200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the new review minimum is quite reasonable. It really isn't hard to string together a 250 character review with half an ounce of thought. People should stop moaning and either put in the effort or don't bother. The very short and one word reviews are frankly not worth having, they don't say anything worthy to prospective users.

250 is way too high!

I wanted to post one, but ultimately I did not because I did not know what to say. This penalizes authors !

I think it's quite easy to put together a decent review using 250 (or more) characters. The problem these days is people are lazy and don't want to put any effort in to things. The same people are probably quick enough to complain if a developer doesn't put in a decent amount of effort into an addon they write, but god forbid someone should have to put the same amount of effort into reviewing the addon. . . .

250 is way too high!

I wanted to post one, but ultimately I did not because I did not know what to say. This penalizes authors !
More thought required then. ;)

Has the general education of the internet generation sunk so low that a 250 character review is beyond the reach of most?
It seems to be heading this way, along with the capability of some 'admins' to carry out basic website management...

Or perhaps the attitude of people like you penalizes authors.

Has the general education of the internet generation sunk so low that a 250 character review is beyond the reach of most?
Stop the moral lesson.

It's not a matter of education, but just accept that people do not necessarily need 250 characters to express his opinion.
I think it's quite easy to put together a decent review using 250 (or more) characters. The problem these days is people are lazy and don't want to put any effort in to things. The same people are probably quick enough to complain if a developer doesn't put in a decent amount of effort into an addon they write, but god forbid someone should have to put the same amount of effort into reviewing the addon. . . .
Nothing to do with being lazy!

As I said above, this is not because the evaluation will more than 250 characters that will be honest, most of the time, a few words are enough to express emotion to an add-on.
I had zero issues getting 250 on a REAL review.
Find me an evaluation before this obligation with 250 characters?
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-inbox-alert-icon-replacement.2440/reviews

That does not bother you until now..

The only thing that bothers me is the requirement. I don't understand why developers impose such a restriction.

We should have the choice to express these emotions with the number of characters that you want, not impose by a system.

The only thing that bothers me is the requirement. I don't understand why developers impose such a restriction.

We should have the choice to express these emotions with the number of characters that you want, not impose by a system.

It's not a developers restriction, end users can edit the limit or turn it off, its a webmaster restriction and many will put them in place to try and bring better quality/value to their site.
Who really wants to read 10 reviews of "love it" when you can read 3-4 reviews that have some fact based content that gives better quality to others reading it, that might help them make their mind up about a item.

Just the same way, that many add a min characters limit to forum posts.

Quality over quantity.

Stop the moral lesson.

It's not a matter of education, but just accept that people do not necessarily need 250 characters to express his opinion.

Nothing to do with being lazy!

As I said above, this is not because the evaluation will more than 250 characters that will be honest, most of the time, a few words are enough to express emotion to an add-on.

Find me an evaluation before this obligation with 250 characters?
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-inbox-alert-icon-replacement.2440/reviews

That does not bother you until now..

Although you make some good points Allan the primary factor why people don't review and rate is because of pure laziness. #fact On the few occasions, where people struggle with English I suppose this would be a bit of an issue but that doesn't seem to be the case here for you since you haven't struggled with the post I'm quoting now. I agree that not every review needs to be long, dragged out review (applicable to update reviews) a primary review would benefit from a good honest thorough review.

Take for example: You requested in the xenforo suggestion area for them to implement the parsing of smilies in posts and you've made various profile updates with regards to this feature. Are you telling me with Milano's smiley updates (2 of them) First being the ability to parse smilies in profile updates and comments and the second update to have them parsed in the sideblock that you can't muster up enough words for a good honest review?

I'm not getting on your back allan, just saying and I suppose an opinion that I find it difficult to believe that you can't string enough words to show your gratitude, and comment about the updates he made to give that honest review. The beauty is, your not forced to actually review resources you need and used which is the position you've taken, your privilege. I just would have thought that an essential update/feature someone added would be enough for most to make a review which I'm sure the author of said resource would surely;y appreciate.

Not to worry, I'll take a few minutes to make a review for you on your behalf. (y)

Although you make some good points Allan the primary factor why people don't review and rate is because of pure laziness. #fact On the few occasions, where people struggle with English I suppose this would be a bit of an issue but that doesn't seem to be the case here for you since you haven't struggled with the post I'm quoting now. I agree that not every review needs to be long, dragged out review (applicable to update reviews) a primary review would benefit from a good honest thorough review.

Take for example: You requested in the xenforo suggestion area for them to implement the parsing of smilies in posts and you've made various profile updates with regards to this feature. Are you telling me with Milano's smiley updates (2 of them) First being the ability to parse smilies in profile updates and comments and the second update to have them parsed in the sideblock that you can't muster up enough words for a good honest review?

I'm not getting on your back allan, just saying and I suppose an opinion that I find it difficult to believe that you can't string enough words to show your gratitude, and comment about the updates he made to give that honest review. The beauty is, your not forced to actually review resources you need and used which is the position you've taken, your privilege. I just would have thought that an essential update/feature someone added would be enough for most to make a review which I'm sure the author of said resource would surely;y appreciate.

Not to worry, I'll take a few minutes to make a review for you on your behalf. (y)
I never said that I would find no words to achieve the famous 250 characters, but I find it simply astounding that are forced the people to writing some words more than they want. We should have the choice to be able to speak a few words without the need to seek other words to complete an absurd rule.

Finally, it does not matter, it does not bother that me he seem.

What there is in the tv this evening? :whistle:

I never said that I would find no words to achieve the famous 250 characters, but I find it simply astounding that are forced the people to writing some words more than they want. We should have the choice to be able to speak a few words without the need to seek other words to complete an absurd rule.

Finally, it does not matter, it does not bother that me he seem.

What there is in the tv this evening? :whistle:

Look allan, your not forced to do anything you don't want to do. It's simple - You either want to review and rate the resource that you are using and sorely needed and requested aggressively for, or you don't want to review. It's that simple, you choose the latter and that is perfectly fine. There are no victims here and it's your right not to review.

Take into account though that the resource/updates would have took far longer to develop/design than the 2 minutes it would take to rate.

We should have the choice to be able to speak a few words without the need to seek other words to complete an absurd rule.
It stops those rage-fuelled negative "crap mod" reviews that tell people nothing - so I'm all for the 250 minimum. If people have to stop and think about the review they want to write, they're less likely to write reviews that are posted because they're sulking over something.

I did not want to discuss that, everyone's opinion, I respect that of course.

I just added 2 screens resulting from this rule:

Resources   XenForo Community.webp

Screenshot_16.webp

Last edited:
Those are newest resources, eh?

Perhaps they are actually trying them out, working with them, etc... before they can give an honest review? Not just download and post "Awesome Add-Onz!!!!111!!!1oneeleven" without even using it yet, which is about as worthless of a review as you can get.

As far as the second image, there is always one that wants to be lame. It's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom