[8WR] XenPorta (Portal)

[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) 1.6.0

No permission to download
When i click on a category it just takes me to a blank portal page (ie. i click "news" and it takes me to a portal page but the content area is just empty) is that suposed to happen?

Hello
Thank you for this mod! Can anyone tell me one my facebook block is displaying member's facebook avatars twice? I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. :D

Thanks

Gabby

When i click on a category it just takes me to a blank portal page (ie. i click "news" and it takes me to a portal page but the content area is just empty) is that suposed to happen?
you have to create a layout for this category

choose "articles" for the type, id : type the exact url for your category (ex : for a category called Game 1, the id is "game-1")

Raiton,
sorry to ask this question but how do you create a layout? The only option I see to install a new one.

We've been seeing some performance issues which seemed related to the Post Ratings addon but looking into it more it seems that XenPorta's changing the key for one of the queries which is causing the issue.

With XenPorta disabled the query looks like this and uses thread_id_position:
Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 21.25.46.webp

When XenPorta is enabled, the query changes to:

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 21.25.27.webp

Here thread_id_post_date is used as the key instead.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an incompatibility issue but it's causing quite severe performance issues for us.

Any chance you could comment Jaxel?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an incompatibility issue but it's causing quite severe performance issues for us.

Any chance you could comment Jaxel?
This is actually be design... the first-post index is actually important for article threads. I didn't think it would be that much of an impact on performance, so I didn't put any conditionals on it. I have just created a new version which I've attached to this post which adds THREE queries to threads in order to determine if it's an article before it requires the first-post index. Please tell me if this improves your performance issues.

If in fact the three additional queries is better on performance, rather than simply indexing the first-post on every thread, I will include it in the next version.

Attachments

It's still changing the key for the query to thread_id_post_date though. Is that still necessary as it seems to cause issues with the Post Ratings addon (but it could be our indexes need fixing)?

It's still changing the key for the query to thread_id_post_date though. Is that still necessary as it seems to cause issues with the Post Ratings addon (but it could be our indexes need fixing)?
The new Post.php will only change keys if a thread is an article thread... If it is an article, it NEEDS the first post ID, its just simple. It needs to put the first post at the top of each page.

If its too many resources. Then I recommend disabling the article system.

Hi, I want to try this out but I first I want to make sure that this can do what I hope it can do.

URL structure to my forum is this: domain.com/forum/
URL structure to the portal is this: domain.com

Now I want to post news in different categories that show up in the frontpage.

Categorie #1: Food
Categorie #2: Medicine

People should be able to filter between "Food" news and "Medicine" news this way:

#Food: domain.com/food
#Medicine: domain.com/medicine

Just like in wordpress. Then, when somebody clicks on the Continue Reading Link he/she should be forwarded to a thread in the forum with the article. All articles are gonna be stored in one forum, for instance "news articles":

domain.com/forums/news-articles.1/

XenPorta should be able to identify threads on their prefix. Meaning if I write an article with the prefix "Food", this article should be posted in the "Food" categorie of the portal.

I hope I have explained myself sufficient.

Here's are another 2 XenPorta queries that are usually very fast but become very disproportionately slow when our forum gets busy

Screen Shot 2012-05-13 at 17.04.29.webp

Our total query time was around 1 second and these 2 queries made up most of it. Normally they take each take 0.00x seconds and the total query time is 0.2 seconds.

Hopefully this is useful for Jaxel to optimise things.

Here's are another 2 XenPorta queries that are usually very fast but become very disproportionately slow when our forum gets busy

View attachment 29459

Our total query time was around 1 second and these 2 queries made up most of it. Normally they take each take 0.00x seconds and the total query time is 0.2 seconds.

Hopefully this is useful for Jaxel to optimise things.
This is by design. The portal is essentially running a search query to determine what should be on the portal and what isn't. This is needed in order to use threads as articles, instead of articles being their own content type. However, the caching system was put in place precisely to reduce the amount of server load. If this is increasing your server load, it sounds like you disabled caching for your RecentNews block.

The default cachetime for the RecentNews block is 1 hour.

RecentNews cache time is set for 1 hour.

Also just to be clear, I don't think those queries are necessarily causing the higher server load. It's just when we are under a medium/high load that those queries seem to become very inefficient.

If you set the recent news cache time to 1 hour, does that mean that new news only get posted after the 1 hour cache time has expired?

Top Bottom