200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am Spanish and I have a hard enough having to put so many words.
Before was better for my taste, but 200-250 is a lot.
Not already put when I download something.
When I want to thank you for an update many times I say nothing that is not put why.
I'm in favor of that quota be lowered, since I do not think so many to thank something needed.
Greetings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola, yo soy Español y me cuesta bastante tener que poner tantas palabras.
Antes estaba mejor para mi gusto, pero 200 a 250 es mucho.
No se que poner ya cuando descargo algo.
Cuando quiero agradecer por una actualización muchas veces no digo nada porqué no se que poner.
Yo estoy a favor de que se rebaje esa cuota, ya que yo no creo que sea necesario tantos para agradecer algo.
Saludos.

And as no-one seems to have noticed yet...

View attachment 82842

I don't think 50 characters is going to be the difference here on XF.com. it's not so much the length of the limit, it's that there's any limit at all. People who want to leave a short thanks or appreciation in the form of a 5 star review feel put out when they feel they're forced to give more info or gratuitous praise when it was essentially a thumb up and thanks. Sure, long positive reviews are great, but the valuable info and feedback that should be sentence worthy is the lower reviews so the author gets quality feedback, right?

I think having a conditional check that applies these character limits to only certain start ratings (as suggested by Laurence) would really add a good bit of flexibility to the rating system that both XF.com ratings and other site admins could utilise.

It also seems like a good compromise here considering the very valid foreign speaker issue on this site. I'm sure there's many other conditions that could utilise this extra functionality in other forums. If it was implemented here the happy 5 star reviews would continue to stream in, helping new xf users find the best resources and increase activity in the RM and the authors of lesser rated resources will hopefully get some decent feedback from their users that they can act upon to improve the quality in the next iteration of their add ons, upping the quality of everything in the RM. :)

Last edited:
Sure, long positive reviews are great, but the valuable info and feedback that should be sentence worthy is the lower reviews so the author gets quality feedback, right?
The reviews aren't just for add-on authors, they are for prospective users too. Seeing 5 star reviews that just say, "Great!", "Brilliant", "Love it" tell me nothing and in all likelihood these reviews gave been made shortly after installing without any proper evaluation. Similarly 1 star reviews saying "Rubbish", "Doesn't work" are no use without any details.

These are supposed to be reviews, not brief signs of appreciation/fawning/disgruntlement from users. 250 characters was fine but now it's been reduced to 200 characters there really shouldn't be any further reduction. Anyone should be capable of a short review like that, whatever language they use (there's always Google Translate) or intelligence level they are.

lol when you dont have anything good to say about a resource thats a lot of complaining.. I really had to hammer it in there to get 250 the other day.. All i really wanted to say was that it didnt work.. I kinda felt bad when i was finished. :)

Hello, I am Spanish and I have a hard enough having to put so many words.
Before was better for my taste, but 200-250 is a lot.
Not already put when I download something.
When I want to thank you for an update many times I say nothing that is not put why.
I'm in favor of that quota be lowered, since I do not think so many to thank something needed.
Greetings.

289 characters add in the spaces and it's 366, well done!! you CAN do it!! Add in the Spanish and you have 606 characters add in the spaces makes a total of 758.

Maybe next time put that energy into writing a 200 character review
emoticon-0148-yes.gif

289 characters add in the spaces and it's 366, well done!! you CAN do it!! Add in the Spanish and you have 606 characters add in the spaces makes a total of 758.

Maybe next time put that energy into writing a 200 character review
emoticon-0148-yes.gif
There is a difference between discussing an idea and writing a review...

There is a difference between discussing an idea and writing a review...
If some of you put half the effort into actually writing a review than complaining about it you might just be able to manage something constructive
slaphead.gif

If some of you put half the effort into actually writing a review than complaining about it you might just be able to manage something constructive
slaphead.gif

There have been plenty of valid reasons why a 250 character minimum review doesn't make sense. What I would enjoy reading is less condescending posts back and forth over this. The minimum was changed to 200, so it seems there was enough concern to lower it.

slaphead.gif
There is a difference between complaining about a topic and writing a review...

There have been plenty of valid reasons why a 250 character minimum review doesn't make sense. What I would enjoy reading is less condescending posts back and forth over this. The minimum was changed to 200, so it seems there was enough concern to lower it.
Agreed! (y)

And now it's been lowered you still complain, I give up, about time some people grew up and had a reality check, it's 200 character ffs!!

There is a difference between complaining about a topic and writing a review...
My point proved with this ones repetitiveness because he simply isn't able to come up with something constructive, but has the ability moan instead.

I'm out, I'll get more sense talking to a brick wall!!

My point proved with this ones repetitiveness because he simply isn't able to come up with something constructive, but has the ability moan instead.

I'm out, I'll get more sense talking to a brick wall!!
I didn't know you could prove your point by calling people a brick wall. I guess, I need more English lectures. Thanks for opening my eyes mate! (y)

Where am I complaining about the 200 limit? You are the one on the attack with people.
I quoted your post wasn't directed at you, but at the silly people moaning about a character limit, as I said if half the effort was actually put into a review that they have put in complaining about it there wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure a dev would prefer to read something constructive than....yay great, fab addon, wicked mod and so on.

I didn't know you could prove your point by calling people a brick wall. I guess, I need more English lectures. Thanks for opening my eyes mate! (y)
Maybe you need to learn to read first, I said I'd get more sense TALKING to a brick wall not YOU are a brick wall!! Thanks mate!!
29.gif

I still say that a minimum character count should only be applied to low ratings (and maybe 5 star ratings as well). I think that compromise would sit well with XF's members, and still achieve XF's Staffs goal.

As I stated before writing a 250 character review is simple for larger add-ons and if your primary language is English. If XF came out and said reviews can only be written in French, for those who are for the minimum character limit, would you still take the time to write the reviews? No.

Since the character limit was applied the only reviews written (from what I seen so far), is by friends of the developer or by someone who requested a specific add-on to be created, and was. Minimum character reviews, as is, does not work for the majority of developers.

As for my add-ons, since the character limit was imposed, no reviews, however my "likes" count steadily increases. Probably just a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom