1 Year Extension

Pierre Boulanger

Hello,

I have decided to purchase 1 Year Extension and I’m really struggle to decide between 1.5.x and 2.x
I have approximately 30 active users, a close group of people and I’m trying to avoid what I’ve been through when I first installed the forum 5 years ago.

If I got it right if I choose 2.x verion nothing stays as is now not even the style, add-ons, customization etc is that right?
What about xenporta which is still very useful for me? Is there any alternative solution? Site headers, avatars etc will be preserved? The translations (greek) should be made from scratch? What else should I be aware of?

If I choose 1.5.x it will be an easier transition? Is it going to be supported with future releases?

The forum is currently running the 1.4.2 version.

Any kind of info or advice will be grandly appreciated.

You're correct that all add-ons and styles will need to be updated before they will work with XF2. Your style is mostly just a recolour of the default style. Some of these colours will carry over automatically but it will certainly need some manual adjustments after upgrading. There are lots of new phrases in XF2 but any old phrases which are still relevant will still be translated.

There's an XF2 version of XenPorta now so you should be able to upgrade to that.

XF 1.5 would be easier to upgrade to as there will be fewer changes you need to make to add-ons and styles, but it is indeed approaching a time where we will no longer be supporting it. It makes sense to move on sooner, rather than later.

I went straight from MyBB -> Xenforo 1.5 -> XF 2 and even with installing next to nothing, people still commented about some of the stuff that was lost from XF1. Smilies, harder to get to the conversations list on mobile, etc. The fact that the 1.x style I installed stayed made me panic for a bit because it looked like I broke something.

If anything, going to 1.5 would buy you a bit of time while a few more addons update.

Smilies are not lost, they are just different. You can even (manually) re-add the original smilies if needed.

I don't believe it is harder to get to your list of conversations on mobile. It should be the same...

On the contrary you only need to wait for a "few more addons" to update if you actually need to wait for them. Many add-ons have already been updated to XF2. Certainly XenPorta has. It doesn't "buy you a bit of time" it just delays the inevitable.

The smilies thing might be because MyBB has several more as default, and XF2's default list looks really sparse. I usually ignore smilies, but in my 'what do we have missing from MyBB?' someone commented on that.

Try tapping to get into the inbox on the default styles in 2.0 (without holding). At least on my Note 8 it is frustrating. I have a lot more things on my 'to fix' list to get to that, but I can understand that a few of my users find it highly aggravating.

Hello,

I have decided to purchase 1 Year Extension and I’m really struggle to decide between 1.5.x and 2.x
Any kind of info or advice will be grandly appreciated.

You do realise the extension buys you either, or rather both. I would advise you buy it, upgrade to 1.5 but install 2 and test it on a development site. That's what I did and once I got to learn the differences, i realised quite a few addons weren't needed. I saw it as an opportunity to cull some of the less useful or used addons. Plus widgets make it easy to create a nice portal page, no addon needed for that in my case.

Smilies, harder t get to the conversations list on mobile, etc.

I had no problems with smileys.

Issues with conversations were the other way round, I had members complaining about the conversation list on desktop, that seems to be the biggest issue but not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom