200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind having a character limit(I'm glad the functionality is there for us to use too) but there's plenty of really simple add-ons out there that deserve a 5 star rating but even I'd find it difficult putting a 250 character review on it.

Most downloaded add-on(according to the RM): https://xenforo.com/community/resources/most-online-users.218/

Simple and to the point but so basic a 250 character review would feel like I'm babbling if I would do a review for it.

With that said, I think it has it's benefits as well.

Runs and hides in the corner

I don't mind having a character limit(I'm glad the functionality is there for us to use too) but there's plenty of really simple add-ons out there that deserve a 5 star rating but even I'd find it difficult putting a 250 character review on it.

Most downloaded add-on(according to the RM): https://xenforo.com/community/resources/most-online-users.218/

Simple and to the point but so basic a 250 character review would feel like I'm babbling if I would do a review for it.

Russ said it does not, you are going to shoot you! :D

Run!
(y)

Last edited:

Good points Russ I agree. As the primary review I still think anyone could conjure up 250 characters but agreeing on the point you made and applying it to minor updates/bug fixes. I think these don't need those long bloated reviews but you still want to rate it because it's an update you most likely needed. Another example - Bringing said resource to x -version which most of the time is a minor fix which would certainly not benefit from long winded reviews.

Would actually be a nice feature to just rate with the ability of knowing who rated your resource.

I did originally say something similar a few posts back but screwed up the post when I missed a missing tag :P and accidentally removed it when i quoted somebody so agree with you there Russ.

A 250 character review is easy to write for larger add-0ns and style releases, but for smaller ones it may prove difficult. The visitors tab add-on I released is a good example. It does what it says: it gives you the option of replacing the visitors name and/or showing the visitors avatar in the visitors tab area. If someone manages to to write 250 characters about it, I'd be impressed. And if someone does, what about the next person? All they will end up writing is mostly a copy/paste of what the first review would state.

If people do not take the time to write reviews, what message is being sent to new potential XF license holders when they browse the add-ons? "Lots of add-ons, but no or little ratings... they can't be that good" (I'm not saying potential customers would come to this conclusion, but the possibility is there.)

Also, what about members whose primary language is not English? 250 characters in another language would be a struggle for sure. Yes, there is Google translate, but lol, those translated reviews would most likely read like they were written by someone who drank a 24 of beer prior, or stared way to long into a lava lamp.

Perhaps, maybe, just maybe, a 250 character review should only be applied for ratings of 3 stars or less? If someone feels strongly enough to rate an add-on low, then they have enough words to justify it.

Disclaimer: the above is my opinion only, and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of any sheep world-wide.

@Allan would you be happy if the limit was, say the same has a tweet, 140 Char?
I really do think there is a need for a min char, to stop the 3 word reviews.

Let's start a revolution and demand the count be reduced to 248 characters.

No ratings and reviews until it happens!!!!

:rolleyes:

Let's start a revolution and demand the count be reduced to 248 characters.

No ratings and reviews until it happens!!!!

:rolleyes:
Take it easy, lets start at 249 first :p

@Allan Has for the image 'showing' how the limit has 'been bad' for reviews, i have gone back down the pages to months before the limit, and have find pages the same, with almost no reviews on them, its all down to the content on any given page to if you will get a good number of reviews and eg, at times no new real good add-on's come out due to factors like a new version due, devs hold out for that version to be stable and that you get a flood of new add-on's and updates. Thats the point we are at now.

I guess I use the rating/review system differently.

I'm guilty of short reviews. I only add a review because I'm required to in order to rate it. And I want to rate it, not necessarily review it. I "like" the resource itself to say thanks again.

I just don't see how this is deemed an unworthy review for a super simple effective addon:

Awesome add-on, does exactly what it states perfectly.

Instead it should be:

Awesome add-on, does exactly what it states perfectly. The author shows they've put so much thought into this that it's really simple. So simple I love it so much. Even though this is a single option I never would of figured this out on my own so I appreciate it so much.

It's not that I'm opposed against writing a minimum amount, just feel like it I want to give the author praise my first "review" example should suffice. And speaking of "reviews" a lot has been mentioned as to how much users should weigh reviews and this minimum character will improve the effectiveness of the review system. I've never thought of the rating system on XenForo as something complex, but instead a quick way of giving the author some deserved credit. The system isn't something advanced where I can layout the pro's, con's, final thoughts and give ratings on different categories, it's more comparable to a comment system with stars.

I think this comes down to the huge variation of add-ons. Complex ones with a lot to write about can easily hit 250, simple ones that still deserve a 5 star end up babbling on making a review no more worthy than something simple.

Runs back in the corner

100-150 would have been ideal as a minimum. Personally stopped doing reviews of products since hitting this issue a few weeks back.

Reactions: rdn
Today I did a review for addon and had to type this. :
Quick easy install, works the way it should .Keep up the good work. wonder why reviews require so much additions to make a comment? Thank You....................................................................................................................

Just wondered if the word count could be lowered ?

Also not sure where to post this at so feeedback seemed the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom