11 Questions for Xenforo.com

Cambion

So here is what I'd need to tip me over to the Xenforo sides of things

1.Increasing Characters on Status updates?

Is there anyway to extend the required characters for Xenforo Status Updates? I think a lot of my members would be slightly annoyed at 140 characters or less since our current forum(Invision Power Board) doesn't have a restriction.

2. Recent Post

On our Invision Powerboard we have a nifty little add-on that shows all the recent Posts at the top of our site above the forums PLUS It also has an amazing collage of all the members pics. Here's a Screenshot below.

Now i don't expect an exact mod but is there a mod that would show Recent Posts?
http://gyazo.com/cebcc4085a873227ce4a031ffc2c09a4.png?1363316433

3. Can Status Updates be shown on the sidebar to the side of where the forums are listed?

4. Members online in the past 24 hours? Is there an add-on for this?

5. Are you able to force stuff that normally appears in the sidebar down to the bottom of the forum?

6. Is there a way to redirect my old ipb links to the new XF links?

7. Spam Prevention Mods?

8. Is there a way to make Avatars show up on the main forum page where it lists all the forums on your site?

9. I'm using a Demo Version of XF and I Am not sure how the user promotions work? My site's usergroups are based on post count...as they reach a certain post count they automatically are placed into a new usergroup. Can this be done with XF?

10. SPeaking of usergroups, I am able to have different usergroup colors

11. User Ranks....Is there a user ranks system? The trophies thing sort of confuses me.
the user ranks on my site equal usergroups.

My members start off as Newbies and by 25 posts they become "Insane" usergroup. I am playing around a demo and can't figure this out to save my life.

The trophy thing confuses me.
How would one do this?

I think that's all the questions I have

1. On Database level this is possible, but I don't know if XF manually checks the limit on code level.

2. There is Widgets Framework (that shows recent posts on the side).

3. Widgets Framework has this feature.

4. Unpaid version (not sure if updated) here. Paid version here.

5. XenPorta has a layout engine that might make this possible, but it's limited to some contents and I haven't really tried before.

6. Think it's possible, but other people will know more.

7. Take a look at Resource Manager. Some addons include StopSpamHere and XenUtilies (which has this feature). 1.1.4 and 1.2 are including more anti-spam features as well.

8. Not sure what you mean.

9. User Promotions in XF actually means Paid Subscriptions in IPB/vB terminology. I don't use post-based promotion but it might exist somewhere...

10. Use the Usergroup Settings page's Username Markup CSS and use this code: color: #colourhere;

11. The same thing you find on vBulletin? If so, XenForo doesn't have this feature but I'm currently developing one (please don't expect a lot of progress as I am still a newbie at XF development)

A similar addon to this feature can be found here, but it doesn't have images support.

Answered by tyteen.
2. Recent Post
Answered by tyteen.
3. Can Status Updates be shown on the sidebar to the side of where the forums are listed?
Answered by tyteen.
4. Members online in the past 24 hours? Is there an add-on for this?
Answered by tyteen.
5. Are you able to force stuff that normally appears in the sidebar down to the bottom of the forum?
Yes Ive seen discuusions mentioning this for mobile view.
.6. Is there a way to redirect my old ipb links to the new XF links?
Yes.
7. Spam Prevention Mods?
New XF maintenance release has yet more + there are lots of good addons.
8. Is there a way to make Avatars show up on the main forum page where it lists all the forums on your site?
Your avatar shows top right. Staff, and your followed members online display avatars. I think there's an addon to show more.
9. I'm using a Demo Version of XF and I Am not sure how the user promotions work? My site's usergroups are based on post count...as they reach a certain post count they automatically are placed into a new usergroup. Can this be done with XF?
Yes.
10. SPeaking of usergroups, I am able to have different usergroup colors
No problem. Answered by tyteen.
11. User Ranks....Is there a user ranks system? The trophies thing sort of confuses me.
Trophies are awards or points you receive as gifts from ythe community. You as admin can set what kind of status or behaviour receives awards - length of membership, birthday, no of posts, etc
My members start off as Newbies and by 25 posts they become "Insane" usergroup. I am playing around a demo and can't figure this out to save my life.
Thats different to trophies. You can set usergroups to upgrade automatically.
There's a page to set it in the admincp you just select an activity and give it a number of points.

Could either of you Elaborate a little more?

1. What do you mean on a database level? Is there no setting to change it from 140 characters for a status update to say 160 or 300 characters?

2.When I say Avatars showing on your board index i mean like this...this IPS main forum page and it shows the last posters avatar on the side of the individuals forums stats.

8203faad030d50aadc3f3cab682dfc67.png

There's a page to set it in the admincp you just select an activity and give it a number of points.

A similar addon to this feature can be found http://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-rank-ribbons.33308/page-15]here[/url], but it doesn't have images support.

Could either of you Elaborate a little more?

1. What do you mean on a database level? Is there no setting to change it from 140 characters for a status update to say 160 or 300 characters?
Members' statuses are profile posts. I've seen profile posts longer than 140 characters, so I assume this is technically doable. In the database, the message data is of 'mediumtext' type. Here's what MySQL documentation tells about mediumtext:
A TEXT column with a maximum length of 16,777,215 (224 – 1) characters. The effective maximum length is less if the value contains multi-byte characters. Each MEDIUMTEXT value is stored using a 3-byte length prefix that indicates the number of bytes in the value.

2.When I say Avatars showing on your board index i mean like this...this IPS main forum page and it shows the last posters avatar on the side of the individuals forums stats.

8203faad030d50aadc3f3cab682dfc67.png
You should have a look at Waindigo's Last Post Avatar addon : http://xenforo.com/community/resources/last-post-avatar-by-waindigo-win-edition.266/ It seems to achieve what you want to do.

the user ranks on my site equal usergroups.

This is built in. It's in the ACP, Users, User Group Promotions. You can specify that a user will be added to X usergroup after they post Y times, etc. It's very powerful, can create a promotion based on nearly any set of conditions.

Top Bottom