$250 to remove brand removal?? Is this true?

zenzenzen

Before I buy XF, I saw that on top of the $140 licensing fee, it's an additional $250 to remove the copyright brand:

" Branding Removal - $250*
This allows you to remove the visible XenForo copyright notice from all pages."

It seems a bit high, since I'm already dropping $140 upfront

Do you guys remove the this brand/copy logo?
Are there other ways to remove the brand after spending $140? via CSS coding for example?

so its impossible to remove this footer at the bottom if i don't pay the $250?

Well of course it's possible but it's against the terms of the license. To remove that copyright notice you need to pay $250. That sort of thing is fairly standard. The only reason you'd really want to remove it is if you're a major commercial site and if you are then £250 is peanuts.

Before I buy XF, I saw that on top of the $140 licensing fee, it's an additional $250 to remove the copyright brand:

" Branding Removal - $250*
This allows you to remove the visible XenForo copyright notice from all pages."

It seems a bit high, since I'm already dropping $140 upfront

Do you guys remove the this brand/copy logo?
Are there other ways to remove the brand after spending $140? via CSS coding for example?
I would have never found this software if I hadn't noticed the footer of another forum.

I'm glad it's there. Sort of like pay it forward. Let others see who created the amazing software that our forums implement.

On the other flip of the coin, I was happy to pay for it by doing the right thing for having it removed and at the same time also supporting XF.

No one removes the brand. Unless you are a business and you want to make the site appear to be "yours" sorta.

I see huge companies on the Fortune 500 List who don't brand remove.

Plus using Xenforo is a badge of honor showing you know what you are doing.
Brand removal for vBulletin might be a good idea.

The $250 is "virtually nothing" for most companies that brand remove.

YMMV.

My business savvy side is still considering removing the brand when I purchase XenForo because I really don’t want my competition to have the same software as me.

My nice guy helpful side is considering keeping it to help XenForo, and also helping my members in my online community find great software for forums if they need it.

My frugal side is still trying to decide between the two.

Your users don't really care. It's small text at the bottom, and XenForo can easily still be identified simply by the layout and behaviour of the site, or viewing the source. It's not really overpriced and its removal doesn't add functionality, the $140 gets you access to the software. I don't see a lot of reason to remove the branding, and for those cases where you'd really want to I think $250 is more than reasonable.

I wouldn't say trying to make it look "custom" is a valid reason to fork up $250 to remove branding. If you have a really minimalistic style and want to remove a lot of the text, on some styles it looks better without any branding down there. But it's really personal preference.

You can remove it using CSS or by modifying templates, but any attempt to make it invisible, remove it, make it hard to see or modify its text violates the license agreement.

My business savvy side is still considering removing the brand when I purchase XenForo because I really don’t want my competition to have the same software as me.

My nice guy helpful side is considering keeping it to help XenForo, and also helping my members in my online community find great software for forums if they need it.

My frugal side is still trying to decide between the two.
The way I see it, people who are in the know, will know anyway? But your business savvy side is precisely why I did the same. As I mentioned previously, I see it as still supporting the team anyway by doing it.. It's a win win situation for us all isn't it. I get branding free and they get more money into the pot.
Worth noting you can buy it at any time so you can make the decision later if you don’t want to buy it now.
Indeed, I was using it for about 6+ months or so before purchasing ours. :)

That would be wrong, there are small medium and large sized hobby forums that remove the branding, it does not have to be business.
Agree, i have never really thought about having loads of members active. I just enjoy creating a forum and changing up the style. It’s a complete hobby for me rather then a business. If I could make money rain then I woukd consider removing it but I’m with most people I like having the branding displayed at the bottom.

Top Bottom