Implemented ACP - better method of node reordering: drag & drop, move up/down, etc.

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

I kinda miss it and run into it every so often, the ability to just pick up a node element and drag it under another parent. Or order the language packs, or order the styles.
There are a few situations where I kinda expect it to be drag/drop but the link is just a click to old-school edit a form. Progressive enhancement where possible due to modern browser, would be quite interesting and user friendly to have - additionally.

Upvote 84
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed! Try importing almost 2000 boards from another platform, that are in mostly alphabetical order, and then realizing what a pain in the arse it's going to be adding and reordering boards with Xenforo. Drag and drop would be best, but I'd be happy with simply being able to choose before or after or child of, etc. from a drop-down menu, like I did with the last platform I used.

I'm using this for now, which isn't ideal, but it's definitely miles above the default options:

http://extralicense.com/resources/faster-node-order-manager.4/

I would like to add my "heckkkkk yeah" to this proposed feature.

Strangely enough, knowing how xenForo is reinventing the experience of forum admin-ing, I was at a point where I have a lot of nodes going on, and instinctively tried to drag a parent node to reorder it. Major bummer when it didn't work.

Even having the "simple" + or - options would not really cut it for what I have planned. I go through this nightmare all the time on the other platform with my main forum.

Drag and drop capability would be flat out amazing and save tons of time for most.

Yes, I'm in my first convert from VB to XF and even with only 38 forums I'd like to be able to reorder them without having to open each node to change the display number individually.

I couldn't believe that there wasn't another way to do this.

I am adding my 2¢ in for this needing to be an essential necessity (I dare say priority) for managing nodes. I am finally starting work on my first xenForo forum (before I convert my big forum over which will have over 300 nodes alone) and I am already finding it daunting to manage and I'm just 30 nodes in. Without knowing, I instinctively tried to drag and drop nodes to reorder and was bummed to see that didn't work. It will simply kill a ton of time having to jump into a node, remember what number in the display order it needs to be, then setting it, and repeating as needed. It's not practical.

I beg of the XF powers that be (and know many others beyond those posting in this thread) to please make this an essential feature for the next update. On the site I am developing now, when all is said and done, I'll probably have around 400-500 nodes and I can't even imagine dealing with that without drag and drop (using a numbered system like the other software would be better than the way xf currently does it, but still not optimal).

All this said, I am loving xf so far, but I literally dread building out due to the node issue (I have over 10-20 upcoming forums I want to build all using xf, and all with 300+ nodes to manage per site).

Well, one plus side of it...you generally only setup your node list once. And most users won't add much more nodes to a forum, after their forum has been live for some time. However, I do believe a better solution really needs to be implemented. Drag and drop would be nice, although I believe up and down buttons would suffice for now.

If you could move the order of nodes from the node list with either up/down buttons, or drag and drop. It would indeed make things much easier to setup, or re-organize. I'd also imagine something like this could be made as an addon. Which is a good idea for any devs out there, as I'm sure people would pay for easier node organization at this point.

I am finally starting work on my first xenForo forum (before I convert my big forum over which will have over 300 nodes alone) and I am already finding it daunting to manage and I'm just 30 nodes in.
Just a side note, it is a pain to remember the display order, and I struggle with most when it gets over 3 when I need to remember lots of other things as well. I found out to use numbering per category level to be easier. So root nodes are from 0 to how ever many root nodes you have, and for children you start over at 0. Not perfect, but at least a bit more manageable than 0 - 500...

I would love to see a entry field for display order at the node tree display in the ACP though, or in anything using display order really...

Yes, the proposed solution is different but the suggestion is essentially the same, which is a better/easier method of reordering nodes.

If @Lucas agrees then I will merge the threads as only one method will be implemented so it makes sense to have all discussion in the same place, making it easier for the dev's to track the responses.

Top Bottom