$250 to remove brand removal?? Is this true?

zenzenzen

Before I buy XF, I saw that on top of the $140 licensing fee, it's an additional $250 to remove the copyright brand:

" Branding Removal - $250*
This allows you to remove the visible XenForo copyright notice from all pages."

It seems a bit high, since I'm already dropping $140 upfront

Do you guys remove the this brand/copy logo?
Are there other ways to remove the brand after spending $140? via CSS coding for example?

I find the arguments about the price for removing the XF branding amusing. It is completely optional - you don't have to pay it.

I have 8 XF licenses, 6 of them with branding removed because they are commercial sites and I wanted a clean footer. The other two I don't care about the branding.

The same argument applies to addons - you don't have to use them! If you don't want to pay for branding removal - then just go ahead and have your own addon developed instead. Too expensive? Well then go and pay for branding removal for one of those addons already built - it will be way cheaper than having your own addon developed. Still too expensive? Then don't pay for branding removal and put up with the branding in the footer. Don't like the branding in the footer? Then don't use the addon and make do without.

People have a lot of choices here.
Fully agreed with this. It’s not something anyone has to do.
Usually mine are custom developed. If not, I willingly and gladly pay for branding removal for two reasons;
1, Aesthetics.
2, Developer support / appreciation.
Nothing more to it than that really.
If I find it too steep financially, I will wait to buy the add on or even wait to use it until I have bought the branding free/copyright removal.
Simple really IMHO.

I don't have numbers for that unfortunately, as I haven't gotten around to implementing the ecommerce features of Google Analytics just yet. However, I'd say even if just one of them converts to a sale, that's worth :)

And you wouldn't, not on XenForo :)

Even if you had every single XF2 mod from us installed, this is all you'd see:

View attachment 190176

(XF copyright included for context.)

Fillip
so i choose to disable some adons from other developers because if i would enable them that footer would be nasty lol... what do you think if i have 5 more copyright on the same footer ?

Lol, one time this happened to me many moons ago, it was with Vbulletin however, a few angry members ran off and had a go at their own forum, bought the same software and tried to replicate all of my mods and forum style, as someone mentioned before a few threads above, you can attempt to replicate any forum, including using that particular forum software as your competitor, its the content and the way the forum is run and managed and the communities unique style that defines the end result. You can't copy that.

You can go out and buy a Facebook script, looks and feels like Facebook but good luck in it ever being Facebook. The members who started their own forum lasted about a year and then failed, and just because I could, I then bought their domain name and it now directs you to mine. ;)

www.sphynxforum.com is now www.sphynxlair.com😂
hahahahah your a big bad guy lol ... at the end they helped you get a good domain hahahah really crazy

My business savvy side is still considering removing the brand when I purchase XenForo because I really don’t want my competition to have the same software as me.

My nice guy helpful side is considering keeping it to help XenForo, and also helping my members in my online community find great software for forums if they need it.

My frugal side is still trying to decide between the two.
This is precisely my dilemma.

If someone wants to know the software, he will know. It's not like it's hard to guess, even without the brand.
You don't have to guess. Unless someone changes every CSS template name, class, ID, JavaScript filename, method and function name (which nobody is going to do as this would essentially create an unmaintainable XF fork), XF can be clearly identified by looking and the HTML source.

Many forum owners charge for ads on their forums. XF is a profitable business that sells something(s), so Xenforo should be paying to advertise their software. What about that?

Not the same thing. Those are ad placements, with big attracting images as opposed to a small line on the bottom of your board. The software is priced the way it is with the removal as optional.

The entire thing could've been sold for like $390+ USD or something with the option to disable the brand. But the 140 + 250 pricing model gives us the option to decide that.

If you don't like this and don't agree. Then maybe try something else, like MyBB, where it's entirely free, and if you removal the brand, you just won't get official MyBB support.

Find another option if you disagree with how Xenforo works.

Many forum owners charge for ads on their forums. XF is a profitable business that sells something(s), so Xenforo should be paying to advertise their software. What about that?

Whether Xenforo is a business, profitable, and/or forum owners charge for ads is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is they decide the license terms, and you agreed to them as part of purchasing a license.

They are are paying. If you look at oit from the other way round, if a brand free licence costs $390, they are basically paying you by giving a discount for the branding inclusive licence for $140
He reused my copyrighted joke without asking permission and he gets the laurels? Life is really unfair!
Do xenforo employess need to ask permission as according to their T & C they have the non-exclusive rights to the published content. :)

My business savvy side is still considering removing the brand when I purchase XenForo because I really don’t want my competition to have the same software as me.

My nice guy helpful side is considering keeping it to help XenForo, and also helping my members in my online community find great software for forums if they need it.

My frugal side is still trying to decide between the two.
Hehe... great post (y)

Many a time has a forum split itself in two because of disagreements over the way the forum is ran, and in such a scenario the people setting up a new forum will want to replicate the old one as much as possible.

It's not always two forum owners but it can also be a member that disagrees.
When I complained on namepros that there was too much censorship I was told if I don't like it I should go open my own forum.

So NamePost.com was born and because I liked the software namepros was using I ended up with the same. The fact they had removed the copyright made no difference. On most forums the topic of the software often comes up and I knew exactly what they were using even without the copyright displayed.

Worth noting you can buy it at any time so you can make the decision later if you don’t want to buy it now.
I wonder if there could be a reasonable argument to make this a monthly recurring fee rather than having to plunk down a lot of cash right out of the gate? This would approx $20.83 USD /month. Just a thought. :)

Top Bottom