Add a version string file into download zip

HWS

I just had problems to find the version of XenForo within the downloaded folder (yes, I know, I can always look into the installer php file).

Just want to suggest to add a "version.txt" file into the package or even add the version string into the "INSTALL-UPGRADE.txt" file to make it easier for people like me, who do not install immediately after the download.

Thanks!

The version is usually included on the name of the zip file:

nMqGZoo.png

Even if you extract it it will still be there.

I am at an Apple using Safari. The zip file will be extended and deleted automatically after the download and the resulting "xenforo" folder does not show any version number.

I now, I may be able to change that behavior and keep the zip file itself, however having a version string available easily in the download folder would be a real benefit.

I use an Apple, but I hate Safari so I only use Chrome...

If you download a file called:

xenforo_1.2.1-licensestring.zip

Are you saying Safari takes it upon itself to automatically extract that into a directory simply called xenforo? How? If anything, I would expect it to extract it to a directory called xenforo_1.2.1-licensestring.

I don't do anything automatically with Chrome and ZIP files but when I click a downloaded ZIP file, it does automatically extract it, but into a directory of the same name as the zip file.

So, then I can just search finder for xenforo_1.2.1 and I find what I'm looking for.

Odd behaviour you have configured there...

Are you saying Safari takes it upon itself to automatically extract that into a directory simply called xenforo? How? If anything, I would expect it to extract it to a directory called xenforo_1.2.1-licensestring.

That is not the case. It is extracted into a directory called "xenforo", because that is the name of the folder within the zip. The zip itself is automatically deleted.

But beside of all that, I would see it beneficial to have a place where the xenforo version can be read easily without having to open a browser.

Maybe a little bit off topic, but you can tell Safari not to open such files like ZIP and DMG. Press CMD+, and disable opening "safe" files.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-28 um 13.27.25.webp
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-28 um 13.27.25.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 4
There is no "xenforo" directory in the XenForo download.

upload_2013-8-28_12-24-46.webp

Same in the full package.

Like I say, you have some weird configuration.

Your proposed solution is only beneficial if your computer doesn't do what it is supposed to by default :p

No it's not a weird configuration, it's how stupid Safari actually is.

Safari extracts the contents of the zip file into a folder that is called after the name of the zip file. However, Safari assumes that the file name ends at the first point. So the folder is always "xenforo-1" (because the file name is "xenforo-1.2.1-licensestring.zip").

Like I say, you have some weird configuration.

I use the default configuration.

Again, like I said, it would help in several situations if one can see the xenforo version number easily when working at the server (where it is installed) or the directory at the local computer where it has been extracted to.

The version is always in library/XenForo/Application.php at the top - you should be able to view it in any text editor if you don't have the zip around.

Reactions: HWS
The version is always in library/XenForo/Application.php at the top - you should be able to view it in any text editor if you don't have the zip around.

Thank you.
I tried /index.php without luck first. ;-)

Top Bottom