Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
Wow, looking at this thread and surprised at all the issues. I've been using this new update rather hard core lately, to install virtually all my addons. Rather nice not having to locally download them any more. Also a huge plus for the upgrade feature, simplifies things immensely.

Although, with that said. I do seem to have one issue that I could find listed previously in the thread after the update. That would be if an addon's version includes a letter at the end (presumably anywhere in the version.) Meaning if say I install version 1.0.1 of an addon, and the author updates it to 1.0.1b. I'm able to update it with this addon, although the system doesn't seem to register that the upgraded addon is now at version 1.0.1b. Meaning I can re-check the addon for upgrades, or wait for it to do it on it's own...and it will see the addon as still needing an upgrade. Not really a big deal though, as the system does appear to upgrade the addon.

Chris, do you think you could support the usage of letters on the versions? Addons such as http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-arcade.1526/ and http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenmedio-media.97/ won't show they are fully updated due to the fact they both have a letter.
It's not the letter...

I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain the same thing.

The version number provided by the developer in the Resource Manager is different to the one provided in the XML file of the add-on.

There's only two ways to fix this:

1) Ignore the update
2) Ask the developer to ensure the version numbers are correct (at the end of the day, it makes their life easier to support if you can tell them what version you have)

Please, vote "yes" or "no" in the thread.

Now addons are isolated and Resource Manager also is not a high-grade repository of addons. I started to write the autoinstaller, but did not begin to continue its development for the reason that developers should standardise packages of addons and their interrelation. Otherwise autoinstaller will work at times incorrectly that for a working forum can be fatal.

There can be developers will pay attention to this problem and still will accept uniform standards, and also will finish the Resource Manager in XenForo versions 1.2

My add-on installer does not require a standard structure.

Should there be one? Yes. But only for the simple fact that it makes it easier for someone who may not be able to or have access to the addon installer.

There are no fatal consequences with my add-on if the structure isn't normal.

Xen Medio, XF Arcade appears to be outdated, even if i'm using the latest version.
I am not going to repeat again what is causing this. Please read almost every single post since I released the update. You will see I've explained this numerous times.

That being said, seeing as the concept doesn't seem as simple to grasp as it actually is, I will look at improvements in the future.

My add-on installer does not require a standard structure.

Should there be one? Yes. But only for the simple fact that it makes it easier for someone who may not be able to or have access to the addon installer.

There are no fatal consequences with my add-on if the structure isn't normal.
Hm. But in this post you wrote rules for package. In this post you can't update incorrect package (version in xml != version on Resource Manager). Not support deinstall (package not include info of installed folders and files). Not support install and remove localisations... And much more.

If install files are wrong and copy original critical files, the user can receive the disabled administrative panel, for example. Thus there is no possibility to roll away change back and to restore work. And after all for this purpose it is enough to know only, what files will be written down, what have been written down, whether there were changes. Certainly, such deep study of procedure of installation complicates everything, but will allow to provide safe installation and removal of addons, styles, localisations.

Therefore standards are important. They create system, instead of crutches which you now offer users and whom I have refused in due time.

Please don't comment on my add on when you don't understand it.

It has recently been updated to support add ons with any directory structure.

Any add on can be upgraded with this add on. But there is an update checker that checks the version number of the installed addon compared to the resource manager. This is purely to check if updates are available. It doesn't affect the ability to perform updates.

Product installation remains completely manual just like it does without the add on installed.

The only way essential files are overwritten is if the add on developer intends that to happen. But the same is true whether you install an addon traditionally or with this addon.

Ok.

Let and further the disorder of addons proceeds. I have nothing against you and your addon. Your addon excellently supplements absent functionality, though and not completely. :)
Only wanted to pay attention to a problem with absence of a repository of addons so that all could express the consent or disagreement with it.

Please don't comment on my add on when you don't understand it.

It has recently been updated to support add ons with any directory structure.

Any add on can be upgraded with this add on. But there is an update checker that checks the version number of the installed addon compared to the resource manager. This is purely to check if updates are available. It doesn't affect the ability to perform updates.

Product installation remains completely manual just like it does without the add on installed.

The only way essential files are overwritten is if the add on developer intends that to happen. But the same is true whether you install an addon traditionally or with this addon.

I'd like to apologize for my bug report earlier. I apparently didn't read enough of the previous posts. So the issues isn't an issue with this addon, but with the way other developers package and update their addons here on XenForo. This is good to know, and probably easier to fix for all the other developers. It's now up to all the consumers to notify the other developers if their addon has issues such as this, and I'm sure most 3rd party developers would be more than happy to fix their packages as in the end it should lead to less support needing to be offered for the install process.

One last time, amazing addon! I've already used it so many times, it's easily saved me an hour here and there. This addon is well worth donating for, and I'll happily send some money your way for making such a great addon once I'm done moving and settled in.

I'd like to apologize for my bug report early. I apparently didn't read enough of the previous posts. So the issues isn't an issue with this addon, but with the way other developers package and update their addons here on XenForo. This is good to know, and probably easier to fix for all the other developers. It's now up to all the consumers to notify the other developers if their addon has issues such as this, and I'm sure most 3rd party developers would be more than happy to fix their packages as in the end it should lead to less support needing to be offered for the install process.

One last time, amazing addon! I've already used it so many times, it's easily saved me an hour here and there. This addon is well worth donating for, and I'll happily send some money your way for making such a great addon once I'm done moving and settled in.
I'm glad someone finally understands that it isn't a bug... I was beginning to think I was wrong! :cautious:

Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't the case when I looked at my Friend Inviter addon and User Album addon. Both of them have odd version numbers but are working fine when checking updates. Again, awesome addon. This is a feature that is so fluid and awesome, it should seriously be baked into a newer version of XenForo.

I get server error

This filter needs the zip extension

1. Zend_Filter_Compress_Zip->__construct() in Zend/Filter/Compress.php at line 107
  2. Zend_Filter_Compress->getAdapter() in Zend/Filter/Decompress.php at line 47
  3. Zend_Filter_Decompress->filter() in AddOnInstaller/Model/AddOn.php at line 29
  4. AddOnInstaller_Model_AddOn->extractZip() in AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 57
  5. AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  6. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  7. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/folder/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Top Bottom