.

So my upcoming features list will include Styles and Uninstaller.
YAAAAY so this addon would already work on a local installation right? stupid question i know.

This add-on works fine and was developed on a local WAMP installation.

I should add, by the way, it has been tested on about 10 other live installs/production servers since.

Top Bottom