Cannot reproduce [1.3rc1] Redactor editor behavior in Android

Wildcat Media

Using either my Nexus 7 or Nexus 4, there is a quirk in the editor that I have found. When typing on a keyboard, the editor works properly where I can click on, say, the Italics button, type a bit of text, then click the button again to turn off Italics. On Chrome in Android (stock KitKat on the Nexus 7), once you've turned on Italics in this manner you cannot turn it off with a second button tap. The only way to fix the styling is to go back and highlight the text and click the Italics button to clear it.

Another quirk is that the editor sometimes seems "sticky". Sometimes I cannot backspace at the end of a word. I have to move the cursor elsewhere and reposition it where I need it (or somewhere close by) in order to get backspace to move again. I also cannot erase smilies using backspace (usually right after I have inserted them from the menu bar).

Also, when medium-pressing in the editor (longer than a tap, but shorter than the interval to activate text selection), this should activate a "Paste" button at the spot in the text where you want the text to appear. The appearance of the button is erratic. Sometimes it appears, but disappears when you lift your finger. Others, it has difficulty appearing. In other web forms and some apps, it works properly.

I am seeing the issue here as well as on my test forum running the latest release candidate.

Nothing critical here, but just wanted to bring it to your attention for a current or future fix.

I recently upgraded to a snapdragon 800 based phone and the xenforo wysiwyg editor is still almost unusable compared to the responsiveness of the plain text editor, especially in Firefox for android

The default really needs to be the plain text editor on android

I noticed another oddity today. Editing a post I was composing. I had the cursor down a couple of lines. I backspaced to erase a bit, and the text was erased around a smiley! In other words, it's as though the backspace bypassed the smiley entirely, but still erasing the text on both sides of it. I couldn't get rid of the smiley in the Redactor editor.

The default really needs to be the plain text editor on android

That may not be a bad idea, at least not until Redactor can do it properly. I notice less "sticky" when typing though, so I do see improvement from XF 1.2. :agree: (I "swipe" on the stock Android keyboard, and words are now appearing nearly instantly for me on both a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.)

FWIW, I have the Xposed Framework installed on the Nexus 7, and I can do a video screenshot if needed. Xposed is pretty cool.

The smilie issue is a browser issue that can't be worked around; it was posted before and marked as a browser issue.

Sorry. Maybe I won't bother reporting anything anymore.
I think you've taken that the wrong way.

I keep backspacing and the cursor jumps to elsewhere in the post and starts deleting the wrong stuff - twice thats happened now. I've noticed the odd quirk in the plain text editor also though to be honest.

Sometimes I cannot backspace at the end of a word. I have to move the cursor elsewhere and reposition it where I need it (or somewhere close by) in order to get backspace to move again.
I can confirm this on the Moto X. I think a lot of times it does this after pasting something.

Another quirk is that the editor sometimes seems "sticky". Sometimes I cannot backspace at the end of a word. I have to move the cursor elsewhere and reposition it where I need it (or somewhere close by) in order to get backspace to move again.

I have this issue when the phone locks and I come back to finish a reply later. However it seems more like an issue on the android end as its almost as if the text prediction is hanging on the beginning of the last word typed. Nexus 5 on CM11.

In general, any typing or OS-/browser-level behaviors are things we have little control over and often can't influence. The inability to backspace at times, backspacing over a smiley, or the "paste" option not appearing are good examples of this - it's possible some of these are Android keyboard system quirks or it's possible (likely?) that these are browser issues. (I'd have to check again, but I seem to recall that keydown/keypress wasn't even being fired in Android in the past. That meant that not only were the behaviors internal, we didn't have a good way to even listen to some of them.)

The italics issue is likely the one that we have the most potential influence over and is worth investigating.

In general, any typing or OS-/browser-level behaviors are things we have little control over and often can't influence.
The italics issue is likely the one that we have the most potential influence over and is worth investigating.

Agreed--it's a difficult thing to troubleshoot. I am not familiar enough with Redactor's inner workings, but all of us here are more than happy to provide some real-world testing if needed. Thank you for looking into it. :)

Using either my Nexus 7 or Nexus 4, there is a quirk in the editor that I have found. When typing on a keyboard, the editor works properly where I can click on, say, the Italics button, type a bit of text, then click the button again to turn off Italics. On Chrome in Android (stock KitKat on the Nexus 7), once you've turned on Italics in this manner you cannot turn it off with a second button tap. The only way to fix the styling is to go back and highlight the text and click the Italics button to clear it.
So I can't reproduce this in Chrome on my Nexus 5. The button does maintain the hover state, but that's just a visual thing. It correctly toggles on on off as I type (as it works on the desktop).

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Same with my tablet - the button looks as if is still selected but the italics tags aren't being applied.

More annoyingly is the fact that the text isn't displayed in italics so I have to switch to the plain text editor to actually see them.

Regarding what @Brogan has noticed: there's an issue with sans-serif, italic fonts in some cases. It appears that it may be Samsung specific. More details here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=169446 In this case, the italics insert correctly but they have no visual change -- you can validate this by flipping to the plain editor.

This shouldn't apply to the Nexus 7 mentioned in the first message, so I don't think that's the same as the original report.

Regarding what @Brogan has noticed: there's an issue with sans-serif, italic fonts in some cases. It appears that it may be Samsung specific. More details here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=169446 In this case, the italics insert correctly but they have no visual change -- you can validate this by flipping to the plain editor.

This shouldn't apply to the Nexus 7 mentioned in the first message, so I don't think that's the same as the original report.

I cannot tell from my end if it is OS or Chrome browser related. If there weren't this pond between us, I'd drop the Nexus 7 off for you to test. Thing is, aside from some enhancements for layout, wouldn't Chrome be the same on any of the Nexus devices? I have the same behavior on both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, and the Nexus 7 has the "official" KitKat (not a custom ROM, whereas my Nexus 4 runs LiquidSmooth).

So I can't reproduce this in Chrome on my Nexus 5. The button does maintain the hover state, but that's just a visual thing. It correctly toggles on on off as I type (as it works on the desktop).
Can anyone else reproduce this?
Just testing on my Nexus 7 (latest gen, stock ROM, chrome) and it seems to toggle okay other than the button state. The text changes as expected, but the button state remains.

If you change focus (click outside the editor) it appears
to clear the button state - I assume this is the hover state?

The button state tracking is disabled on mobiles for performance reasons (it was the biggest thing that caused slowdowns in Android).

I've noticed this both on my N7 and my N5, and it can be really annoying.

It took me several attempts to post using my phone one night...

Typing can be erratic, and I've had the stickyness.

I previously reported the smiley delete issue...

The strange thing is, it seems to happen on and off. I made this post fine...

EDIT: One thing though, probably browser issue, is that sometimes I have to click below the post reply button for it to actually be clicked, otherwise it acts as if I clicked the editor...

Liam

EDIT: One thing though, probably browser issue, is that sometimes I have to click below the post reply button for it to actually be clicked, otherwise it acts as if I clicked the editor...

I've noticed this pretty regularly with my Droid Razr on Chrome.

Top Bottom