Implemented ACP - better method of node reordering: drag & drop, move up/down, etc.

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

I kinda miss it and run into it every so often, the ability to just pick up a node element and drag it under another parent. Or order the language packs, or order the styles.
There are a few situations where I kinda expect it to be drag/drop but the link is just a click to old-school edit a form. Progressive enhancement where possible due to modern browser, would be quite interesting and user friendly to have - additionally.

Upvote 84
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
+1

I'm going top have to do all the sorting in my VB - BEFORE I import because it's too complicated to do it in XF.
Bit of an XF letdown and that's the only time I've ever said that. There are things I'd like and then there are things that are just NECESSARY.

I think I shall cast a necromancy spell and revive this thread because my god . . .It is just horrid to have to arrange forums on my site there are just too many even after cleaning/policies on what merits a forum and they are all really needed and used.

We are a roleplaying community and each game has its own forum with subforums thats just too much!

AS a bare minimum start can someone give us a code snippet that would make the node list display the sort order number beside each node?
I have to open several just to see that BEFORE I do any sorting.

AS a bare minimum start can someone give us a code snippet that would make the node list display the sort order number beside each node?
I have to open several just to see that BEFORE I do any sorting.
It would be a start. I hate opening many nodes at once just to see which one is which.

Any updates on this? Been waiting to deploy XenForo into production until this and a few other things were released. Appreciate any update that's available.

Just adding my interest to this suggestion too, this would be a great feature (combined with sort forum list by name instead of display order)

This needs to become a thing. I will give up one pretty princess from the dungeon for this and a free dragon ride.

Warning I am not responsible if the dragon decides to eat you.

I agree. I can't believe something like this hasn't already been implemented, as it seems like it's a must on large or semi large boards. Hopefully we see something like this very soon...

It would be a start. I hate opening many nodes at once just to see which one is which.

In the admin template "node_list"

Find:
HTML:
<xen:listitem
                    id="{$node.node_id}"
                    label="{$node.title}"
                    snippet="{$node.node_type}"
                    href="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/edit', $node}"
                    class="_depth{$node.depth}"
                    delete="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/delete', $node}">
                    <xen:html>
                        <xen:if is="{$nodeCount} < 500">
                            <xen:popup title="{xen:phrase create_new_elipses}">
                                <xen:link href="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/add', '', 'parent_node_id={$node.parent_node_id}'}">{xen:phrase sibling_node}</xen:link>
                                <xen:link href="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/add', '', 'parent_node_id={$node.node_id}'}">{xen:phrase child_node}</xen:link>
                            </xen:popup>
                        </xen:if>
Add in:

HTML:
                        <span style="float: left;padding-top: 5px;color: #C8C8C8;">{$node.display_order}</span>

After:

HTML:
                    id="{$node.node_id}"
                    label="{$node.title}"
So it looks like:
HTML:
                    id="{$node.node_id}"
                    label="{$node.title}"
                    <span style="float: left;padding-top: 5px;color: #C8C8C8;">{$node.display_order}</span>
                    <xen:if is="{$nodeCount} < 500">
                            <xen:popup title="{xen:phrase create_new_elipses}">
                                <xen:link href="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/add', '', 'parent_node_id={$node.parent_node_id}'}">{xen:phrase sibling_node}</xen:link>
                                <xen:link href="{xen:adminlink 'nodes/add', '', 'parent_node_id={$node.node_id}'}">{xen:phrase child_node}</xen:link>
                            </xen:popup>
                        </xen:if>

I think currently the way you have to order the nodes display order is a bit tedious and could be improved upon. Maybe by adding in AJAX form at the nodes display with small boxes and the number inside which is automatically saved or something along those lines?

It's just a bit of a hassle when adding a new node and wanting it first and having to re order the rest, unless I have missed a feature, I think it's the only way to do it.

Also took my time to search a bit and didn't find this suggestion anywhere.

I think currently the way you have to order the nodes display order is a bit tedious and could be improved upon. Maybe by adding in AJAX form at the nodes display with small boxes and the number inside which is automatically saved or something along those lines?

It's just a bit of a hassle when adding a new node and wanting it first and having to re order the rest, unless I have missed a feature, I think it's the only way to do it.

Also took my time to search a bit and didn't find this suggestion anywhere.
I agree with you, but it doesn't even need to be AJAXy.

I think a very elegant way of handling display order is the same way that the Options page handles it:

jYJE684.png

Nice and simple... But yeah, overall, great suggestion.

I'd like to request a visual tool to simplify the node tree arrangement, either drag and drop or at least a single page to accomplish this instead of having to go into each category or forum to set.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
This would be super freaking useful. Even if there were just "Move Up" / "Move Down" buttons it would be a dramatic improvement.

I'd like to request a visual tool to simplify the node tree arrangement, either drag and drop or at least a single page to accomplish this instead of having to go into each category or forum to set.
This feature EXTREMELY NEEDED!!! Urgently!!! And please, with nodes numbers!

Yes please!:)

A D&D support, which can also be used by addon coders for own features and not only for the NodeTree;) to not need to implement 3rd party jquery addons (which bring just another dependency on the xf jquery version or even conflict with other addons which are implementing their own Drag and Drop feature)

Top Bottom