8thos Bar (Facebook-Like Floating Menu with Avatar and Search Box)

8thos Bar 5.0

No permission to download
One suggestion, but this is not a real problem.
When you get alerts, it always sends you to the line where the text is. The problem with the floating bar is that it covers it up completely, and you have to scroll up to see it.

Same with the built in "Top" at the bottom of the screen "#navigation" does not go up to the top correctly. :confused:

In my addon, the back to top link position is #header. I don't know where your getting #navigation from. The only other place you'll find that is the back to top link in your footer and that's a default xenforo link.

I don't see any of your alerts issues either. What browser are you using and what version is it?

Bug report: hardcoded text 'Your Profile' and 'Admin CP'
It's not a bug. I created the addon according to my own personal preference. To change the text, go to Template Modifications and under 8thos Bar, open 8B Menu Links and change the text there in the Replacement box.

Appearances/Styles/Style Property Groups/Color Pallete/ @primaryLightish controls the bottom border color of the 8thos Bar.

I don't see any of your alerts issues either. What browser are you using and what version is it?
I have the latest version of Google Chrome.

I mean when I click on a alert it goes where it should be, but it would be nice if you could find a way to offset it by the size of the bar. So you don't have to scroll up one line.
Just a thought :P

I don't know what your talking about, mostly because I don't use Flexile. I only installed it to fix that one issue. I'm done messing with the 8thos Bar for now.

I think 8thos has done an outstanding job on this template edit. :cool:

I've tested this with and without Flexile using

Firefox
Waterfox
Google Chrome
Apple Safari
Opera Browser

Everything seems to be working and the code seems flawless (I'm using the current 4.5). I also have over 200 modifications, tweaks, edits, and a few skins to go along with it.

Again, it's working wonderfully. Which is very surprising considering how many tweaks I have and what is required for this template to work.

So an outstanding and well done job to 8thos for producing and designing this modification. (y)

The only skin I had issues with was
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/kdark-xenfacil-style.780/

But that is a very highly customized skin (lots of customization) and I would never expect any developer to go out of their way to resolve those needs.

I think 8thos has done an outstanding job on this template edit. :cool:

I've tested this with and without Flexile using

Firefox
Waterfox
Google Chrome
Apple Safari
Opera Browser

Everything seems to be working and the code seems flawless (I'm using the current 4.5). I also have over 200 modifications, tweaks, edits, and a few skins to go along with it.

Again, it's working wonderfully. Which is very surprising considering how many tweaks I have and what is required for this template to work.

So an outstanding and well done job to 8thos for producing and designing this modification. (y)

The only skin I had issues with was
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/kdark-xenfacil-style.780/

But that is a very highly customized skin (lots of customization) and I would never expect any developer to go out of their way to resolve those needs.
Thanks. Never heard of Waterfox. Interesting. I like that you referred to this addon as a Template edit because that's all it is. If I had posted it in Template Modifications there would probably be even more complaints than there are now. It's a good thing this is my last resource for awhile or I'd still be working on it. I have to focus on real life stuff at the moment so I'm glad it at least works for some people.

Sorry I wasn't being clear. I meant that it covers the line, like this here:
DddV

That's where it put me for a quote alert, and covers the first line.

Don't bother fixing it if you're busy, I just thought I should point it out to you. (y)

Thanks. Never heard of Waterfox. Interesting. I like that you referred to this addon as a Template edit because that's all it is. If I had posted it in Template Modifications there would probably be even more complaints than there are now. It's a good thing this is my last resource for awhile or I'd still be working on it. I have to focus on real life stuff at the moment so I'm glad it at least works for some people.
I sometimes see what people say to developers when things do not go so well for them (no one here in particular) and I sometimes want to jump up mad at them.

I'm very thankful for the hard work people freely place in releasing modifications or templates such as this one. And yes, this is only a template release, which means the majority of all possible complaints will most likely come from conflicting template releases or edits..... And it's not your job or responsibility to go tracking down and fixing every possible outcome.

A good developers, such as yourself will make a "best effort". Which I feel you've done wonderfully.

FYI:

Waterfox is an off branch of Firefox, but is fully 64 bit.

Faster, more stable, and less resource heavy. Which most of the time Firefox Alpha or Beta starts off as, but some how their final releases doesn't end well and I never understood why.

Of course the above is true only for Windows. Linux never seems to have the issues of the windows version. I suspect Mozilla has been trying to track down why that is.

Waterfox however corrects those issues for Windows.

DddV

Don't bother fixing it if you're busy, I just thought I should point it out to you. (y)
That's exactly the problem I was having in my own code with Flexile. It needs to be padded somehow.

DddV

Same issue here

It's a bit tricky calling this an "issue". It isn't really fixable and is exactly the expected behaviour.

As far as the browser is concerned, that bar isn't really there (the code is rendered at the very top of the page) so it won't take the height of the bar into consideration when jumping to a named anchor.

There is literally no way of telling your browser that the bar is there, therefore no way of stopping the bar from covering things.

It's a bit tricky calling this an "issue". It isn't really fixable and is exactly the expected behaviour.

As far as the browser is concerned, that bar isn't really there (the code is rendered at the very top of the page) so it won't take the height of the bar into consideration when jumping to a named anchor.

There is literally no way of telling your browser that the bar is there, therefore no way of stopping the bar from covering things.
That's what I was afraid of. How does a site like The Verge do it then? In this review if you click on one of the anchored links on the left it takes into account the permanent top bar.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/25/3115296/sony-nsz-gs7-with-google-tv-review

Yeah well, you could add this to EXTRA.css:

Code:
.messageList .message
{
padding-top: 40px;
}

It works, but of course it puts quite a lot of spacing between posts. But you'll notice a similar thing on TheVerge. It's mostly padding - but not padding on the bar. That wouldn't work. It's padding on the content, between the sections.

I'm just going to try one more thing which might be a technique that they employ...

Top Bottom